PDA

View Full Version : Roodle, a gentle dog. 199?-2004

morgan
10-24-2004, 07:25 AM
The start of this collie's life was not pleasant. We don't know what went on before he was discovered in a back yard, fully grown, gaunt, starved to two-thirds his healthy body weight, nearly naked from skin diseases.
In the world of pet rescue the animals are categorizable as strays, unwanted animals (technically called "owner release"), and a third category delicately referred to as "involuntary owner release". He was in the third.
The woman from Sheltie Rescue did the legal formalities and picked him up; she brought him to Austin Collie Rescue where about three months of tender care revived him to a state where he looked presentable; after that we were the lucky ones who adopted him.

His response to his brutal start in life?

He was the most gentle dog I've ever met. Slow, warm, goofy, utterly relaxed.
He was the most eager, in his slow-moving soft way, to make new friends.
His favorite pastime was to be taken on a walk past the school at busy times, where crowds of kids would run to surround him, screaming "Lassie! Lassie!"; and he would wear a huge grin at the outpouring of friendship, and lean gently against the kids.

He came to be called Roodle because, on a walk, if he spotted a child fifty yards away, he'd start whine-howling: "oo Rooo oo RoodleRoodle Roo" meaning "I see a child! Take me to it now!"

Given a real home, and steady food, he grew radiant in beauty, a classic Collie with a luxuriant coat. He could have stood beside the glamour Collies of the movies and they'd have looked dim and pale by comparison. His rescuers would see him on a social occasion and marvel : "you can't mean it! Is that the same dog?"

Nobody knows how old he was.

His strength started fading -- with strange rapidity -- last summer. The weight fell off him; his limbs weakened; he became confused, and sometimes couldn't get up. Nothing turned up in medical tests. At last we judged -- hoping we were right, but with the awful uncertainty of such occasions -- that it was time to help him to his end. He drifted off quietly, held and petted by owner and rescuer.

And so, now he is gone.

delidog
10-24-2004, 07:42 AM
Oh Dear Roodle!!!
Godspeed to The Rainbow Bridge Sweet Sheltie...

You will be healed and Happy again while you wait for your Loving Owner..

My Heart goes out to You too,Dear Morgan...I know that no Words can express the loos that you feel right now...Just Know That Roodle is in a Better Place,and in Your Heart Forever

Thinking of you & Roodle

Sudilar
10-24-2004, 10:10 PM
What a beautiful tribute! I'm glad Roodle knew love in your home, Morgan. My heart goes out to you. RIP, gentle Roodle.

Cincy'sMom
10-25-2004, 12:39 AM
RIP Dear Roodle. Morgan, my thoughts are with you. What a nice tribute to a wonderful dog

pipersmom
10-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Play happily at the Bridge dear, gentle Roodle.

Morgan-your tribute was beautiful.

LorraineO
10-25-2004, 11:59 AM
roodle sounds like a one in a million dog. You wereso blessed to have spent time with him as his human....

Rest easy and play hard at the RB sweet Roodle!

tatsxxx11
10-27-2004, 04:12 PM
How blessed your beloved Roodle was to have found such a warm, loving, devoted family like yours. Dogs never cease to amaze me in their capacity to forgive the abuse and neglect heaped upon them and learn to trust and love once more. Your Roodle certainly was an extra special doggie and it moved me so to read how much he cherished life and all things living:) How those children must have loved the attention he showered them with. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful soul with us, Morgan. I know your precious boy waits patiently there at the Rainbow Bridge for that joyful day when you and he will be reunited in love. My heartfelt condolences to you and your family on your great loss. Bless you beautiful Roodle. Love, Sandra