PDA

View Full Version : We're still in this together

ChrisH
10-24-2004, 06:01 AM
US welcomes UK troop deployment

The US has welcomed a decision by the UK to redeploy troops to central Iraq after it asked for assistance. Five hundred Black Watch soldiers and 350 support personnel will move from Basra to the US sector in central Iraq, but remain under British control.
US State Department spokesman Richard Boucher praised Britain's support, saying it demonstrated "the kind of role that Britain is prepared to play".
The redeployment was announced by Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon on Thursday after ministers agreed to the US request, based on a recommendation from Gen Walker.

BRITISH REDEPLOYMENT
500 Black Watch soldiers with up to 50 Warrior armoured vehicles
100 Queen's Dragoon Guards with 12 Scimitar armoured vehicles
50 Royal Marines light infantry from 40 Commando
300 support personnel such as engineers, logisticians, signallers and medics

Mr Boucher said: "It just demonstrates, once again, the kind of role that Britain is prepared to play in a matter that affects their security and our security, the security of all of us, and that is stabilising Iraq and helping the people of Iraq take control of their destiny and reconstruct their country."
Details of when and where Black Watch will go have not been disclosed, but officials have said it will be within a large area to the south and west of Baghdad.

Gen Walker said the troops will be under "tactical control" of the US commander, but "he has no authority to give them orders that would, in any way, be against the doctrine and training that we would undertake".
"This is an unusual deployment in the context of what has happened so far in Iraq, but this is business as usual for us in the military."
Gen Walker added: "We have a clear-cut task, within a clear-cut geography and time limits."
He reiterated the government's promise that Black Watch will be home for Christmas.
Mr Hoon told MPs there was a "compelling military operational justification" for the move, and it entailed a "militarily acceptable" level of risk.

Preparations for the redeployment have been under way at the Black Watch's base in Basra, in southern Iraq, for several days.
The regiment's Warrior armoured fighting vehicles have been reinforced to provide better protection against possible insurgent attacks.

Shadow Defence Secretary Nicholas Soames said the Tories supported the redeployment as "a necessary military contribution" but criticised the length of time taken to announce a decision, after initial reports of the US request emerged last Friday.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3764912.stm

EDIT: The Black Watch are Scottish regiment, one of the most famous in the British Army. This is a link to a profile, if you are interested.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3752068.stm

The 100 Queens Dragoon Guards mentioned are a largely Welsh regiment. (Wales is my part of the UK)

Welsh troops prepare for Iraq tour
Soldiers from The Queen's Dragoon Guards - the Welsh Cavalry - are reported to be supporting 500 soldiers from the Black Watch in the US sector.
The Welsh Cavalry armoured reconnaissance unit, which could be sent to support the Black Watch, will consist of 100 men and 12 Scimitar armoured fighting vehicles.

Simon Pearson, who runs military consultancy BH Parners, told BBC Radio Wales he believed the US required support in some of the areas under its control in preparation for a planned assault on the insurgent stronghold of Falluja.

"What the Americans are preparing for is a four to five week assault on Feluja.
"They've puled out 800 to 1,000 combat troops to go and deal with that.
"Felujah lies 35-40 miles to the north west of Iskandariya which is where I understand the Black Watch and the Queen's Dragoon Guards are going.
"There's no doubt we are getting slightly deeper into it.

'Morale high'
"The military planners will have done an assessment which would have said that we need some light armoured support and that's where the Queen's Dragoon Guards come in.
"I think they are being put slightly more at risk than they are in Basra. But from what I hear morale is very high and they are looking forward to it."

Preparations for the redeployment have been under way at the Black Watch's base in Basra for several days.
The Welsh Cavalry, which has its home at Maindy Barracks in Cardiff, recruits mainly from Wales, Herefordshire and Shropshire.
They are undertaking their second tour of duty in Iraq.

During their first tour, which ended earlier this year, reconnaissance tanks from the Queen's Dragoon Guards were at the spearhead of British operations around Basra.
Members of the regiment were rewarded for their efforts in destroying more than 20 Iraqi tanks by being presented with the Commando dagger by the Royal Marines.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3763758.stm

May God bless and bring them all, American and British, back home safe and sound.

Chris

tatsxxx11
10-24-2004, 03:13 PM
I just hate that your men and women have to be there and put more into harms way, Chris. We Americans cherish the friendship we share with our Brit cousins. Suffice it to say that we are so very, very grateful for your unwavering support and friendship. You're always there for us and I hope you know we would be there for you too! I had to laugh though this morning. The news was on as I was getting dressed and I overheard the reporter reading an editorial in one of your papers, The Guardian re: the need for voting Bush out of office. No words minced there in describing what he thought of our Pres. I think he finally offered an apology for being a bit harsh.

KYS
10-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Ditto for me too and I also very much appreciate and charish the friendship between our countries.

gini
10-26-2004, 10:45 AM
I have thought about this thread a lot. I would have thought that there would have been many more responses than just two.

I had p/m's Chris with my own thoughts and gratitude.

We have asked for assistance..........and once again Britain is giving it to us.

Regardless of what you think of this war...........the fact that we are being aided shouldn't be ignored.

When I think of all of these fine young men going off on such dangerous missions instead of say.......going down to the pub for a pint..........or out to see their girlfriends and families - it makes me sad.

It is my dream that all of these young men from our country and Britain's can come home soon and get back to a normal life.

Logan
10-26-2004, 10:50 AM
It is my dream that all of these young men from our country and Britain's can come home soon and get back to a normal life.

That is my dream too, Gini, for the men and women who are protecting our countries and our world.

Thank you, Chris, for bringing this to our attention. I should have responded before now.

Logan

Lady's Human
10-26-2004, 09:11 PM
Having trained with British troops in the past, I have the utmost respect for them. Thank you to the UK for sending troops to assist us.

Karen
10-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Thank you, and all of the UK, for the support you are giving our troops in this awful, difficult time.

I do think sometimes the media gets so caught up in the "excitement :rolleyes: " of elections and the influence they might have (my Ma must be shaking her fist at them for heaven, as she was a reporter who was taught - and believed strongly - that a responsible reporter should report, not advocate) forget that real men and women's lives are at stake in a war. It doesn't matter who starts the war, the armed forces are the ones sent in to do the dirty work, to make the sacrifices, bear the wounds, and fight the battles.

Could we maybe make every politician serve one "tour of duty" with actual troops after they are elected but before they begin to serve? Would they learn anything?

I digress. Chris please accept our thanks on behalf of your countrymen and women.

Lady's Human
10-26-2004, 11:05 PM
Karen, a term of service for a politician wouldn't matter. One of the greatest wartime leaders in the US never wore a uniform (My apologies to those in my family who couldn't stand FDR), while one of the worst was a decorated veteran. (LBJ)

ChrisH
10-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Thank you all for the good thoughts.

My opinion is that if the situation were reversed the US would redeploy troops for us Brits. That's what friends and allies do. Thats why I've titled this thread the way I have.

Just so you know, not everyone over here agrees with me though. There has been some disagreement in some quarters about the redeployment of the British soldiers.

But what I have seen and heard from the soldiers themselves, their attitude is so matter of fact sort of it's 'their job '. It is what they are trained for, it is what they do. They go in peace but will fight if they need to. I am sure is the attitude of the US boys out there too.

Lord, please bring them all home safe and sound.

Chris

momoffuzzyfaces
10-27-2004, 01:30 PM
(((HUGS TO THE UK)))
It's nice to know we aren't in this alone!

We have gone past the point of whether we should be in Iraq.

The fact is we are there and we can't walk out and leave them in a mess. We owe it to them to help them get a new government set up and running. If they want to change that government after we leave, that's their business but we can't abandon them at this point.

Thanks to all our allies!

ramanth
10-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Yay for the UK!

*HUGS*