PDA

View Full Version : Da Vinci Code

primabella
10-23-2004, 10:36 AM
I have just finished reading the book "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown and I thought it was amazing. :D

It is just so interesting and so well written, so even if the things said are not true, it is just a great GREAT novel to read anyways. I couldn't put it down. :p

Had anybody else read it?

manda_moo87
10-23-2004, 10:45 AM
No, I haven't yet but would like to. I know several peopl who have recently read it and they've all told me how great it was.

GoldenRetrLuver
10-23-2004, 10:46 AM
My mom read it, and she said it was great. :D Maybe I'll have to pick it up and read it one day, too..

Karen
10-23-2004, 10:57 AM
I know people who have loved it, and people who thought it was just awful. I haven't read it, and am not particularly tempted to.

tatsxxx11
10-23-2004, 11:03 AM
I'm with you, Liana...Then again, we share a love for Agatha Chrhistie;) One of the best books I've read in years. I couldn't put it down and finished it in just over a day. Not only was it one of the best written books I've read in ages, with the most fasincating, twisting and turning plot, but if you love mystery, have any interest at all in history, art, world travel you'll love it! Not only did I enjoy it, I learned so much about ancient history, art history, etc. And I never felt that Brown was actually trying to convince anyone of the truth of the premise of his book but it certianly was intriguing!

Logan
10-23-2004, 11:34 AM
I enjoyed it very much as well, Sandra and Liana (of course, Sandra, you know that already). I read it as the fiction it is, and enjoyed it for many of the same reasons. Even my minister said it was a "great work of fiction". ;)

primabella
10-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Glad to hear of some other fans. :)

Hehe yes, it does cover some controversial issues but I just loved learning about the symbology and the rituals ect. I can't say if they're true or not but it certainly helped me to see these things in a different light.

Not only was it one of the best written books I've read in ages, with the most fasincating, twisting and turning plot, but if you love mystery, have any interest at all in history, art, world travel you'll love it! Not only did I enjoy it, I learned so much about ancient history, art history, etc. And I never felt that Brown was actually trying to convince anyone of the truth of the premise of his book but it certianly was intriguing!

I totally agree. :D

I can't wait to read "Angels and Demons" by Brown. Have you read it?

Crikit
10-23-2004, 11:45 AM
Nope, I seem to be avoiding it...actually I'm kind of sick of seeing it. Then again when you get to see boxes upon boxes of it that can happen sometimes. :D

Barbara
10-23-2004, 01:18 PM
I have read it. The author has gathered a lot of culture and information but I thought the story was boring. You know already these perfect guys will solve it all and the end is simply annoying.

primabella
10-23-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Barbara
I have read it. The author has gathered a lot of culture and information but I thought the story was boring. You know already these perfect guys will solve it all and the end is simply annoying.

I see where you're coming from and I can agree. I just loved seeing how the situations would all tie in together. :)

Cincy'sMom
10-23-2004, 03:33 PM
I really enjoyed it. I also read Digital Fortess, by the same author, andl ike that one as well. I would like to read Angels and Demons (the prequal to DaVinci Doce), but I haven't found it at the used bookstore yet :)

chrissycat21
10-23-2004, 04:15 PM
My mom just finished the Da Vinci Code. My dad started reading it, so I guess I'm next in line! I read the first few pages, but that was it.

primabella
10-24-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
I really enjoyed it. I also read Digital Fortess, by the same author, andl ike that one as well. I would like to read Angels and Demons (the prequal to DaVinci Doce), but I haven't found it at the used bookstore yet :)

What is the main idea of Digital Fortress? I'd love to read this one too.. :)

AmberLee
10-24-2004, 11:56 PM
I loved both "The Da Vinci Code" and "Angels and Demons" but don't recommend reading them too close together. There was a lot of similarity it the plot twists that rather gave some of the clues away too quickly for me. (Yep, I read them both as fiction with a bunch of truth thrown in to give their unlikely plots some plausibility. Several friends have been left with faith concerns now, though... Sad.)

Sirrahsim
10-25-2004, 07:35 AM
Yes, it is not a good book for someone who is uncertain about their faith and beliefs to read. It is obviously fiction (come on now, honestly:rolleyes: ) but the arguments in that piece of fiction are laid out in a very convincing fashion. It was a good read that I blasted through in 2 days. I would have gotten through it in one day but I can only read on an airplane for so long before I start to feel sick:rolleyes: :D

Barbara
10-25-2004, 07:48 AM
Of course the book is fiction. And like most good fiction books it borrows some information from reality. These informations are gathered in an intelligent way but cannot be taken literally.

The grail is a very old mythos that has been described in libraries of literature (e.g. everything dealing with King Artus). However it is very unlikely that it exists in the form of the chalice that was used to collect Jesus' blood at the cross- and it is even more unlikely that it exists as a collection of secret documents proving a different role of women in the Christian church as postulated in the Da Vinci Code.

This does not make the book worse: in books it is allowed to invent whatever you want. The reason I didn't like the book too much are more in the structure of the story.

FizzGiggs_Mommy
10-25-2004, 08:25 AM
I am almost done reading the book and I L-O-V-E it. Once I am done it I plan on going out and getting others from Dan Brown. I love how he ties fact in the book with fiction.

saraheth8705
10-26-2004, 08:27 AM
I've read it and am absolutely obsessed with it. I don't necessarily agree with everything it says, but the proof it gives is very convincing. Have you actually gone through to check everything it says? the little mermaid scene is probably my favorite. It's just so odd all of these things are placed around. I guess im just not one to string them together. Has anyone read angels and demons? its his book before da vinci code.