PDA

View Full Version : Obsessed Dog

senorita02
10-23-2004, 10:05 AM
Does anyone have 2 dogs where one of them is obsessed with the other one?
My Senorita who is 2 yrs old has been soooo attached to our 5 yr old Rott since she was brought home 2 yrs back, she will not leave his side EVER.
If i take him for a ride or walk she goes nuts, she wont go outside without him & she wont come inside without him either, if by chance they do get seperated like her being outside , when she comes in she frantically searches for him with her fur standing up and her eyes giant, plus she has to sleep on top of him and sit on top of him (and she is quite large, bigger than him) he is the dominant dog, but i worry how to break her of this , i want her to be more independant, and secure without him always at her side, any ideas, or has anyone expreinced the same thing?

sammy101
10-23-2004, 10:51 AM
well,since she grew up with Face,she probably is very attatched to him.She obviously loves him very much;) Im not really sure on how to make her more independent.Ive never really experienced anything like that.My godparents GSD's were very attatched to eachother,they would go every where together.similar to was Rita does,but only they both did it,not just one dog.
im sorry i dont know how to help you and Rita,mabye ask a behavorist?? or call an obeidiance school and ask if they know how to break it.

GraciesMommy
10-23-2004, 10:56 AM
My mom has 2 bichons and they are that way too. They are one year apart..Snowy had to stay at the vet a couple of weeks ago and mom that Rudy was going to grieve himself to death. Wouldn't eat..whined...sat in the window..but they are jealous of one another too when it comes to her affection..lol

senorita02
10-23-2004, 02:06 PM
Thanks Guys, the other sad thing i forgot to add was when she was a pup she thought he was her mother and tried to breast feed on him , it was cute, but sad, the lady we got her from took her away from her mother at birth and had a surrogate mother dog breast feed her, because her litter mates and her mother were mean to her. Poor Baby.

greysandmoregreys
10-23-2004, 08:58 PM
I would try to start with just baby steps with her.

Take her outside by herself and leave your boy inside. Maybe intice her with food, or a treat, or something to distract her to get her outside and then keep her entertained and her mind off of the boy that she's missing.

Just for short periods of time and try to lenghten them out.

All happy happy joy joy while she is away from him.

Sounds like she's in love BIG TIME

senorita02
10-23-2004, 10:14 PM
Thanks Greyhounds, she is sooo in love, i dont blame her he is one handsome Rott!
But i will try what u said to do.:D

sammy101
10-23-2004, 10:32 PM
thats a good idea greys! mabye just go outside with her and walk around with her,so she doesnt feel like she's left out or anything.
good luck!!:)

greysandmoregreys
10-24-2004, 05:11 PM

It was funny because as I was typing I"m going ok just get her outside but with a big girl like Rita it's sometimes easier said than done :) LOL

I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure Rita is a very smart girl but also stubborn when she wants to be.

My big bridge boy Laz, at 165lb would get into moods when we were walking that he didn't want to walk anymore :o OK how do you get a 165 boy being walked by a 105lb human to move him?

You get inventive ;)

senorita02
10-24-2004, 05:36 PM
That so funny , same here, she listens very well though, otherwise i wouldnt even attempt to walk her alone, but shes a good girl, but its still a challenge at times. :D