PDA

View Full Version : I quite...

Katiesmom
10-22-2004, 10:42 PM
I quite smoking today:D I put on a patch this morning and haven't had a cigarette all day:eek: So I am on my way to being smoke free...."Pats self on back":p

I know this is a senseless thread but I just wanted to share since this was something important in my life that I have wanted kick and I'm on my way...and I just want spread the excitement I am feeling right now:D

slleipnir
10-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Congrats :D I know how hard it must be, both my parents smoked for years and finally quit. I hope the never start again lol

Katiesmom
10-22-2004, 10:46 PM
Thank you! It is hard and once I quite I'll never start back:)

Rottieluver45
10-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Yay!! Good job!! Nobody needs to smoke!! Now you're second hand smoke won't hurt innocent people!!! :)

I'm REALLY glad you stopped!! :)

Congrats on not having a cigarette all day!

Fox-Gal
I hope it works for you. I know I've tried and it's hard to quit, ever time I get to where I think I made it, something comes up in my life that makes me go back to smoking.

I'll have my fingers crossed for you that your'll be smoke free very soon. It might even give me hopes that I can try again.

So do it for both of us. :D ;) lol

slick
This is anything BUT a senseless thread.
CONGRATULATIONS FOR DECIDING TO QUIT SMOKING!!! It's a BIG step and might be a difficult one to keep up, but please keep in mind that there are all kinds of support out there (including us :)). I work for the Canadian Cancer Society and we host a Quitline for those in your position. It's a free service where people can call in for support and suggestions to overcome the addiction. Maybe you could contact your local office.

A big applause to you!!! **clap clap clap** Please keep us posted. I know you can do it!!

Kfamr
10-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Congrats!!

I hope you're successful.

GoldenRetrLuver
10-22-2004, 10:54 PM
Good for you!!!!! :D

We're here for ya!

Katiesmom
10-22-2004, 10:54 PM
Thanks everyone, with people like you around I know I can do it:)

I'll have my fingers crossed for you that your'll be smoke free very soon. It might even give me hopes that I can try again.

Keep trying and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as well:D

Yay!! Good job!! Nobody needs to smoke!! Now you're second had smoke won't hurt innocent people

Your right and my main concern was my 3 year old son who I was hurting by smoking he is the main reason I am quitting he kept telling me to stop that It was nasty and well I'm finally doing it. I didn't think I could:D

rg_girlca
10-22-2004, 10:55 PM
This is definitely NOT a senseless thread.
Good for you on making the best decision in your life that you will not regret.
This is the first day, of the rest of your life.
Will power and one day at a time is what it takes.

Congratulations and please keep us updated on how well you are doing and if you find yourself getting discouraged or feeling down, please come back and talk to us and we will get you through this.

catnapper
10-22-2004, 11:08 PM
Congratulations!

Soon you'll be getting your sense of smell back, and wonder how on earth you could stand being around smoke in the first place! Your teeth will become white, you'll breath easier.. wow! A whole new you!

Good luck!

Katiesmom
10-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Catnapper, I know and I'm like really excited about it too...;)

PJ's Mom
10-22-2004, 11:26 PM
Congrats! I quit cold turkey a couple of years ago. It's tough, but you can do it! :)

Katiesmom
10-22-2004, 11:30 PM
Wow, I tried the Cold turkey thing but that just didn't work for me, guess I wasn't strong enough:o

carole
10-22-2004, 11:31 PM
FANTASTIC good on you, keep up the good work, its never easy, but YOU CAN DO IT!!! you will never ever regret it, believe me, and think of all the extra money you will have to spend on yourself, or your pets.:)

Katiesmom
10-22-2004, 11:36 PM
You make a good point on saving money Katie my rabbits needs a new cage, hutch or whatever you want to call she just needs one shes growing so fast:D So the money that I would spend on a pack of cigarettes I could put up for her new home, right?;)

shais_mom
10-23-2004, 12:05 AM
congratulations! :)

BCBlondie
10-23-2004, 12:05 AM
Congrats!!! I'm proud of you! I wish you luck :) I hope you don't go back to smoking. I know way too many people that have died due to smoking. :(

Rottieluver45
10-23-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Katiesmom

Your right and my main concern was my 3 year old son who I was hurting by smoking he is the main reason I am quitting he kept telling me to stop that It was nasty and well I'm finally doing it. I didn't think I could:D

Aww!! Well, kids do know what's right!!

I'm sure your bunny IS very happy! :)

Katiesmom
10-23-2004, 04:10 PM
Yea my bunny is happy but needs a bigger home:D

Ok, well I am on my second day and still smoke free...didn't sleep real well last night so I hope tonight is better...I find my self wanting a cig but I do something else and it goes away.

So YAY for me:D

Thank you all for your support because that is what I really need right now:)

slick
10-23-2004, 05:01 PM
Good for you!!! Keep up the good work.
You are doing the right thing by doing something else; housecleaning, walking, drinking lots of water, anything to take your mind off it.

You go girl!! I'll be watching your progress and celebrating along with you.

KYS
10-23-2004, 05:05 PM
Woo Woo WOo! congratulations.
You have all of PT support!!!

Katiesmom
10-23-2004, 05:30 PM
I don't know if me quitting smoking is making me emotional but you guys are gonna make me cry...y'all are so sweet and supportive..Thank you so much and with y'all standing behind me I know I can do it, well I am doing it:p

Karen
10-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Keep at it! Day by day it will get easier. Dad quit cold turkey after many many years, said he wouldn't have wanted to live with himself for those two weeks (Ma had amazing patience and optimism) but hasn't smoked since.

Says the world is full of more and better smells now that when he smoked -- look forward to that! You smell better, and so does the rest of the world!

Edwina's Secretary
10-23-2004, 07:25 PM
I quit almost four years ago. It is very, very hard but ABSOLUTELY worth it. It is nice not to sneak around finding a place where it is okay to smoke....breathing deeply...enduring long plane flights without fits of withdrawal.... lots and lots of good things...

Now I go for days without even thinking about a cigarette and I cannot picture myself again.

Keep it up! It will be worth it!

p.s. yes...emotionalism and insomnia are part of withdrawal!

GraciesMommy
10-23-2004, 07:27 PM
Here are a couple of helpful tips:
Brush your teeth every time you get the urge...

Eat sunflower seeds, they keep your hands busy

Get a pack of lifesavers and pop one in your mouth..or a tic tac

Good Luck! You can do it!

NoahsMommy
10-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Its not a senseless thread at all, its very positive! I'm guess support will help, so we'll help! :)

Keep it up!

RubyMutt
10-23-2004, 08:14 PM
That is so wonderful :D

One of my best friends has recently quit. He started when he was 16 and has now been smoke-free for three months at the age of 21 :D

I know it can be difficult, but it's wonderful that you're doing it! :D PT is here if you need us! Good luck! :)

CathyBogart
10-24-2004, 02:28 AM
Awesome!! Keep it up!

davidpizzica
10-24-2004, 04:10 AM
Katiesmom,you have made the best decision! I quit January, 31 1982 at 10:00 at night. I decided just to take the cigarettes and lighter out of my pockets and threw them away! It's tough quitting cold turkey, but I did it. BTW, I took a puff of one six weeks later and I thought I was going to die! I got real dizzy and almost passed out. That was IT! Smoke free ever since. So just keep going one day at a time, and I know you can do it.

Rachel
10-24-2004, 07:46 AM
I am so proud of you, first for recognizing the need to quit and second for not finding some excuse not to. Then you implemented your plan and are sticking to it. When you live as long as I have, you get to see lots of illnesses and death caused by smoking. About 20 years ago I lost a good friend to lung cancer, and most of my friends and acquaintances have a similar tale to tell. There is so many bad things that happen that we don't know how to prevent, at least here is one that we can do something and you are doing it as we speak.

I know quitting is harder for some than others, but personally for me and my husband, it wasn't all that hard. You are doing it and I am rooting for you and cheering you on. This is not a senseless thread. This is a celebration of Life and Health. Good Girl!!!!

Katiesmom
10-24-2004, 08:24 AM
Thanks for being here for me PTers, you really don't know how much this means to me to have so many people cheering me on:D I'm on the third day and so far so good the urge to have one isn't has bad. I didn't have a good night sleep at all last night so I'm hoping that will change SOON:p

Thanks again everyone every time I read these post it makes me wanna cry that I have so many people supporting and cheering me on:)

HoRsELUvR
10-24-2004, 09:32 AM
Congratulations!That's great!You are very strong to give up smoking, so keep at it!We all know you can do it.:D

Laura's Babies
10-24-2004, 10:11 AM
As a smoker myself, wanting to quit, let me offer my support! I have tried about 3 times and only managed to stay off of them a couple of weeks each time. I asked a lung doctor one time which method he had seen the best results with and he told me the patch since it put the nicotine in your body 24 hours a day and other methods do not. There are more and more methods on the market to help us quit and I think the cigarette makers should foot the bill for anyone who wants to quit and pay for whatever it takes, no matter the costs.

I found that it is the lack of the constant taste in my mouth that drove me back to smoking. I was constantly eating, putting something in my mouth and of coarse gaining weight..Averaged 20 pounds in only 3 weeks every time I tried to quit. I want to try those losengers (sp?) and see if those work for that taste thing. I am going to quit.......one day.:D

Good luck with your efforts and may you complete the task with no problem. (you do not realize what a domant part of your life they are until you quit)

cookieluver7
10-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Congratulations on being smoke-free. I know it will be hard to quite, but you will be a lot healthier and live a lot longer! Congrats!

Katiesmom
10-24-2004, 12:25 PM
Today has been the worst yet, I am just so aggrivated at everything I do today. I just got done breaking a shelve in fridge, of course I didn't mean to do it but now my fridge will not close:mad: Its not a good day but I haven't had a cig. I don't really eat since I quite I ate more when I was smoking I guess its because thats when it hits me the hardest because I had to have a cig right after I ate so if I don't eat I don't have the urge. I mean I not gonna quite eating but I don't eat as much I'm much more hungry but I over look it. Ugh today just isn't good nothing is working out.

Thanks again for y'all support I know it will get easier!

I'm using the patch if anyone is wondering and yes it works well for me it is because i"m determined to quite:D

carole
10-24-2004, 02:04 PM
You are going great guns girl, keep up the good work, and remember when you are having a hard day, it will pass, be strong, and if you weaken don't be hard on yourself, just put it behind you and take one day at a time.

It can be done, and you can do it ,sheer determination always helps a lot, its a strong addiction for some, and it is a tough road to follow, but just look at all of us reformed smokers, thats positive proof.

I have been a non-smoker now for over 24 years, for me personally it was not that hard at all, but I think the fact I never smoked properly, inhaled that much, made it easier, although I was a chain smoker, what made me quit, the fact I was going to have my son, I never smoked from that day on, and carried my son through a smokefree pregnancy.

I know your child is a priority too, so everytime you feel that urge, look at him and maybe that will help , also put those $$$$$$$signs infront of your eyes and think what you can do with that? spend ,spend,spend.

We are all here for you, to offer advice and support, so take advantage of that, as there is a wealth of that here. GOOD LUCK!!!

Onward and upward as the saying goes.

:)

rg_girlca
10-24-2004, 03:20 PM
I'm sorry you are having a bad day. Maybe if you took your son and went for a nice walk, taking in the crisp fresh air might help you.

Do you wear the patch at night while you are sleeping?

I did and found I had a terrible time sleeping. So I would take it off before I was about ready to fall asleep and then put a new one back on when I woke up. This helped me, by doing this.

You are going to have ups and downs the first few weeks, but it will get easier as each day goes by. Keep telling yourself. "I can do this, I can do this."

As Carole said, look at your son. You are doing this for his health as well as for your own.

Miranda_Rae
10-24-2004, 03:37 PM
OH I am SO SO very glad that you decided to quit! My grandpa smoked for years, and he died of lung cancer in March. It was horrid, cause I watched him just fade away...he was like a skeleton when he died. :( It was very hard to watch, and he could barely talk. :( My grandma got breast cancer and kidney cancer from smoking too! And she still smokes. :mad:

Katiesmom
10-25-2004, 09:32 AM
Yes, I sleep with the patch on. The first couple of nights I didn't sleep well but last night I died i slept so hard. I would take the patch off at night because I never slept that before the patch and the fact I know when I use to wake up in the middle of the night I would smoke so I'm scared to take it off at night. So its another day and still smoke free and I have been doing what carole mentioned and thats been working for me. Today seems like its going to be a better day. So I try keeping a positive attitude. If I knew I couldn't do it I would have already smoked but I haven't so I know I can do. Alot of the times when I think I smoking I just remember what kind of support and suggestions that I am getting from you guys. Y'all are the best. I love you all:D

robinh
10-25-2004, 09:50 AM
Katiesmom, I am so proud of you! You are taking it one day at a time. That's the best way. And you're determined to quit - FANTASTIC!!

I quit about 8 years ago and I can attest to just how HARD it is. You are doing a great job. I sued the patch to help me over those first couple of weeks. I also bought soda straws and cut them in half. That's what I used to keep my hands busy and I'd chew them too. This is the fourth time I quit and I think I've finally made it.

Keep up the great work!
:D

Katiesmom
10-25-2004, 09:56 AM
robinh, after you used the patch for a couple of weeks was it easy to stop using them and not start smoking again I mean I thought about doing that but I'm scared that I may still have the craving?:confused:

FizzGiggs_Mommy
10-25-2004, 10:33 AM
Congrats on Quiting My Hubby had quited a while back using the patch worked great for him.

PJ's Mom
10-25-2004, 11:15 AM
If you're using the patches that help you "step down", then you slowly wean yourself off of them. If you just rip it off, you're basically going cold turkey. :eek: The biggest part of quitting smoking is breaking the habit of smoking...after meals, in the car, etc...not the nicotine addiction. Sounds like you've just about got it licked! :)

robinh, after you used the patch for a couple of weeks was it easy to stop using them and not start smoking again I mean I thought about doing that but I'm scared that I may still have the craving?:confused:

robinh
10-25-2004, 11:20 AM
The ones I used didn't have the step down, but I used them sparingly and weaned myself off. I did have the urge to try a drag on a cigarette - once. Tasted like I had licked an ashtray. Haven't had the urge since.

It is so wonderful being able to breathe, smell the flowers, and walk a block without being completely winded. Once you get to that point - you're in.

I'll keep praying for you as a boost to your own determination.

If you need to talk, e-mail me anytime at [email protected].

slick
10-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Keep up the good work Crystal. :) :)

RICHARD
10-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Good luck to you.

I am a social smoker....I smolder the rest of the time!!!;)

Katiesmom
10-25-2004, 12:31 PM
LOL Richard!

Thanks, robinh and everyone else!:D

Katiesmom
10-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Today for some reason I really wanted to smoke but I didn't:)

I just got real ill with everyone:o

slick
10-25-2004, 10:28 PM
Today for some reason I really wanted to smoke but I didn't:)

I just got real ill with everyone:o
Hang in there Crystal. One day at a time. I just know you can make it. Your family knows the situation and will adjust to the mood swings. Just remember how proud we are of you and how proud you are going to be with yourself by accomplishing one of the hardest things to do in the world. You can beat this!!!

Katiesmom
10-25-2004, 10:32 PM
What would I do without you guys!

Slick I all but did cry reading your response(I guess thats the emotional part of quiting) thanks for having faith in me. This is so hard for me right now for some reason, but your right I already feel better about my self and I do SMELL better too:p

slick
10-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Something else I want to add here. If, one day, you do succumb to the urge, don't beat yourself up. That does not make you a failure. All you have to do is get yourself back on track and continue on. :) Easier said than done, I know, but again, you've got all these Pet Talk people and prayers behind. Success will prevail.:)

GoldenRetrLuver
10-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Hang in there, Crystal! We know you can do it! :D Just fight the urge, and like Slick said, just take it one day at a time. I've been thinking of you often, and I KNOW that with all of us rootin' for you over here, and the love and help of your family, you can beat this!

{{hugs}}

Katiesmom
10-25-2004, 10:45 PM
Thanks guys!

But no matter what I am not slipping up I don't care how bad the urge gets and my husband son will make sure of that..

Gosh, the power of PT truly is.....I feel so blessed to have this place in my life with such wonderful people to go with it.....:)

rg_girlca
10-25-2004, 11:24 PM
You know that we are behind you 110% and will help you through the rough times.
It's going on 4 days now. Just think, 4 more days added on to your life. Good for you.
It's not easy and it will get tough the next few days. But you have to fight the urge. Just remember your son struggling to breath.
I'm proud at how you are handling this.:)

YOU CAN AND WILL BEAT THIS!!!!

lynnestankard
10-26-2004, 06:24 AM
Don't forget Crystal - WE LOVE A QUITTER!!!!!

It's darned hard work - but as Slick said - One day at a time!!

Congratulations to such a strong lady xxxx

Lynne

Katiesmom
10-26-2004, 03:48 PM
Another day without a cig. YAY, boy I can't wait til I get through this I'm tired of not knowing when my switch is gonna flip. I don't like being like this although it for a good reason but darn:D

slick
10-27-2004, 03:57 PM
Still going strong Crystal??

Katiesmom
10-27-2004, 08:39 PM
Still going strong slick:D !

Today was one of my better days, I just can't wait til this whole feeling of wanting a cig goes away I just want to be FREE:cool:

Katiesmom
10-27-2004, 09:29 PM
You know since I haven't been smoking I really do realize how people really do smell when they smoke. I was walking in Wal-Mart the other day and this lady walked by me and I thought man she smells just like a cig. I never knew that it was that obvious and how bad it really did smell:rolleyes:

slick
10-27-2004, 09:35 PM
You know since I haven't been smoking I really do realize how people really do smell when they smoke. I was walking in Wal-Mart the other day and this lady walked by me and I thought man she smells just like a cig. I never knew that it was that obvious and how bad it really did smell:rolleyes:
That's true, and to non-smokers, the smell is 100-fold.

slick
11-02-2004, 12:17 PM
How are you doing Crystal?

Corinna
11-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Hey this thread started while i was gone . But I want to add my way to gos too. How is it going today? it is a day buy day fight we are all behind you.

Katiesmom
11-02-2004, 02:37 PM
its been going pretty good! I stopped putting the patch on to see how I really was doing and they have been off for two days and still smoke free. Well I did take a toke off of one and that was the nastiest thing I have ever tasted. so yea I am still taking it one day at a time:D