PDA

View Full Version : R&R are acting very sick - is this normal?

jazzcat
10-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Rocky and Rumor got their second round of vaccinations yesterday plus I went ahead and did the first FELV vaccinations (wasn't planning to do that since they are indoor only but they guilted me into it). Anyway they are so pitiful today. Rocky is the worst. He cries when I pick him up, he walks slowly and stiff and he won't lay down he falls asleep sitting up. The both hold their front paw up where they got one of the shots. Rocky's thrid eyelid is showing too.

They were fine when they first got home and basically sleep all evening but today they just sleep and cry and I haven't seen them eat since last night and I don't think they are drinking much either, if any. I have some wet food I'm going to try to get them to eat.

Is this normal? I feel so bad.:(

EDIT: I just spoke to my vet and she said they should be over it by tomorrow and that sometimes the vaccinations will cause them to suffer flu like symptoms but when I told her they aren't eating and I don't think drinking much she said to try the wet food and if that didn't help bring them in today or in the morning just to be safe.

nibblets
10-22-2004, 12:36 PM
I would call the vet and let them know. They may want to see the kittens.

edit: You were sending that while I had this one open. I'm glad to hear you called them. its just good for them to know.

kimlovescats
10-22-2004, 12:43 PM
YES, Lori ... this is very "normal"...... maybe get some Nutri-Cal and rub it on their noses, to force them to eat something! Hang in there, honey .... I know it stinks watching them this way!

(((HUGS)))

jazzcat
10-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
YES, Lori ... this is very "normal"...... maybe get some Nutri-Cal and rub it on their noses, to force them to eat something! Hang in there, honey .... I know it stinks watching them this way!

(((HUGS)))
Thanks Kim. I was on the verge of calling you! I feel so terrible for doing this to them but I know they needed it. Richard has already informed me that they will not be getting the second round of the FELV vaccine because he thinks this is what has made them so sick. I don't know what to do about that but I'll deal with it in three weeks.

aly
10-22-2004, 12:51 PM
My kitties usually don't have reactions to the vaccinations, but I have had a couple who were like that. I'm sure they'll be fine, but as your vet said, it wouldn't hurt to stop them by for a quick check.

Reece had a bad reaction to vaccinations once. He's had them 5 times with me now and only that one was bad. It was really weird that he just had it that once. Maybe your kitties won't have as bad of a reaction next time. Just something to think about, but I'm sure your vet will advise you and talk with you about what is best. Be sure to tell them your worries about it.

Laura's Babies
10-22-2004, 01:23 PM
I KNOW exactly what you are feeling! I HATE taking mine in for those shots!! Chester is due and I keep putting it off because he was just so pitiful the last time he had them. I thought poor Samantha was going to die when I got hers!! She was in bad shape physically and I never should have done them with her in that kind of shape and she just laid in the kennel for 2 whole days, not moving, not even picking up her head. My neighbor that gave her to me, brought her kitten over and she picked her head up to greet her baby, then laid it back down and didn't move.. Geezzzzzz....I really worried about her and just knew I had killed her... I hate them having to have those shots and how it makes them feel afterwards...

jazzcat
10-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Thanks Aly, Laura and nibblets.

I tried feeding them some wet food and Rumor licked the juice off my finger but Rocky didn't want any so I wiped a little on his paw and he licked it off. I'll try again later. They are curled up sleeping on the sofa now. At least Rocky is down and not sleeping sitting up still. None of my others are really fazed by vaccines so this is kind of scary.

I'm just thankful that my oldest brother is in this weekend visiting with Dad so I can stay here with the kittens. This is the second weekend and second brother to come in to visit him.:)

sirrahbed
10-22-2004, 02:01 PM
This is interesting to read - my cats have never been sick that I have noticed but just this time - I read on the medical records - to expect some generalized illness from the shots in some cats. I NEVER knew that!! I guess it is just like with skin babies:rolleyes: Lizzie and Robbie get their distemper next week so I will be prepared now. I wonder why the vet has never mentioned this before?? Maybe because he is used to neurotic Meowmies like ME who will recognize evry possible symptom??:rolleyes: :p Then again - this is only my second time with babies so maybe the older ones are less likely to be ill? Emily and Eliot already had their first so my only baby distemper experience has been with them when they had their second set. Also, mine get only distemper, so that may be the reason as well.

Barbara
10-22-2004, 02:01 PM
I hope so much they'll be ok. I'd be scared too. We think of you:)

rosethecopycat
10-22-2004, 02:22 PM
The reaction depends on the cat.
I have chosen never to give more than one shot per visit. I'd rather drag them back in to get the other shot.

Now, kittens can have a problem with their sugar level if they don't eat.
Nutrical is good.
I would try putting a small finger full of Karo syrup (light) on the roof of their mouths. (please check with your vet before taking any of my advice)
The fosters in my group do that and it peps them up and gives them appetite, if the sugar level had gotten too low from not eating.

My Snowy had a reaction and vet said give (some portion of) St. Joseph's baby aspirin. Snowy was trembling. Maybe he was feverish?

Mr. Jones goes into a deep funk for two days.

Bella had no reaction.

rg_girlca
10-22-2004, 08:39 PM
Oh Lori, I am so sorry to hear that the babies aren't feeling well from their shots. Glad you spoke with your vet.
I hope and pray that they feel better tomorrow.

Please keep us updated and give them sweet little kisses for me.

shais_mom
10-22-2004, 11:59 PM
while I am not 'happy' your's are feeling under the weather at all, I am glad you posted this. Kloe had her 3rd and final round of vacs on Monday and yesterday and today her eyes are a bit runny "watery if you will" and getting matted easily and has been sneezing some.
I have been giving her some antibiotic as a precaution.
She is NOT acting sick tho, eating like a pig and very active.
I am keeping a close eye on my little monkey...

jenluckenbach
10-23-2004, 05:01 AM
It is so scary when the kitties feel badly, but YES, it is completely normal (unfortunately).

catmandu
10-23-2004, 08:33 AM
The Founfd Cats,are concerned,for Rocky,and Rumor,and pray,that all is well,with them.