PDA

View Full Version : So very upsetting.....

Cookiebaker
10-21-2004, 09:23 PM
First off, please, please don't get mad at me. I don't know if I did the right thing, and I don't even know what the right thing to do was. But I did what I felt I had to do, and I am just praying that it was the right thing.

I doubt you would remember, but a long time ago (months!), there was a golden retriever running down Main Street where I work. I managed to grab him, but he slipped his collar and I called the owners. The woman who answered the phone responded "Oh, you shouldn't have bothered him because he goes down to the bank every morning for his cookie". :rolleyes: (Yes, down a very busy road) Grrrr.

Well, this morning, dear Buckey was back. But this time, he acted sooo strange. He's pretty old, and from what I could tell he has very bad hips and/or bad arthritis in his back legs. He was outside the office door and I went out to talk to him. But he wouldn't budge. He wasn't too fond of me, and kept trying to get up, but he couldn't get to his feet.

It totally broke my heart. :( I couldn't stand to watch him, and I didn't know what to do. I was not in a position to bring him into the office (he was absolutely filthy, and he stunk to high heavens, and besides I couldnt' take time off right then).

I kept my eye on him, and after 15 minutes, decided to call the owners. I got the same response as a few months ago. "Oh yes, well if he can get up, he probably will come straight home"...."He's been like this all summer, and I just wish my husband would do SOMETHING about him already!"

Let me tell you, I wish I had never called. Especially when she drove up with her fancy SUV (yes she came to get him) and made him hop all the way up into the back, and it was such a strain for him.

All I could think was this faithful dog, this beautiful senior who deserves all the best treatment in the world, and he's dirty, matted, bloody open warts on his nose, a bloody toe nail. And I felt so helpless to do what was right for HIM. I felt like if it was my dog, I wouldn't want someone to just take him away without calling me; but then I thought if it was my dog, I wouldn't allow him to be wandering the streets in this kind of condition. :(

Yes, I had my digi camera with me and took a couple of pictures. I will attach them, so you don't have to look at them if you don't want to.

Dearest Buckey, I hope that your owners will wake up and see what you really deserve and give it to you. I hope your toenail isn't hurting you too much, and you will find some relief to your pain in your hips/back legs. Please forgive me for not being able to help you.

Cookiebaker
10-21-2004, 09:24 PM
And another pic.....

captain
10-21-2004, 09:28 PM
Can I suggest that next time, or in the meantime, you find a no-kill rescue association and PHONE THEM instead of the awful woman!!!!

{{hugs}}to you for caring enought to call, and to watch out for him.

sammy101
10-21-2004, 09:30 PM
aww :( thats so sad,i have tears in my eyes:( if i were you i would have a talk with her,she doesnt sound like she doesnt care to much about him:( that could be considered animal cruelty b/c he has open wounds,matted fur,and if he's not getting the medical treatment he needs.

im so sorry that you couldnt help him,i too,hope his owners will realize what pain he's in

BCBlondie
10-21-2004, 09:48 PM
Poor baby... :(

I agree with what sammy101 and captain have said.. But I understand your decision calling the owners.. Too bad they don't care about him.. he deserves better. :(

GoldenRetrLuver
10-21-2004, 09:53 PM
:( :( :(

He does deserve better. What a terrible woman.. she's obviously not "fit" to own a dog, nor does she deserve one. I agree with what captain said. If/when you see him next time, I'd phone a Golden rescue or animal control.. that's cruelty. :(

He looks like such a sweet guy, and he's beautiful. He looks soo sad in that first picture. :( Breaks my heart.

LKPike
10-21-2004, 10:59 PM
you know, this really might sound terrible but... that dog doesn't deserve that kind of treatment I believe we all agree on that, so my opinion is the next time you see him just take him and claim him as your own. Its perfectly understandable that you cant take the dog into an office with you so kinda get your car ready I dunno what the weathers like in your area but whatever you gotta do just don't let him suffer like that anymore. He'd be so much better off with someone who cares about him I seriously doubt theyd even miss him.

RobiLee
10-21-2004, 11:07 PM
Oh please don't feel too bad. You did nothing wrong. You did what you thought was best. I don't even know what I would have done. Try not to let the guilt feelings over come you. I know it is hard. If I were to see the poor guy again I think I would try to find a rescue group or something like that. I don't think I could call his owner again, not if he were in the same condition.

{{{{Great Big Hugs For You}}}}

Robin

dukedogsmom
10-22-2004, 06:24 AM
His face just breaks my heart. Don't blame yourself because it's not your fault. What a hateful, cold.....I can't say what I really want to call that female. I wouldn't return him to her next time, either. Poor dog. Like someone else said, she doesn't deserve to have a dog. I hope he comes to you again so he can find the home he deserves.

Samantha Puppy
10-22-2004, 06:25 AM
Oh jeez... look at the sadness in those poor eyes. :(

GraciesMommy
10-22-2004, 06:33 AM
You did what you had to do...she sure doesn't want the poor guy...you can see in his eyes he doesn't want her either. No telling how he gets treated at "home" if you can call it that..
But you didnt do anything wrong..SHE did..~hugs to you

Pam
10-22-2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker

All I could think was this faithful dog, this beautiful senior who deserves all the best treatment in the world,

Anna this line of yours says it all. I had tears in my eyes reading this and looking at his sad face. I don't know what the right thing to do would have been. I tend to agree with Captain, although there may be children at his home that love him and it would break their heart if they never saw him again. Could you tell from the address on his tag if he lives near your office? Maybe sometime you could just "drop by" and see how he is doing. *sigh*

pitc9
10-22-2004, 07:13 AM
I agree with Pam, find out where they live and keep an eye on him. You did all you could!!! It's just to bad that a monster like that witch has such a sweet looking pup!

God Bless him.. I pray that someday his days are painfree and happy.