PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new kitty tomorrow!!

aprilynn
10-21-2004, 08:28 PM
I'm going to get a new kitty tomorrow - (hopefully) - was just wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on how to choose one? what to look for (health-wise) ? I currently have a 3 year old siamese/himaylan female. I know I definitely want another girl. I am going to a shelter tomorrow to adopt a new kitty.

kimlovescats
10-21-2004, 09:03 PM
I have found that often times, the kitty picks YOU! Other than that, I would just say look for the one who seems like they need you the most!;)

Can't wait to meet the new baby!

Laura's Babies
10-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Pay attention to the shy and timid ones. I have seen what the shelters do to their personalities and how horrified they are of just being there... There are SO many that need a good home.....

rosethecopycat
10-22-2004, 12:00 AM
I would recommend getting a boy.
I foster for Siamese Rescue and they have placed close to 3000 cats, and they have the most success with mixed gendered households.
There is something about two female cats with 5 years of age.

I listened to them when I wanted a 3rd male, and I got a female instead. We couldn't have a happier household.

Healthwise- a document of FeLV/FIV NEG/NEG is the first thing I want to see.
I want to know if any siblings or mama cat have died of anything while in the shelter. (looking for panleuk-distemper or FIP)

No bald spots on head or arms (for ringworm) This can be resolved, but you really don't want ringworm in your house, it is transmittable to humans (weak immunity)

Best of luck getting your new addition.

Never heard how your cat with the dire-rear worked out.

Rose

Palomino21
10-22-2004, 12:52 AM
I would look around, hold some kitties, and see which ones seem to tug on your heart.

Annie

catcrazylady
10-22-2004, 07:05 AM
I always believe you know the right one when you see it. I'm a sucker for the "undercat", you know the one no one else wants. I always feel so sorry for them.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Randi
10-22-2004, 07:18 AM
I agree with what Laura's Babies say. The shy timid ones are probably the most difficult to adopt out, and they're usually the ones who need a loving home the most.

I would not worry too much about the sex, a male may get along just as fine as a female with the one you have. It's the "chemestry" between them. ;)

Good luck finding the right one! :

mina'smomma
10-22-2004, 07:21 AM
Mina was shy when I first got her and now she is the most playful thing I've ever known. I chose her because she just tugged at my heart. Take your time in choosing and just see what comes of it. Either way you will end up with a beautiful companion.

Logan
10-22-2004, 07:48 AM
I don't remember ever getting to choose any cat I have ever had! Our Tigger was the only kitten in his litter and his mama died, and we begged and begged until our dad let us keep him. Shrimp Boat, my first cat that was truly "mine" after I graduated from college was found at a seafood market. She was the only one and the guys there talked me into taking her (I'm glad I did). After I lost Shrimp Boat, a girl at work had kittens at her house and just picked one out and brought it to me (that would be sweet 15 year old Mimi), and of course, my Butter just showed up and never left! :)

Good luck!!! We'll be anxious to hear all about who chooses you!! :)
Logan

cruisetime
10-22-2004, 08:33 AM
I too would say take your time. I was looking for months. I'd go by the PetCo and PetsMarts here looking at the HOPE shelter cats they brings into the pet stores to hopefully adopt out. None really said - I'm the one.... Then I called Animal Control (I'd called before but didn't like the one or two they said they had) and they said they only had one but really want her to get adopted real bad - she was a bobtail and so sweet that they were worried they would have to kill her real soon - they had already kept her 4 weeks to nurse her babies instead of killing her and the babies within 2 days like they are suppose too. Well the Animal Control was at least 30 minutes away and I had to go at lunch since they are not open after 5pm. THat just wouldn't work - bad part of town too. Hubby really wasn't convinced about having a cat so I go home and mention this bobtail cat and he said - I'll go with you at lunch to see her - "What!?" He said the bobtail part interested him. She was the one! :) Good luck and I'm sure which ever one you choose will have a wonderful home with you and love you bunches! :) Debbie

sirrahbed
10-22-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Palomino21
I would look around, hold some kitties, and see which ones seem to tug on your heart.

Annie

I am with Annie on this one - you will just KNOW!! Plus, all the health advice was very good:)

catmandu
10-22-2004, 08:42 AM
An older Cat,that is settled,would make an ideal Companion,for the three year old Cat,that you have now,and you,will be giving a second chance,to a Cat,that most adopters,sadly ignore!

catnapper
10-22-2004, 08:59 AM
I agree that getting a boy is the better choice. Mixing two girls together often results in a lot of fights and resentments. I know the old warning: "don't get boys... they spray." Pish on that! I have three boys and not one problem with spraying anywhere.

Anyway, you'll definately know the right cat when you meet them. It'll almost call out to you. Two cats is great too. When we got Pouncer, Allen changed so much. He went from being aloof and reserved to a loving and freindly cat.

PS: where in NE PA are you? I'm in Reading, and volunteer for a cat rescue, and so does another member who lives in Allentown. I'm originally from closer to Philly... I feel like a transplant out here in Reading! LOL You can send me a PM if you're not comfortable exposing yourself to the whole internet world.

BY the way, Welcome to PT! You'll find its a great place with great people who kow a lot about pets.

aprilynn
10-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Catnapper: I am in the Wilkes-Barre area!

Well I went to the wilkes-barre shelter yesterday and I could not find one healthy looking kitten, they were all sick looking, had eye boogers, and "the runs" so we went to Petsmart and I FELL IN LOVE with a HUGE 30lb cat that looked like Garfield. Unfortunately I couldn't take him because he wasn't litter trained and I live in an apartment. So I went to the Hazleton Animal Shelter and they had a room FULL of kittens - and a little black 10wk old kitten crawed up my left and right into my arms. I took her home and she is just WONDERFUL!! She slept in our bed last night, she slept on my chest all night, kneading me.. We have named her Ellie... Here's her pic:

http://ellie.i8.com/ellie5.jpg

http://ellie.i8.com/ellie1.jpg

AbbyMom
10-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Congratulations! You've been adopted! What a cutie! Give her a kiss for me.

rosethecopycat
10-23-2004, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catnapper
[B]I agree that getting a boy is the better choice. Mixing two girls together often results in a lot of fights and resentments.

Thank you.

I know the old warning: "don't get boys... they spray." Pish on that! I have three boys and not one problem with spraying anywhere.

Females can spray too.

Aprilynn,

Best of luck on what ever you decide. They will be sure to be loved by you, so they are indeed lucky.

jazzcat
10-23-2004, 11:15 AM
Congrats!!! Ellie and gorgeous and looks like my Jazz. I know that orange males are suppose to be the sweetest but I think black females are!:D

kimlovescats
10-23-2004, 02:32 PM
Welcome home, and congratulations. Ellie is beautiful. I agree with Jazzcat, I know my foster Emma was the sweetest cat I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, and her daughter, Miss Bonnie is as well! Stay tuned for an amazing thread on Miss Bonnie!!! ;)

Laura's Babies
10-23-2004, 02:34 PM
jazzcat, I have to agree with you on them being the sweetiest! Samantha is the sweetiest thing and Ellie looks like her as a baby!

aprillynn, sounds like she selected YOU! Wonderful! CONGRATULATIONS on your new baby! May you two have many wonderful happy years together!!!!

lisalee
10-23-2004, 10:03 PM
Congratulations on adopting from a shelter! Ellie looks like a very sweet little girl. :)

catnapper
10-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Congratulations on Ellie... she is just beautiful! I love black cats, and my daughter wants one so bad. Have you introduced ehr at all to your other cat? Or are you keeping them separate for a while?

Uabassoon
10-23-2004, 10:58 PM
She is adorable! Congrats!

catcrazylady
10-24-2004, 06:58 AM
AWWWWWWWWE!! She is precious!! I'm so glad you found the right kitty for you.
How is she doing? Are things still going good?

IttyBittyKitty
10-24-2004, 07:38 AM
Awwwww, little black kitty!!!

aprilynn
10-25-2004, 06:30 AM
Ellie is doing well - she's the most loving kitten I have ever met.. she sleeps on my pillow in a ball at night.. yesterday I woke up to her paws kneading both my cheeks and her licking my chin.. that was suprising haha... Macy has been hiding from Ellie, and whenever she gets close to her she "growls" then hisses and then runs away. I've tried to help her associate "good" things like being brushed which she LOVES w/ being close to the kitten... as well as feeding and play time... I'm sure it will take time. Last night Ellie pounced on Macy's tail, she wasnt too pleased. lol It's only been a few days though, so I'm hoping that Macy warms up in the coming weeks, afterall I wanted to get a kitten so she wouldn't be so lonely. She has been around lots of other cats before so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they become friends! Thanks for all the warm wishes... I'm sure I'll be on this board a lot more!