PDA

View Full Version : Very nervous for my upcoming DC trip.

Amber
10-21-2004, 07:00 PM
Almost in a week my school will be leaving for washington, DC in Virginia & Maryland. Im somewhat nervous because I've never been away so far from home in another state. We'll be gone for about 4 days or so. I'm scared I'll get homesick too. But I am excited because I'll be with my friends and we'll have too much fun. But I have some questions...

Has anyone ever been to Washingtion, DC? We will be seeing many historical things. so I'm wondering..

Whats the Cyclorama?
Whats the Washingtion Cathedral?
and how is the holocaust museum? I hope it's interesting.

Oh, and I thought I add that were leaving Nov 1 and the President election is Nov 2 (I think atleast) and I think it will be interesting going the the white house seeing all the excitement of the new or same president being their and all.

sorry :o

slick
10-21-2004, 07:04 PM
I think Laurie (LBaker) lives near there. I'm sure she can give you lots of info.

Have a great time.

CathyBogart
10-21-2004, 07:21 PM
I had a ton of fun on my DC trip...except that I'm NOT AT ALL a morning person!! They got us up and going at 7am every day. I was one cranky kitty!!

lizzielou742
10-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Amber

Whats the Cyclorama?
Whats the Washingtion Cathedral?
and how is the holocaust museum? I hope it's interesting.

My class went on a class trip to DC when I was in 8th grade. It was soooo much fun! It was great being with my friends the whole time. We had a blast! I am sure you will too!

I don't know what the Cyclorama is...the Cathedral is awesome though. Do a google image search for Washington Cathedral and check it out. I'm just an art fan though :o

I didn't go to the Holocaust Museum, but we did go to a lot of other neat places. The Smithsonian was particularly neat.

Karen
10-21-2004, 07:39 PM
I've been to D.C, it's great - so much to see! Will you be at the Smithsonian at all? If you are in the capitol building, look carefully at your surroundings. Some of the hallways and floors have amazingly beautiful tilework. Will you be going to the National Zoo? Say hello to the pandas for me if you do!
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/

A cyclorama is a painting in a circle - do you mean the one at Gettysburg? That's a pretty famous one - see http://www.nps.gov/gett/gettcyclo.htm

What's the focus of your trip? History, or just sightseeing/political stuff? It'll be a very exciting time, be sure to take lots of pictures!

I have heard the Holocaust Museum is an extremely moving experience. Bring tissues.

dukedogsmom
10-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Sounds exciting! You must make it to the Smithsonian but you'll need lots of time. That place is huge. I was there for a Saturday and got to see the natural history building. Very nice. One day, I hope to have at least 3 days to see as much as I can see. Don't be nervous. Look at it as a great adventure. You'll be glad you went. Take lots of pics.

Amber
10-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Thanks all! I'm feeling alot better about this. I did some google searches and everything looks amazing! I can't wait. I checked my book thing, and we wont be going to the Smithsonian. I was hoping we could since you all said its great.

I think our focus is History, and sightseeing & political stuff.

and their will be a ton of pictures! :D

Miranda_Rae
10-21-2004, 11:04 PM
I went to DC in July last summer and it was hot, but you aren't going in July, so yay for you! :p I just had to comment on the Holucost Museum...It is VERY, VERY sad....and it made me SO angry! I can't believe have evil and cruel some people are! :mad: :mad: But have fun, and I don't know what those other things are that you mentioned. :o I might have seen them but I am not sure! :rolleyes:

dogs_4_me
10-22-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Amber
Almost in a week my school will be leaving for washington, DC in Virginia & Maryland. Im somewhat nervous because I've never been away so far from home in another state. We'll be gone for about 4 days or so. I'm scared I'll get homesick too. ...

I've never been to Washington but I would love to! Don't worry about been away from home, I went to Quebec for two weeks last year with my class, I was so nervous about been away from home but everything works out in the end. I'm still dreading all of the trips coming up, i hate been away from home haha, but once you get there you forget about it.

Logan
10-22-2004, 08:01 AM
You will have a wonderful time, I promise!!!! Washington, DC is a great city and I would love to go back there sometime soon and have more time to explore. I went when I was around 7 or 8 with my family, then didn't go back again until several years ago when the company I was working for was headquartered there. Only problem was that I never had time to sightsee on any of my trips! I was always working! Scott and I went last year, but only for the day, and I swear we must have walked 20 miles that day, but we saw a lot. I loved the National Gallery (of Art) and we toured the Lincoln Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, the Korean Memorial and saw the WWII memorial while it was under construction. Scott's kids went last summer for a week with their mom and stepfather, and my sister and her family were just there last week!

Take lots of pictures and tell us all about it! :) Take comfortable shoes as you will be walking a lot!!!!