PDA

View Full Version : Have you been asked to participate in an election poll?

sirrahbed
10-21-2004, 06:58 PM
With all the "polling" results I keep hearing about on the news - I have been wondering just WHERE do they get their samplings??
Today, I happened to receive TWO telephone polls. One was automated and done by a company as an across the nation survey and the other was a "live" person doing a sampling for the state of Ohio. The questions were pretty much the same.
Who are you voting for? What issues most concern you, etc.

Uabassoon
10-21-2004, 07:02 PM
I've been called once and that's it. Generally they get the list from people who are registered to vote. I used to work for one of those surveys places so I used to do polictical calls.

lizzielou742
10-21-2004, 07:04 PM
I have asked my friends this question before, as it intrigues me too. As far as I know, no one I know has ever been polled for any election.

CathyBogart
10-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Most places only poll "likely voters" i.e. people who voted in the last election and therefore are likely to vote again. Seems silly to me not to poll first-time voters as well, but oh well. :)

lizzielou742
10-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
Most places only poll "likely voters" i.e. people who voted in the last election and therefore are likely to vote again.

I voted in the last election, but many of my friends did not (I turned 18 in 1999), so maybe that's why we're never polled. Most of my friends (including me) are cell-phone-only too. Who needs a land line when you have broadband internet and a cell phone with unlimited free long distance? ;)

Uabassoon
10-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
I have asked my friends this question before, as it intrigues me too. As far as I know, no one I know has ever been polled for any election.

I think you are young (close to me age) but I'm not sure. If you are like me most of your friends just have cell phones and not home phones. These places are not allowed at all to call cell phones, so if that is the number they used when they registered to vote then they will not be called.

Uabassoon
10-21-2004, 07:12 PM
LOL sorry Lizzielou. I posted before I read your last post.

lizzielou742
10-21-2004, 07:13 PM
It's cool...I'm 23 :)

Uabassoon
10-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
It's cool...I'm 23 :)

I was right :) I'm 23 as well.

lizzielou742
10-21-2004, 07:19 PM
hee hee ;)

Cincy'sMom
10-21-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
Most places only poll "likely voters" i.e. people who voted in the last election and therefore are likely to vote again. Seems silly to me not to poll first-time voters as well, but oh well. :)

I have never voted (although I have been registered since I was 18, and do plan to vote this year), and we have recieved many calls. Since we have caller ID, I don't generally answer #'s I don't know. I did answer two on Saturday, one was a woman with "ACT" ( not sure if they affliated with a party of not) and the other was from the Democrats

lizzielou742
10-21-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
I did answer two on Saturday, one was a woman with "ACT" ( not sure if they affliated with a party of not)

I think that may have been ACT (America Coming Together) (http://actforvictory.org/), which is a voter mobilization project for the Democrats.