PDA

View Full Version : Questions for hermit crab owners

My Peanuts
10-21-2004, 04:14 PM
I have been thinking about getting a hermit crab for a while. I had one when I was little, but I don't remember much about his care. I am thinking that I want to keep it on the desk in my office. Do they smell? Can I keep just one? Are they difficult to care for? Any information will help. Thanks!

Amber
10-21-2004, 06:49 PM
I used to own 1 hermit Crab.

His name was Krusty and he lived alone. They will only smell if you don't clean their cage, and I say (it Really stinks!) so just keeping their cage clean will be good. I heard they like company of other hermie crabs, but Im not for sure.

hope I helped in some small way. ;)

My Peanuts
10-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Thanks Amber! :)

Logan
10-22-2004, 02:34 PM
Diana, they also smell if they die and you don't know it for a while. :o

We finally gave up because we just didn't have much luck and I felt so guilty every time we lost one, but I LOVED having them! Believe it or not, they do require a lot of care, though and everything I ever read says they do better in a "family" than living alone. You just have to keep that cage dry and it was the hardest thing because they are quite messy and spill their water a lot! And those weekly baths are important too.

Let us know what you decide.

Logan

BitsyNaceyDog
10-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Hermit crabs are actually very very difficult pets to keep. They should not be kept alone, in fact 3+ would be best. It has been a long time since I've had them and I don't remember too much about them. All I remember is that they were a lot of fun but very difficult.