PDA

View Full Version : I'm nervous....please pray for me!

Miranda_Rae
10-21-2004, 04:07 PM
I know this is a stupid, silly thread. :o As some of you know I will be showing Heidi in a dog show in November, the 12,13 and 14. Well at first I was just going to show her in one dog show in the 12, and Junior Showmanship on the 14. Well I messed up on the entry paper, and the lady called me and asked me what I wanted to do because I sent too much money for the shows I wanted her in. :rolleyes: Well so she cleared some things up for me, and I decided to do some more shows than the ones on Friday and Sunday. So on the 12, Friday, I have 2 shows, one with the Manitoba Sporting Dog Club, and one with the Northwinds Dog Show, and then on the 13, Saturday, I have one with the Northwind Dog Show, and on the 14, Sunday, I have one with the Northwind Dog Show and Junior Showmanship!!!! :eek: I am just REALLY, REALLY nervous because this is my very firstshow....so I was just wondering if any of you could pray for me. :) I know this is early to post, but I am already nervous. :rolleyes: :o Thanks!

guster girl
10-21-2004, 04:17 PM
I think as long as you just look at it as a fun experience and not the cure for cancer, you'll be fine. Just remember that Heidi will be nervous if you are. And, I read somewhere that something like 75% of what people worry about actually never happens. :) I think the number is actually more than that! I can't remember! Just have fun, and, know that your dog is #1, no matter what. ;)

Miranda_Rae
10-21-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by guster girl
I think as long as you just look at it as a fun experience and not the cure for cancer, you'll be fine. Just remember that Heidi will be nervous if you are. And, I read somewhere that something like 75% of what people worry about actually never happens. :) I think the number is actually more than that! I can't remember! Just have fun, and, know that your dog is #1, no matter what. ;)

Oh I don't think its the cure for cancer...lol. I am just nervous that she might move when the judge comes to look at her, and this is my first show, and I don't exactly know what I am doing :rolleyes: :o :eek:. And she will ALWAYS be number one for me, ALWAYS....no matter if she was deformed or something, because shes my best friend! :D Yes, i know that she will be nervous if I am nervous, and thats why I have to make sure that I am calm. :) Thanks!

guster girl
10-21-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Miranda_Rae
Oh I don't think its the cure for cancer...lol. I am just nervous that she might move when the judge comes to look at her, and this is my first show, and I don't exactly know what I am doing :rolleyes: :o :eek:. And she will ALWAYS be number one for me, ALWAYS....no matter if she was deformed or something, because shes my best friend! :D Yes, i know that she will be nervous if I am nervous, and thats why I have to make sure that I am calm. :) Thanks!

I know for me, preparation is key. Have mock shows with a friend or something. So, that Heidi is used to that kind of thing. See if you can get small group to clap and make noise around her if she's never been around a crowd. Do whatever you can to simulate the situation you'll both be in. Whatever you need to do to feel comfortable with the situation. You have almost a month, you can be a pro by the time you get there! I don't know where you could go to learn what you need to know, but, I'm sure with a little research, you can find the resources!

Miranda_Rae
10-21-2004, 04:29 PM
I know for me, preparation is key. Have mock shows with a friend or something. So, that Heidi is used to that kind of thing. See if you can get small group to clap and make noise around her if she's never been around a crowd. Do whatever you can to simulate the situation you'll both be in. Whatever you need to do to feel comfortable with the situation. You have almost a month, you can be a pro by the time you get there! I don't know where you could go to learn what you need to know, but, I'm sure with a little research, you can find the resources!

Thank you for the advice! There really isn't any place to go except for Agility and I *probably* could take her to obedience class once in awhile, but she isn't signed up for it so I don't want to go barging in, ya know. But the intstructor has told me before to just bring her around every once in awhile. She used to show her GSP, she doesn't have them anymore, so she wants to get together with me but she is SO busy, its just crazy! Do you show Finn, or do/did you show another dog you have/had?

guster girl
10-21-2004, 04:34 PM
Thank you for the advice! There really isn't any place to go except for Agility and I *probably* could take her to obedience class once in awhile, but she isn't signed up for it so I don't want to go barging in, ya know. But the intstructor has told me before to just bring her around every once in awhile. She used to show her GSP, she doesn't have them anymore, so she wants to get together with me but she is SO busy, its just crazy! Do you show Finn, or do/did you show another dog you have/had?

I've never even been to a dog show, unfortunately! I love watching them on the tele, though! But, I've not really thought about showing Finn before, and, my only other dog was a little mutt. :) Finn's not really the style of labrador that is in the dog show ring, ya know? They usually show the shorter stockier labs. I think that's the American standard, but, I may be wrong.

Miranda_Rae
10-21-2004, 04:38 PM
I've never even been to a dog show, unfortunately! I love watching them on the tele, though! But, I've not really thought about showing Finn before, and, my only other dog was a little mutt. :) Finn's not really the style of labrador that is in the dog show ring, ya know? They usually show the shorter stockier labs. I think that's the American standard, but, I may be wrong.

Yes, they show the shorter, stockier Labs in Canada at least. I don't find them very attractive compared to the field labs. :o They are SO fun....oh my gosh. :p

aly
10-21-2004, 04:39 PM
Best of luck and many prayers coming your way!

Nov 12th is my birthday so I will remember to think of you :)

Just remember that we learn by experience. Even if you or Heidi mess up during every show, it will still be a wonderful learning experience and make you that much more prepared for the next time!

guster girl
10-21-2004, 04:40 PM
Yes, they show the shorter, stockier Labs in Canada at least. I don't find them very attractive compared to the field labs. :o They are SO fun....oh my gosh. :p

I think it's pretty much the same here, I've never seen a labrador retriever in a show (but, I've also only watched the big shows on espn and/or animal planet) that looked like Finn! He's definitely the kind you'd see hunting!

Miranda_Rae
10-21-2004, 04:43 PM
I think it's pretty much the same here, I've never seen a labrador retriever in a show (but, I've also only watched the big shows on espn and/or animal planet) that looked like Finn! He's definitely the kind you'd see hunting!

Yeah, I know. my dog trainer hunts and she breeds Labs, and they are the feild labs, and she said the Show labs wouldn't last a day in the field! :eek: :rolleyes:

guster girl
10-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I know. my dog trainer hunts and she breeds Labs, and they are the feild labs, and she said the Show labs wouldn't last a day in the field! :eek: :rolleyes:

Well, the field labs would probably suck in the show ring, too. ;)

KYS
10-21-2004, 06:01 PM
I am excited for you. :)
I know you will do just fine, and just look at
all the valuable experience you will learn.
It would be wonderful if you could find a menter.
(maybe you will meet someone at the shows)
Remember to try to enjoy yourself and don't
let anybody get to you if they are being caddy.

Miranda_Rae
10-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by KYS
I am excited for you. :)
I know you will do just fine, and just look at
all the valuable experience you will learn.
It would be wonderful if you could find a menter.
(maybe you will meet someone at the shows)
Remember to try to enjoy yourself and don't
let anybody get to you if they are being caddy.

I do have a mentor. She is the local dog trainer here in Minot, and she used to show GSPs but she is SO busy that is kind of hard to contact her and get together with her. Shes going to the same dog show and she is going to show her goldens. :) So I guess I will get some help. :) Aly, I am sure it will be a good learning and fun experiance too! :D Love your name by the way! :p

slick
10-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Prayers on the way Hun. I just know you will do well. :)

Miranda_Rae
10-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Yep, I just got my pictures back so I will be posting some pictures tomorrow hopefully. I have to e-mail them to Aly first though. They are good, I think anyway. I have to scan them, but I hope that doesn't change the picture quality. :) So excited! :D

Miranda_Rae
10-30-2004, 12:24 PM
My mentor, Carrie, told me that the GSP people aren't going to be very nice probably because they will see a nice looking bitch, and then they might lose. :rolleyes: I hope people aren't too catty. :o