PDA

View Full Version : What do you tell your dog...

PJ's Mom
10-21-2004, 01:29 PM
...when you leave the house?

Most people don't just walk out the door without saying something to their dog, and I'm wondering what you say to yours.

I always say, "Mommy's going to the store. Stay and be good."

I think they know I don't always go to the store because if I did, I would certainly bring them many more treats and toys than they currently get. :D

Kfamr
10-21-2004, 01:36 PM
I'm generally late for school because I spend about 5 minutes with each dog, giving them ear rubs and recieving kisses while telling them bye. :p

Miranda_Rae
10-21-2004, 01:37 PM
I usually say, "Bye Heidi. Love you. I'm going to miss you...yes I am..." and I might do that for awhile too! I am such a wack job...lol :rolleyes: :p A lot of people say you shouldn't make going away and coming back such a big deal because then they can develop Seperation Anxiety, but I know she doesn't, because when I get back she will be happy to see me but then its like no big deal, and she doesn't really mind me leaving her. :rolleyes:

Queen of Poop
10-21-2004, 01:46 PM
I distribute treats throughout the house for Sasha to find so she's busy for the first while when I leave. I tell her I love her and that I will see her later and to be a good girl and do a good job watching the house while I'm gone. :D

cali
10-21-2004, 01:49 PM
"no, you cant come with me!.. stay back.. I will be back soon sweetie.. I wish you could come to.. byby" lol my girls always try to follow me to school, or wherever when I go out. usually Happy gets to come if its for a walk with my friends, or I am going to the cornor store, then Happy comes, and Misty climbs on top of the wood pile and looks over the fence wondering why I did not take her too lol

GraciesMommy
10-21-2004, 01:58 PM
I always say I will be right back. I tell her mommy loves her.

Logan
10-21-2004, 02:00 PM
"Sorry, babies, you can't go with me this time", or "please be nice while I'm gone", "be patient, and I'll feed you when I get back". Gosh they can make one feel so guilty!!! :o

pitc9
10-21-2004, 02:09 PM
I tell them where I'm going, and to behave and take a nap.
Then I sing "You are my Sunshine" to them :o and tell them "Mommy loves you"

PJ's Mom
10-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by pitc9
Then I sing "You are my Sunshine" to them :o and tell them "Mommy loves you"

Awww! :D

These are all so sweet! :)

elizabethann
10-21-2004, 02:53 PM
I usually say "you stay mister....I'll be back later....you be a good boy." Then I say "Be good boys...take care of eachother" (for both my dog and 2 cats). Then when I go to my car, I look up to the second floor (my apartment is on the second floor) and he is on the couch looking at me through a pane in the window. He looks like he is saying "hey, where are you going?" and "you forgot me". He looks soooooo sad. I always wave goodbye.

senorita02
10-21-2004, 03:05 PM
I always say " okay moms gotta go now, i love you sooo much see u in a little bit, be good "
Then i smother them in kisses :D

molucass
10-21-2004, 03:22 PM
I always go turn the radio on in my room, give them all a kiss, tell them "I love you kids! I'll be back soon and im sorry you can't go.," and then I put them in their crates.

Molly stays downstairs and she usually follows me to the door..She tries to bolt out the door as soon as its opened so I say "Get back, Molly! You can't go.. Sorry little girl.. Love ya!" or something along those lines.

Aspen and Misty
10-21-2004, 03:32 PM
I normally say bye to the Breeze and Connor when I put them in the Kennel. I just say "See ya later."

I always say to Nova (who gets free roam) "Be Good Nova"

Ashley

snappy
10-21-2004, 03:38 PM
I always say, "Bye boys - Mommy's got to go to work (or where ever it is I am going). Be good and take naps. Mommy loves you and would rather be home with you."

Or something like that..... pretty silly isn't!

PJ's Mom
10-21-2004, 03:43 PM
Nah it's not silly at all. What's silly is that we all refer to oursleves in 3rd person. LOL :D

micki76
10-21-2004, 04:11 PM
I don't say anything. Millie had seperation anxiety when she came here, so we were taught to ignore her prior to leaving the house. It worked and they just sleep through my leaving now. :)

Tiah
10-21-2004, 04:11 PM
"Bye bye Sadie girl- I love you. I'll be back home soon, I promise!"

:)

guster girl
10-21-2004, 04:14 PM
I usually just tell Finn to go to bed (that's how he knows to get in his crate), pat him on the head, and say see ya later. But, I do leave often without saying anything.

ParNone
10-21-2004, 04:24 PM
I try not to make a big deal of leaving, because I don't want any separation anxiety issues. So it's usually a quick "You Guys Be Good" to Murph and Gull and "Watch out for the troops" to Oz. Then as I'm going through the door, I sometimes do my Arnold Schwarzenegger impression of "I'll be back" to'em.

Par...

Miranda_Rae
10-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by ParNone
Then as I'm going through the door, I sometimes do my Arnold Schwarzenegger impression of "I'll be back" to'em.

LOL....that made me laugh!! :D

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-21-2004, 04:27 PM
I usually say Be good, I'll be back later:) If I don't say that they stress really bad and start whining and crying as soon as I walk out the door.

pipersmom
10-21-2004, 04:28 PM
I always say, "Time to go to bed Piper. Mommy's gotta go to work. Mommy loves Piper, does Piper love Mommy?" and he licks me and I kiss him on his nose. :rolleyes:

Basset Mom
10-21-2004, 04:29 PM
I always turn animal planet on the TV. I tell them I wish I could stay home and I'll see them at lunch. Be good and give them a kiss.

Cincy'sMom
10-21-2004, 04:57 PM
In the morning I usually tell them to be good.

If I am running an errand I tell them I'll be back in a minute...be good!

Pam
10-21-2004, 05:03 PM
I tell them I won't be long. Since they have no conception of time they don't know if I am lying or not. As I leave I also tell them to be good and guard the house! LOL! Like an intruder would have a problem with these two! LOL!

Samantha Puppy
10-21-2004, 05:40 PM
I say either, "I'm sorry, baby girl. Mommy has to go to work, but if you only knew how much I wish I could stay here and cuddle with you... Have a good day, baby. I love you" or "Mommy will be right back, baby. Be a good girl!!"

Kiia
10-21-2004, 05:45 PM
I always tell Teeko I love him and to be a good boy, as I'm closing the door I say bye.

KYS
10-21-2004, 05:55 PM
You be good, see you guys later, or I'll be right back.

chrissycat21
10-21-2004, 06:22 PM
I always tell Snowy "Bye bye! I love you! Be a good girl while I'm gone and mommy will be back in a little bit!" For some reason that always seems to come out in some sort of baby voice.:p

dukedogsmom
10-21-2004, 06:25 PM
I tell him to be a good boy and I'll be back in a little while. He gets so sad that it makes me feel bad to leave him. I rub his ears and kiss his head and tell him goodbye several times before I finally go. Hate saying goodbye to my boy. Forgot to say that I tell him to guard the house.

Amber
10-21-2004, 06:32 PM
We say, for Katie "Be a good girl, watch the house, we'll be back"

For Elvis, "Bye Elvis, be good" :)

chocolatepuppy
10-21-2004, 06:34 PM
It depends on whether they'll be alone or hubby's home. I say lots of things like where I'm going and when I'll be back. Be good girls, sometimes don't cause daddy no grief, ok? :D

cfuh
10-21-2004, 07:33 PM
I'll tell my girls, "inside" so that they'll get in their crates and ask them "if they want a cookie?" but always give them each one. Shut the crate doors and turn on the radio. Tell them "I love you both!!!" and "I'll be back soon!!"

:) :) :)

ComedyDevil
10-21-2004, 07:49 PM
They all go to their beds. Then I tell them to sit, and give them either a kong or a chew toy. Then I normally just say "bye boys, be good". Most of the time they don't even notice I've left :p

Mkitty
10-21-2004, 08:09 PM
I usually cuddle or baby talk over Cubby and/or Nikka(2 of our cats):rolleyes: . They are soooo cute someday I'll actually get pictures on here:rolleyes: :p! If Rainy goes to school with me I will always say, "Bye Rainy, I love you, be a good dog and guard the house and take good care of the kitty(Cubby or Nikka). We also have to keep Cubby from getting out in the morning lol:p he's a sneeky one. Jack, who is an outdoor cat, usually gets let out from the garage by my mom(he has some urinating problems so he has to stay outside sadly) but I occasionally say, "Bye Jack, I love you!" I sometimes feed my fish, Silver Gill, as well. He's always hungry! I don't try and neglect him though, and my sister and my parents feed him throughout the day usually. If I know he hasn't been fed for awhile I give him alot of food pellets, and it seems to be alright to do because he has lived for almost four years in counting!:eek:

lute
10-21-2004, 08:16 PM
i tell Beanie that i'm gonna go and i'll be back in a little while. when i'm gone for a long time (which rarely happends) i'll tell him i'm really sorry and i give him a kiss.

when i go to the petstore beanie seems to know that i went there when i come in the door. he smells the bag as if to say "give it to me now! i know you went there now GIVE!"

sabies
10-21-2004, 09:58 PM
Sadie used to have separation anxiety and I know I was supposed to not make a big scene and leave but I've always had to say good bye, don't worry, back soon - I'm sure it made her more neurotic. At some point I got in the habit of giving her a pig ear before leaving and now when I say bye it seems she doesn't notice.

talia22
10-21-2004, 10:06 PM
When i am going to work (pet sitting) i say Mommys gotta go to work now but i would rather be home with you guys and u know it but someones gotta make money to buy your bones:)haha then i say in this order bye bye T, Tal,Munk, barn and be good and when i talk to the boys i say dont do anything your brother wouldnt do and vice versa...I go a little over board

cyber-sibes
10-21-2004, 10:57 PM
I usually go out to the kennel and give them a treat and tell them to be nice to each other, and DON'T GO ANYWHERE - STAY HERE! (They love to dig escape routes, but always stop short of opening up a hole to freedom). I usually tell them if I'll be gone for awhile or if I'll be right back. At night I go in the kennel to give hugs and get kisses.

lovemyshiba
10-21-2004, 11:26 PM
It depends. If I'm leaving for work, and they are crated, I tell them each "Mommy loves you______, be good, I'll see you later"

If I'm running to the store, I tell them where I'm going, and what for, "Mommy has to run to Target--I need some wrapping paper, tissues, windex, and a magazine"

If my husband is home when I leave, it's "Be good for daddy, mommy loves you_____"

And, in the rare even that they are all out of the crates, it's "BEHAVE--Abbey, you're in charge!!!""

I go overboard I suppose.:rolleyes: :o

joycenalex
10-22-2004, 07:12 AM
i tell alex, bye i love you, take care of the house give him his goodbye treat and leave. i do hide treats around the house so i know he is into hunting them down instead of whining for me.

cloverfdx
10-22-2004, 09:20 AM
I dont fuss over them just a quick bye and be good and im off. If i am going out on a Saturday night i usualy give Clover a hug and tell her "Your going to school in the morning" or "Go see Jackson tomorrow" and yes she knows ;).