PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it odd...

Smilla
08-30-2000, 10:17 PM
...that I'm bored easily by stories about people's children, but I could listen to them go on and on about their pets?

...that I wouldn't think of pulling up a website every day to look at pictures of strangers' babies, but I rarely miss a Dog of the Day?

karen israel
08-31-2000, 07:05 AM
What a HOOT that you would say that!! A friend of a friend etc built a website for their twins and have beem asking me to check it monthly and I never do. Dog of the day? When I have a bad time a work I switch on to it again to see those faces! I even use them as wallpaper on my computer when I fall in love. I must check Pet Talk 10 times a day too!! I made lots of new friends! I'll sooner stop for a dog on the street than a baby. I like kids-don't get me wrong, but I am a dog MAGNET!! Pit Bulls, Rotties, yorkies-doesn't matter, we just BOND!! What a timely subject! How funny!!!

RachelJ
08-31-2000, 08:41 AM
Ditto to the above. My husband has limited me to two dogs and as wonderful as they are (future Dogs of the Day), I enjoy getting to know other individual dogs and the relationships they have with their people. Dog of the Day can brighten my day, especially when I read about dogs like Buddy, who have been given a second chance at a good life and reward their new owners so substantially.

RachelJ
08-31-2000, 08:48 AM
Also, sometimes I go into PetsMart even when I don't need anything, just to run into dogs with their owners. People who shop with their dogs are so generous and let me interact with their furkids. One lady even let me hold her new Maltese puppy and I got to get a whiff of puppy breath.

karen israel
08-31-2000, 09:52 AM
RachelJ- AW! AW! AW! AW!I LOVE puppybreath! A while back at a PetSmart this lady came in w/a white furball puppy (1/2 Amer Eskimo I thought) that someone in her office found wandering in the parking lot. Nobody wanted it so she was on her way home (she had to buy supplies) That next day she and her husband were driving to New England for a wedding and were told not to bring the dog, so she wasn't going to the wedding! She and her husband (the dears) didn't want to leave the poor, lost puppy! Definitely a gold medal Compassion Award! She was really neat!

Jeannie
09-04-2000, 08:58 AM
So true! Pet/dog/cat of the day is a daily stop online for me. Would not even occur to me to look at a baby of the day site if one existed. We have 3 dog and 3 cats. We consider all the wild birds who visit our feeders our guys (we even name the regulars and yes we can tell them apart.
The pet site is a way for me to have even more animals in my life if only for a few minutes. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif

------------------

lhg0962
09-05-2000, 09:53 AM
I'm just glad to know that I am not the only one who makes a regular visit to this website! It is part of my regular routine, and if I miss a day, I always go look at the previous pets too. I have thoroughly enjoyed the addition of the Pet Talk. I think some of my friends get tired of hearing about all of our escapades http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/redface.gif and you guys don't mind at all. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/cool.gif

karen israel
09-06-2000, 07:14 AM
I've learned so much plus made lots of new friends. i try to visit a few times a day too! There's nothing like an animal lover!!

10-02-2000, 05:12 AM
Everyone has seemed to cover exactly how I feel. This website is bookmarked and visited every single day - when I miss a day I always review the faces I have missed. Hopefully my two girls' faces will be on soon. It is funny how I can watch the news and see something about a missing child and think wow, how awful, but if I see something about animal cruelty or a dog rescue I lose it! I am in tears immediately! I feel bad about it because I know how valuable humans are but dogs just get me. It's unexplainable. I go gaa-gaa over every dog I run into. Every doggie face I see brings a smile to my day http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif I have pictures of my girls all over my desk at work and when the day gets rough and long I just find myself staring at them and all is better. I miss them terribly when I am away http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif I don't have children and I do love kids but I would rather have a houseful of dogs. They are my kids http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Coach Carol
10-02-2000, 06:36 AM
This website is wonderful - I'm from a long line of dog lovers - my Mom started a grass roots effort to change the local dog pound's practices/policies - in two years the number of volunteers has grown from 2 to 75 members and they have made great strides in changing the policies of the pound and also to be able to get in and work with the dogs and improve the conditions - I'm so proud of my Mom - and she began this all at the age of 70! Both my mom and I spend hours talking about our dogs, like young mothers reviewing the antics of our toddlers! We too gush and cry over every dog/cat/horse story that hit's the news - but we know too well of the true inhumanity that surrounds us every day. This website is a wonderful forum for all of us who know that the relationship that we have with our animals is truly a gift. The large humane organizations are wonderful and easy to support especially now, with the holidays coming up they're all sending out their pleas - but please don't forget the local efforts to end inhumane treatment of animals. It may take some extra effort to find them - but they also need our support.

------------------
Carol L. Lambe
Career & Personal Development Coach
Voice: (203) 746-7474
Fax: (203) 746-6883
Email: [email protected]

teena
10-03-2000, 08:19 AM
What can I say? You guys have said it all! I too have been limited to 2 dogs by my hubby (just lost our 3rd dog to old age) and it really makes my day to know I'm not the only dog nut out there. Yesterday at PetsMart, a guy was walking in with the cutest puppy - I passed him and said, "Hi Buddy!" to the puppy. The guy says, "how'd you know his name." He looked bewildered. Was very funny. Anyway, nice to know all of you are here every day. Hats off to all of you pet lovers. P.S. Would rather look at dogs too!

karen israel
10-03-2000, 08:29 AM
Oh Teena! How FUNNY!!! LOL!!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif!!!

tatsxxx11
10-21-2000, 08:05 AM
So glad to know there are other animal fanatics out there! I'm a nurse who has witnessed the most tragic of human illness' and suffering. But it is the suffering and plight of lost, abandoned or sick animals that really gets to me. Glad to hear someone else out there can see a sad story about a child and feel badly, but burst into tears over the plight of a furkid. Babies are cute, but nothing beats the sweet smell, softness and breath of a puppy! Can't pass up a chance to stop anyone with a "pup" to say hi and hopefully get a big lick on the face. Although a new "member" to your site, it is my mission to go back and see all of the previous dogs, cats and pets of the day. EVERYONE is soooo precious it's almost painful!

Smilla
10-21-2000, 10:21 PM
I've read my own thoughts in so many of your posts! Witness this recent conversation with my husband:

Me: I think that when I am very old, I'll be one of those weird dog ladies with about 12 mutts underfoot at all times.

Him: Oh, no you won't.

Me: Well then, you'd better outlive me.

I too become very upset when I hear stories about animal cruelty, more so than when I hear stories about humans being cruel to one another. I've often wondered why it's so. Is it because I know that dogs would never be cruel to one another or to humans, just for the heck of it, as humans too often are? I don't especially want to wax philosophical and will stop right there, but I did want to say that I do know EXACTLY what you mean.

Smilla
10-21-2000, 10:29 PM
For the sake of fairness, I should report that my husband says my last post made him sound like a "pet ogre".

salliem
10-22-2000, 06:31 AM
I just found this web site last night. It is wonderful. You are all right. I also would rather look at pictures and listen to stories about dogs a lot more than babies!

KYS
10-22-2000, 09:27 AM
Most of family puts up with me talking
about my dogs all the time.
While my sisters talk about their
kids, I talk about my dogs.
I even get mother-day cards from
my sisters and Aunt sent to me
by my dogs. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

RachelJ
10-22-2000, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Smilla:
Witness this recent conversation with my husband:

Me: I think that when I am very old, I'll be one of those weird dog ladies with about 12 mutts underfoot at all times.

Him: Oh, no you won't.

Me: Well then, you'd better outlive me.

I bet that if I say the "12 mutts" statement to my husband (and that is how I feel as well), he will say exactly what your husband said. Then I get to say your line. I'll let you know!

karen israel
10-23-2000, 09:04 AM
Love me. love my dog. Bottom Line. I have a life, true, but if a dog subject comes up, you better be prepared. So many people ask about Cody, before they ask about me, and that suits me fine. When he had his surgery and I took off from work for 2 weeks, not a question was asked, unlike a human ("Hey, it's Monday are you sure you're sick I need a Dr note!)He even got get well cards. I may sound crazy but I know we were meant to be together from the second I held him. As a first time dog owner (dummy me) he turned out pretty good! There is a sad situation in my home life right now so to be able to come home to him ..well, I just say lots of thankful prayers endlessly cause I don't know what I would do without him. He's my angel dog.

WendyK
10-24-2000, 09:44 AM
My mom claims that when I was about 10, I told her she'd have granddogs instead of grandkids, and that's how it is. As a matter of fact, I just got her a coffee mug that says, "Ask me about my granddogs!"

Proud human to 2 "Borgis" (Beagle/Corgi mixes)

------------------
WendyK

--"The more I know people, the more I love my dogs."

karen israel
10-24-2000, 10:27 AM
OOOH! Me too!! In fact, my mother bought me every imaginable "do something" doll that ever came out-some are still wrapped up which we are going to sell.. all I EVER played with were stuffed animals, 99% were dogs, many of which I still have! Can't give those babies away! All I ever wanted for a gift was a dog. Now I have the best gift in the world!

Smilla
10-24-2000, 01:31 PM
Wendy,

I'm interested in your Beagle/Corgi mixed breed dogs (we have a Corgi). What do they look like? Do you have any pictures posted online?

lhg0962
10-24-2000, 06:54 PM
Karen mentioned getting "get well" cards for Cody when he was recuperating. A friend of mine had her heart broken when her little Maltese was stepped on by a larger dog and died. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif I have always grieved when I've lost pets, but she actually got flowers, sympathy cards and many, many calls of regret. No one ever did that when one of our pets died, but obviously, "Ruby" was special to lots of people. My friend still hasn't been able to bring herself to get another dog. Their older Golden Retriever also died recently of cancer. They have had a rough year!!
Point is, there are people that understand what we go through for our pets. I love mine unconditionally! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

RachelJ
10-25-2000, 07:06 AM
The day my Bailey left us for the Rainbow Bridge, my friends stopped over one at a time to spend a little time with me. I found out later that they had arranged to stagger their visits throughout the day because they were all worried about me, knowing that my Bailey was my "Dog of a Lifetime" whom I couldn't comprehend losing. It was one of the kindest gestures I have ever received.

karen israel
10-25-2000, 12:36 PM
Sniff, Sniff..I don't even want to think of that day. Just 5 minutes ago my co-worker by the window called me over to see a Border Collie walk down the street. Client went on hold..Karen runs over, 4 other people follow me and we OOOOHHH in unison. Do I have these people trained or what!?

WendyK
11-07-2000, 04:51 PM
Oops, been offline all week - I'll give you a quick description and try to get Mr. WendyK in gear to get their photo gallery posted!

Mojo is 4, and he has the short legged, long Corgi body, Beagle markings, floppy ears, and a Corgi face, with the longer snout.

Binkley is 3, and has the long body, but longer legs (he's a few inches taller than Mojo), and floppy ears, he's the reddish-gold Corgi color with white marks (4 white "gloves" on his paws), and his face can look Corgi or Beagle-y, depending on what his ears are doing. If they're flopping down, he looks more Beagle, and if they're pointing up, like if he's rolling on the floor, he looks Corgi-ish.

They both have tails from hell. Personality-wise, we think Mojo might have some Basset in him, because he's extremely lazy. Binks is hyper (nicknamed "Ritalin Boy"). Both are a little dog-aggressive, but love people.

Hopefully that gives you some idea!

Smilla
11-07-2000, 07:46 PM
Thanks! It gives me some idea, yes--but I'd love to see pictures if you ever get any posted!