PDA

View Full Version : Interesting city names

Uabassoon
10-21-2004, 01:05 AM
I saw this on another board I'm on and thought it was neat. All states have a city or two with a funny/strange name. What cities are in your state? My two favorite here in Az are

Bumble Bee, Arizona
Surprise, Arizona (I think the surprise is that there is nothing at all in that town!)

BCBlondie
10-21-2004, 01:34 AM
In California, we have a city called Los Gatos (The Cats, in Spanish). :D

That's all I can think of for now...

guster girl
10-21-2004, 01:51 AM
All I can think of right off the top of my head is Puyallup, Washington. There's a fair there every year and the commercials are so funny/cheesy...."do the puyallup" in like a sing song thing. ;) Washington has some crazy names!

guster girl
10-21-2004, 01:52 AM
Normal, Illinois (I just remembered that one!) and, I remember actually going through Kentucky and stopping at the Beaver Lick Trading Post and Big Bone Lick State Park. We have photos of both signs, and, I just saw the names on one of those links, and, it jogged my memory! Hopefully, I can scan them once I find the pics. :)

guster girl
10-21-2004, 01:54 AM
If you don't wanna work too hard thinkin' about it, here's a site of "strange city names".....

http://www.floydpinkerton.net/fun/citynames.html

this is funny, too!

http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/~lucasp/city.html

http://www.geocities.com/eddyd84/towns.html

Not to prevent people from using their own knowledge or experience to add funny names, but, just to add to this thread. I used to work for a company doing data entry, and, we saw weird city names all the time, I wish I'd made a list!

swimma253
10-21-2004, 05:32 AM
New York

Back to the Top

Flushing

Hicksville Why thank you.:rolleyes:lmao

Holland Patent

Horseheads

Irish Settlements

Jay

Neversink

Paradox

Pasonville

Patchoque

Poughquag

Red Hook

davidpizzica
10-21-2004, 05:48 AM
I know of Mars, Pa, and Accident, Maryland!

Tonya
10-21-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I saw this on another board I'm on and thought it was neat. All states have a city or two with a funny/strange name. What cities are in your state? My two favorite here in Az are

Bumble Bee, Arizona
Surprise, Arizona (I think the surprise is that there is nothing at all in that town!)

Haha! My cousin is getting married in Surprise next year. When we first found out he was getting married in Az...my stepmom couldn't remember the name and she was all "It's a really stupid name....ummm Present?....no, no that's not it....ummm Liberty?...ummm...I know Surprise!" I was like "WTF?"

Tonya
10-21-2004, 06:27 AM
My mom lives in Salida which means Exit in Spanish. The town is now nice and nearly a city but when we were kids, it was small and dingy. We used to joke that when they saw the town, they wanted to get the hell out, so they named it Exit.

Tonya
10-21-2004, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by BCBlondie
In California, we have a city called Los Gatos (The Cats, in Spanish). :D

That's all I can think of for now...

I have said Los Gatos a million times but never thought about the translation! It sure does!

Samantha Puppy
10-21-2004, 07:13 AM
I live not far from Boring, Maryland. I also know of (excuse my dirty mind) Intercourse, PA and Blue Ball, PA. :o

BitsyNaceyDog
10-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Around here we have
Kissimmee
Celebration
Harmony
Christmas
yeehaw junction
holopaw
intercession city
kenansville
mascotte
Howey in the Hills
The viliages
Winter garden

BitsyNaceyDog
10-21-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by swimma253
New York
Horseheads

my cousin used to live in Horsehead, NY

slleipnir
10-21-2004, 09:20 AM
Newfoundland has really odd ones o_O (ie...Pecker's Point and Dildo) they're actual places

Logan
10-21-2004, 09:36 AM
In SC, we have a town named "Sugar Tit" (NO LIE!) and one called Pumpkintown. I'm sure there are more but those are the first two that come to mind.

Logan

pitc9
10-21-2004, 09:46 AM
We have a city named Coolville in Ohio!!:cool:

cloverfdx
10-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Our state must be TINY i can list all of our cities in this one post, and unfortunatly none are all that interesting.

Melbourne (Capital)
Albury-Wodonga (New South Wales/ Victorian border)
Ballarat (The city i live in)
Bendigo
Geelong
LaTrobe Valley
Mildura
Shepparton

Boring i know ;).

sirrahbed
10-21-2004, 10:39 AM
On the way from Dayton, Ohio to Ft Wayne Indiana, we pass the exit to Hicksville:D I am not sure if it is in Ohio or Indiana but we always laugh and wonder how they came up with THAT name!!
Can you imagine saying "I am from Hicksville"?:rolleyes:

micki76
10-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Some that I know of in Texas are:

Gun Barrel City
Cut and Shoot
Tarzan
Noodle (MIL was borne there)
Kickapoo
Dimple
Bug Tussle (seriously) is just south of:
Honey Grove
Cat Spring
I think there’s a :
Chihuahua Farm :D

And Chester! ;)

guster girl
10-21-2004, 11:14 AM
there's a pflugerville, texas, too! :)

davidpizzica
10-21-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by cloverfdx
Our state must be TINY i can list all of our cities in this one post, and unfortunatly none are all that interesting.

Melbourne (Capital)
Albury-Wodonga (New South Wales/ Victorian border)
Ballarat (The city i live in)
Bendigo
Geelong
LaTrobe Valley
Mildura
Shepparton

Boring i know ;). Cloverfdx, there is a LaTrobe that is a suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania!

micki76
10-21-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by guster girl
there's a pflugerville, texas, too! :)

LOL! Yep, we have a branch office there! :D I hate having to spell it all the time for our vendors! :rolleyes:

lizzielou742
10-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Hahaha these are funny.

Yes, the Big Bone Lick State Park sign is well-known here in KY. ;)

Kentucky also has:

Beauty
Beaver Bottom
Beaverlick
Blackey
Burning Fork
Burning Springs
Cadillac
Cranks
Combs
Confluence
Cut Shin
Decoy
Defiance
Duckers
Dukedom
Dwarf
Fugit
Gaybourn
Gays Creek
Gobblers Knob
Goose Creek
Hazard
Head of the Grassy
Hell-fer-Sartin
Hellier
Hippo
Hyden
Jetson
Knob Lick
Krypton
Long Fork
Lovely
Monkey's Eyebrow
Morehead
Moon
Mummie
Mud Lick
Neon
Oddville
Ono
Ordinary
Oscar
Paint Lick
Parrot
Petroleum
Pippa Passes
Possum Trot
Poverty
Pyramid
Quicksand
Rabbit Hask
Ready
Redhouse
Relief
Ringos Mills
Select
Shoulderblade
Sizerock
Slusher
Sligo
Smile
Smilex
Spider
Sugartit
Thousandsticks
Top Most
Turkey
Viper
Vortex
Wax
Yeadiss
Zoe

Now, I got a lot of these off the Internet. I have not heard of all of them, but most of them I have. I think a few, like Gaybourn, Hell-fer-sartin and Cut Shin, are names of residential areas...not exactly incorporated cities. In rural Kentucky, that happens a lot. ;) In fact, I only know Hell-fer-sartin and Cut Shin (they are very near each other) because my boyfriend is from that area!

That's right, Kentucky is pretty darn weird! I love it! :D

guster girl
10-21-2004, 11:36 AM
Here are a few more for Texas...

Hoop and Holler
Jot-Em-Down
Lake-Run-A-Muk

Found these online! :)

popcornbird
10-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Hmmm.......let's see. From the top of my head:

Bakersfield, CA

Bishop, CA

Birds Landing, CA

Long Barn, CA

I'm sure there are more. :p

BitsyNaceyDog
10-21-2004, 12:43 PM
We went to Outer Banks North Carolina for vacation a few years ago, they had some funny names of towns there- Duck, Kitty Hawk, and Nags Head

cali
10-21-2004, 12:48 PM
Elbow Sask.
Lipton Sask.
and on the border of sask. and Manatoba FLIN FLON lol

molucass
10-21-2004, 12:50 PM
These's aren't that strange, but theres a city called

"Rose City"
&
"Pine Forest"

We also have a city called "Jasper". :)

PJ's Mom
10-21-2004, 01:02 PM
You can also add Blanket and Lawn to the list of Texas towns. :rolleyes:

smokey the elder
10-21-2004, 03:18 PM
There are towns called Deposit, Moon and Crescent in New York. There are towns with some truly jawbreaker names in Wisconsin (Oconomowoc, Ashwabinon, etc.)

HoRsELUvR
10-21-2004, 03:25 PM
In Maryland, we have a town called Chevy Chase, but I never really thought about its weirdness before.

Aspen and Misty
10-21-2004, 03:35 PM
Home, Pennsylvania!

:D Gotta LOOOVE home!

Ashley

catnapper
10-21-2004, 04:43 PM
More Pennsylvania towns:
Blue Ball
Intercourse
Birdinhand

lizzielou742
10-21-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by HoRsELUvR
In Maryland, we have a town called Chevy Chase, but I never really thought about its weirdness before.

There's an area of Lexington, KY caled Chevy Chase. The whole time I loved there, I always wondered why that was, but never did figure it out!

Fox-Gal
10-21-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
On the way from Dayton, Ohio to Ft Wayne Indiana, we pass the exit to Hicksville:D I am not sure if it is in Ohio or Indiana but we always laugh and wonder how they came up with THAT name!!
Can you imagine saying "I am from Hicksville"?:rolleyes:

LOL I use to live not to far from there and a old friend still lives there. So she does have to say "I am from Hicksville"

There's also a town around there somewhere that was called Possum Hill.

Just a few towns I know of in Florida.
Opa-Locka
NiceVille
Mayo
Willbur-by-the-Sea
Doctor Phillips (how would you like to say "I live in Doctor Phillips. :eek: )

Then theres my town for people that can't spell.
Lorida, Florida. (made it easy for people, just take the F off Florida)

sweet_stormy
10-21-2004, 05:44 PM
one town i have always liked in new york is Canajoharie... It means "the boiling pot"

K & L
10-21-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon

Bumble Bee, Arizona

You'd be surprised (no pun intended) but the town of Surprise is booming. It's going to have one of the largest malls in the State! Housing is booming there.

Twisterdog
10-21-2004, 08:47 PM
I don't think Wyoming has any terribly wierd town names ... nothing that sounds dirty, at any rate. ;) Welllll ... I take that back. We have the Grand Teton mountain range, which means "large breasts" in French.

Here are our most unusual town names:

Acme
Aladdin
Baggs
Bar Nunn
Chugwater
Crowheart
Elmo
Little America
Meeteetse
Moose
Muddy Gap
Recluse
Tie Siding
Smoot
Ten Sleep

BCBlondie
10-21-2004, 09:09 PM
There's a city in Connecticut called Mianus. :D LOL!

Amber
10-21-2004, 09:28 PM
Hicksville, Ohio

River Styx, Ohio

prechrswife
10-21-2004, 10:48 PM
The one that comes to mind right now is Between, GA. It's kind of amusing to call someone on the cell phone as you are driving through. When they ask where you are, the honest answer is "I'm in Between.":) There is also a little town in our county called Parrott, GA.

Kiia
10-22-2004, 08:47 AM
There's a city in Connecticut called Mianus :eek: I wouldn't like to be from that city.

I can see it now..

Q: So where are you from?
A: Mianus

:o

LOL I never knew there were so many weird names for cities. This is pretty cool to find out.

pitc9
10-22-2004, 08:59 AM
Just this morning on the news I heard about a town a town in Michigan. It's Hell.

Yeah... there is a Hell, Michigan!!!

"So, where are you going this weekend?"
"Oh I think I'll take a trip to Hell"

LOL!!!:D

(Sorry if this was already said, I looked through the posts and didn't think I saw it!)

BCBlondie
10-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Kiia
:eek: I wouldn't like to be from that city.

I can see it now..

Q: So where are you from?
A: Mianus

:o

LOL I never knew there were so many weird names for cities. This is pretty cool to find out.
ROFLOL!!! I know! haha

I saw that on the show Jack@$$... they went to the city and started asking the people that live there all these questions about the city. It was hilarious! :D

Desert Arabian
10-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Hey- now now Smokey the elder- those names are not hard at all!Hehe! Wisconsin is wonderful! :p

Other odd Wisconsin city names:

Cheeseville, WI
Embarrass, WI
Beetown, WI
Footville, WI
Gay Mills, WI
Spread Eagle, WI

I found this one on the net and it made me laugh so hard....what an embarrasing place to live, especially if your name happend to be Maggie!

Maggie's Nipples, Wyoming

Twisterdog
10-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Maggie's Nipples, Wyoming

Hate to burst your bubble, but that is NOT a town in Wyoming. At least, it's not a town I have EVER heard of, and I've lived here for 26 years. It also does not have a zip code, and is not listed in the atlas. Sorry.

GiantSchnauzer
10-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Cities/Towns in Massachusetts:

Florida
Washington
Peru
Belchertown
Marblehead
Mashpee
Sandwich
Gay Head(was renamed Aqinnah)
Barnstable

Don't you wonder how they came up with these names?

Desert Arabian
10-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Hate to burst your bubble, but that is NOT a town in Wyoming. At least, it's not a town I have EVER heard of, and I've lived here for 26 years. It also does not have a zip code, and is not listed in the atlas. Sorry.

Gee, sorry.......

swimma253
10-22-2004, 09:53 PM
Liverpool... i dont know if thatts considered wierd. lol