PDA

View Full Version : Toby had a checkup today ...

ComedyDevil
10-20-2004, 04:59 PM
... and it's good news :D

The vet said Toby looked really well considering how ill he was only a week ago :) He's stopped pulling his fur out, his scar is healing and it's already less noticable. He said we can start re-introducing his regular food, and start taking him on short walks again! YAY! Pretty soon he'll be back to his old self! :D

I have noticed he's finding some things harder though. He's sleeping a lot more than he used to, although I guess that's because he's still recovering. He's finding it more of an effort to get onto the couch and climb the stairs now, and he doesnt jump up at the gate any more (I guess that's a good thing, but I hate to think it's because it hurts him to jump)

I hate thinking about it, but I guess he's getting older :( He's 8 now, how long does a Lab mix generally live? He's doing better every day though, so hopefully he's still just recovering, and he'll be back to his old self soon. I can't wait to start taking him for walks, finally everything will be 'normal' again. I'll get some new pictures of him soon :p

tatsxxx11
10-20-2004, 05:06 PM
It's great to hear this encouraging update!!! Toby, you're amazing:) Don't get discouraged...Toby has been through a lot, having been so ill and then going through major surgery. He is most likely still having a lot of discomfort and his body physiologically, is still recuperating. 8 is not old for a Labbie mix:) I'll bet in a few weeks, with rest and good nutrition and lots of love which I KNOW he's getting, he'll be just about back to his former self:) I don't know if you've ever had major abdominal surgery, but it can take quite some time to regain your pre op strength, stamina and enthusiasim! Keep up the good work, Toby! We love ya sweetheart and are so proud of you:) Love and hugs to you Toby! Sandra, Cody and Star:)

Kfamr
10-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Thanks for sharing the good news, Amy!
I'm sure Toby has many, many years to live.
My neighbor had two full-bred yellow labs. They left us to the bridge at 16 years of age.

Now, generally, mixes live longer than pure breds.

I know how you feel though. :( My Simba is turning 7 this Christmas. He's my absolute angel and never-ending box of tissues. I don't know what I'd do with out him and I know he has years ahead of him, but it's just not long enough.

[[Hugs to you, Toby, Squid, and Ollie!]]

chocolatepuppy
10-20-2004, 05:19 PM
Glad to hear Toby is doing well! Give him sometime, I'm sure he'll be his old self soon. Hopefully he has many years ahead of him. :)

RobiLee
10-20-2004, 05:23 PM
I'm glad to hear that Toby is doing better. Its going to take some time for him to get back to his good ol self. Hang in there. Give him a hug from me please!

Robin

ComedyDevil
10-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Hugs have been given :p

I know 8 isn't old really ... I guess I'm just being silly. Him being at the vets just made me realise how different life would be without him ... I just don't want to watch him deteriorate as he gets older. Hopefully that won't start happening for a few more years yet though, I'm sure he is still recovering and I can't wait 'til I can start taking him out again - he's going to love it too! :D

pitc9
10-20-2004, 07:27 PM
So glad to hear Toby is doing well!!
8 is not that old, like others have said, he's still recovering from when he was sick.

micki76
10-20-2004, 07:47 PM
I'm so glad he got a good report from the vet. Good boy Toby, just keep getting better!

I know how you feel about him getting older. I dread it everytime I think baout losing one. Especially Chester for some reason. He's always been sickly and pitiful, so maybe that's why, lol.

cloverfdx
10-21-2004, 02:45 AM
What encouraging news Amy :D. Yes indeed 8 is not that old, although i have the same thoughts Clover will be 6 next week and i can see her slowing down and the grey whiskers are starting to pop up.

Thats will be great for you both when you can start walking again, i bet Toby will go nuts. :D

I look forward to seeing some new pics soon ;).