PDA

View Full Version : I need help now for my goldfish

wolfie
10-20-2004, 01:49 PM
He's been floating upside down for a couple of days, and he has black spots on him. But he's still alive, and still moving a little (well, breathing).

The day he started doing it I changed half the water, and I though it helped, but now he's doing it again.

My mom said I should flush him... but I think it'd cause him more pain. What should I do? I don't want to see him suffer. ;_;

PJ's Mom
10-20-2004, 01:52 PM
What do you keep him in? An aquarium or a bowl? Is his abdomen swollen? Any other symptons besides the black spots?

PJ's Mom
10-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Also, do you have any snails with him...or have you recently?

wolfie
10-20-2004, 02:04 PM
thank you

He's in a 5 gallon aquarium. His symptoms are that he's floating on his back on the bottom of the tank, and has black spots.

And there aren't any snails, just him and another goldfish.

PJ's Mom
10-20-2004, 02:10 PM
You're welcome. ;)

Could be black spot disease. Although I've never heard of a fish sinking with black spot. The treatment for black spot is easy. Get a good anti-parasitic medicine at your pet store. Follow the directions on the bottle for a 5 gallon tank. If you have a hospital tank, now would be a good time to move him to it.

If you feel it's time to let him go, please don't flush him. It's a very inhumane way to do it. Place him in a ziploc bag full of his fishie water and a few ice cubes and place him in the freezer. He's cold-blooded, and the cold will just kind of put him to sleep slowly.

Now, about the sinking problem...can he eat?

CathyBogart
10-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Go to www.fishgeeks.com You will find a never-ending source of fish knowledge. :)

wolfie
10-20-2004, 02:52 PM
Thank you both!

On the link from WolfChan I looked up "black spots" and it doesnt say anything about being upside down and not swimming... but it could be black spots disease...

If I give him the medicine, is it okay to leave him in the same tank as the other fish? I don't have a hospital tank.

And no, I don't think he's eating. Could he have two problems?

PJ's Mom
10-20-2004, 02:55 PM
I think he does have two problems. One of them could be swim bladder disease. That's a little tougher to clear up. :(

Does it look like his belly is swollen?

wolfie
10-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
I think he does have two problems

aw. :(

no, he doesn't look swollen.

PJ's Mom
10-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Not being swollen rules out dropsy. (that's a good thing)

Unfortunately, swim bladder disease in it's later stages is almost impossible to cure. :(

One more question...does he even try to swim? It may look like he can't get to the top of the tank no matter how hard he tries. He may even roll around...like he doesn't have any balance.