PDA

View Full Version : Our New rescue husky Sequoia!

Denyce
10-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Well it is about time I introduced one of the newest members of our household. We rescued her in July from an abusive home a couple of counties over from us. When we picked her up she was soooo sweet. She sat in the back of the car and put her chin on our shoulders while licking our cheeks. We placed her in a foster home with a friend of ours because we were told she had issues with cats. Well actually that she had caught, killed and ingested a cat one of the times she had been tied up without any food or water. I certainly can't blame her for that!!

We spent the rest of July and all of August trying to find her the perfect home. All the while we kept on becoming more and more attatched to her. We would take her to the Ice cream Socials at Wiscoy food on Friday evenings and would keep her at our home on the weekends.

Labor Day weekend we finally gave up and purchased a chain link kennal. She is now in her furever home. She does get extremely excited when she sees the cats so we have worked out a schedule for inside time. She doesnt' seem to care for being inside for more than a couple of hours anyway. Although she does settle down and sleep in our carpeted laundry room at night.

Sequoia changed in appearance so much since we picked her up in July. When we got her she only had a small amount of red on her head and a little on her shoulders. The rest of her was covered in very wiry thick long white hair. As you can see in the pictures she has lost most of that hair. She is now soooo plush and such a deep beautiful red. Her coat has become so very soft to the touch. She is still getting loose tufts of hair but I brush almost every day. Her coat is so thick now with winter coming that you can hardly touch her skin.

I know all of you who own huskies are nodding and smiling. She is a character and we love her so much. She talks to us often and loves to go on meet and greets around the town. She takes food like a lady and rarely begs. She knows she is the Queen of the neighborhood and doesn't even acknowledge other dogs unless they get in her face. I must admit at this point she tends to a bit of a snarl and a snap. She loves walking in the woods everyday and chasing acorns. She has a real love affair with acorns. She is spayed and will be 4 years old this December. I did talk to her breeder and could get her registration papers if I cared to but I don't really see the point.

She and the cats are all learning to get along. We have talked to a local trainer who trains search and rescue dogs and drug sniffing dogs. He doesnt' feel she has an aggression problem and that with some obedience work we can get her to accept our cats and off limits. But if not we still have a good working schedule and a pretty happy family.

Here is our Sequoia

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/TheMightyHuntress/271fb88f.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/TheMightyHuntress/5c8b73c2.jpg

After a long day of playing....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/TheMightyHuntress/68b63877.jpg

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-19-2004, 09:33 PM
OMG, she is GORGEOUS! I love huskies:D Thanks for sharing:D:D

guster girl
10-19-2004, 09:37 PM
She's wonderful! Wow, I love her color. There's a really cute husky in amongst all of the pics I've just posted of Finn and his dog park buddies. If you wanna check it out, Sarge is the husky. :) Thanks for sharing your pretty girl!

dogs_4_me
10-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Sequoia is beautiful! I love her coloring! The last picture is adorable, I love how her paw is around the duck toy:D

DogLover9501
10-19-2004, 10:41 PM
Sequoia is gorgeous!!!

K9soul
10-19-2004, 10:42 PM
She's GORGEOUS!! :eek: I love the closeup, the second one. Just beautiful! Your story about how she won your heart was truly touching. Congratulations on adopting this beautiful sweet husky girl :)

Kfamr
10-19-2004, 10:46 PM
She is absolutely stunning!
What a wonderful story.
Amy (wolf_Q) will love her!

cyber-sibes
10-19-2004, 10:53 PM
WOW!!! What a gorgeous girl!!! she is so fortunate to have an angel like you watching out for her - so many huskies end up in rescues or abused because people don't know what to do with them - definitly not the breed for everyone! Of course, we're partial, and we absolutely love that mischievious independent spirit they have! I hope you have many many wonderful times together, and thanks for saving a wonderful husky!

lovemyshiba
10-19-2004, 10:54 PM
YOU KEPT HER!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D

I just knew you would!!!!!
She looks beautiful!! I guess it was about 2 months ago when I met her, she is such a wonderful dog!!! Honestly I would not have even known that was the same dog!!!!

I'm so happy to hear that things are going so well for her in your home!!

Congratulations on being a doggie mommy again!!!!!

PS--who is the trainer you are using?
(just curious)

RobiLee
10-19-2004, 11:27 PM
OH OH OH!!!!! I'm speechless! Sequoia is beautiful! I am in love with her. Wow, I'm just so happy for you both. I'm so glad that she has a wonderful home with you. What a great story!

I can't wait to see more pics of her! Please share her with us often ;)

Robin :)

lute
10-19-2004, 11:28 PM
OMD! she's beautiful! she landed in a prime home!:D

wolf_Q
10-19-2004, 11:38 PM
Oh my she is GORGEOUS!!!! I just loved the photos, what a pretty girl!

captain
10-20-2004, 12:03 AM
OMGoodness - isn't she simply gorgeous!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!!:D

shais_mom
10-20-2004, 12:30 AM
she is gorgeous!!
Congratulations on your new additionS!

Denyce
10-20-2004, 07:15 AM
Hi Emily! Yes we kept her. Doesn't she look different?!?! We are going to use John Jones. From what I have heard everyone just raves about him and he watched her at a couple of the socials. We then took her to him for a longer talk and evaluation. He has worked with some truly aggressive dogs so I have high hopes. It would be nice if we could have everyone in the living room at the same time.

Thanks everyone for your comments. *blush* She certainly isn't the dog we thought we wanted. But I think we all really need each other.

Denyce

pitc9
10-20-2004, 07:30 AM
What a wonderful Story and wonderful pictures!

Oh Those eyes... just make my heart melt!!!

lovemyshiba
10-20-2004, 07:48 AM
Good choice.
From what I have heard he is the absolute best.

I have a friend who is using him to train her GSD right now--Stella's just a puppy, so it's just basic obedience, but I know he has worked miracles in the past. My neighbors used him also with their dog.

Yes, she does look different!!!!

Good luck with the training--who knows, maybe you all will be in the living room together in the near future!!!!
:)

EssTer
10-20-2004, 12:40 PM
:eek: OMG.. she's SOOOO beautiful.. I just wanna steal her :)

swimma253
10-20-2004, 04:27 PM
Oh WOW!!!! She is just gorgEoUS!!! :D:D:D What a beautiful girl! :D Beautiful name also!

BitsyNaceyDog
10-20-2004, 04:41 PM
She is so beautiful:) Those blue eyes are to die for.

LorraineO
10-20-2004, 04:51 PM
shes truly a stunner!! wow,,, and those beautiful eyes... sighhhh