PDA

View Full Version : Is a white's tree frog a good pet?

guineapiggie13
10-19-2004, 03:35 PM
I am wondering if a white's tree frog is an easy-to-keep pet and if it is not too much high maintnence. I know that they are hardy frogs which is why I am wondering if I should get one. :)

CathyBogart
10-20-2004, 01:49 PM
A good pet in what sense? They're pretty easy to maintain and keep happy.

guineapiggie13
10-20-2004, 03:47 PM
A good pet in which does not bite and can be held. It does not really matter to me though if it is not active. Also if they are not too expensive for their food, tank, etc. :)

CathyBogart
10-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Really, you don't want to handle any frogs if it can be avoided. White's Tree frogs tolerate it a bit better then most frogs, and most of them are mellow-tempered, but you still want to keep handling to a minimum.

They need a BIG tank. For one, I would recommend a 20 gallon at least, but a 30 is really preferable to allow then free range of movement. The need a lamp, and if your area gets cold in the winter, an under-tank heater. (Preferably placed under their large water dish, so that they have a warm bath to go into on cold days. These frogs also do much better under a UV lamp as well as a heat bulb, so I would strongly recommend getting both.

They need to stay above 65 at night, but the nighttime temp isn't very crucial. Daytime temps should be 80-85, with plenty of humidity and available water for soaking. Make sure there is a temperature gradient, with 80-85 being on the warm side of the tank. (Temps on the cool side aren't very important, but they should definitely be cooler than on the warm side)

For substrate, I really would recommend damp paper towels changed daily, but most people prefer to use bed-a-beast or similar. Make sure whatever bedding you use can be easily passed through its system (NO BARK). Check the substrate frequently to make sure no bacteria or bugs are growing in it. Spot-clean every time it poops and thoroughly clean probably monthly.

Please keep in mind that it is not uncommon for these frogs to live to fifteen or even twenty years!

Crickets fed to White's Tree frogs should be gut-loaded on calcium rich vegetables for two or three days before feeding to the frog. An occasional pinkie helps keep weight up and add variety to the diet, but I wouldn't recommend it more than every few weeks, they're fattening! You can also try silkworms, butterworms, waxworms (Caution: also very fattening) and a variety of other soft-skinned bugs. I don't recommend mealworms as their shell can be tough to digest.

Hmm....I think that covers the basics pretty well. I'll come back if I remember anything I forgot. Anything else you want to know about the little critters?

CathyBogart
10-20-2004, 05:27 PM
Lessee....Price list... (Most of this is off of Petco's website, just trying to get general prices...)

ZooMed under tank heater $19.99

ESU UV lamp (I don't really care for this brand for most reptiles, but I think it would be OK for a White's) $26.99

Hagen 60watt heat bulb $9.99

2 fixtures $9.99/ea

Climbing branches: variable, maybe around $30

30gallon tank $65

So....looks like a basic setup would run about $169....Not bad for a reptile setup!! Bed-a-beast bedding would probably be around $5 more, plus you'd want a big water dish and probably something to keep the crickets in,,,but there's the basics! :)

Aspen and Misty
10-20-2004, 06:13 PM
A frog doesn't sound like the kind of pet you want. They can get very stressed out and shouldn't be handled.

Ashley

guineapiggie13
10-20-2004, 06:54 PM
Thank you everyone for your great help with info. So if I shouldn't get a frog, what other reptiles are good for beginners?

guineapiggie13
10-20-2004, 07:47 PM
Oh, and plus the total cost was $169 american, so imagine how much it is in Canadian currency! From reading other info sites, it seems that a White's tree frog is hardy and pretty easy to maintain, but the info from everybody here seems like it is not the pet for me. but, again great help :D

CathyBogart
10-20-2004, 08:09 PM
Leopard Geckos, Schneider's Skinks, Emerald Swifts (skittish, but they don't bite), Collared lizards, uh...I'll think of some more!

forums.kingsnake.com