PDA

View Full Version : This morning's "show" by a hawk

Logan
10-19-2004, 12:55 PM
I needed to return a phone call, a little while ago, and ended up using my cell phone and stepping outside because my Cockatiels were being so noisy in the office. I sat down on the front porch steps to talk with the lady, and I saw a HUGE hawk swoop down in front of me, and he dropped a squirrel in the front yard! :eek: (Thank goodness I didn't yell in the phone, but at least I think she would have understood because her dog was barking in the background) Poor squirrel has gone to the Rainbow Bridge, but now it makes me wonder if I've been blaming Butter unnecessarily for the dead squirrels we've found the last couple of weeks. :o If so, I'm making a public apology to Buttercup right now. I wondered, at the time, why that hawk dropped him after the effort of catching him? But when I just went back to look in the yard, the squirrel is gone, so he must have just slipped out of his grasp. I know Butter isn't to blame because he's asleep on a chair, right beside me. Good boy!

Logan

popcornbird
10-19-2004, 02:44 PM
How scary!!! A few months ago, I saw a huge hawk swoop down into our backyard, pick up a little sparrow, and soar back into the sky with it. It was amazing, but scary at the same time. I'm REALLY careful about taking my tiels out now. Can't take any risks.

We knew Butter was innocent all along. ;)

tatsxxx11
10-19-2004, 02:45 PM
Oh my gosh Logan. How scary! That happened to me this summer. A red tailed hawk swooped down out of no where and grabbed a mouse in the thick of the brush!!! I think they're magnificent creatures, but re: small, domesticated critters, they scare the heck out of me:( I had the pigs out the other day in the garden and was watching them like a hawk, so afraid one would swoop down and carry her off! Hope the squirrel is ok; or maybe the hawk came back for it?:( Poor Butter, it wasn't you, was it sweet boy! I wouldn't doubt it Logan!

Logan
10-19-2004, 03:01 PM
The squirrel is not ok, Sandra. :( He was dead, for sure, but the hawk, obviously came back to get him, later. :(

I'm completely understanding of your hovering over those piggies (watching them like a "hawk"). You too, with Popcorn and Muffin, Popcornbird! I would be that way too!! This was a full grown squirrel that he had this morning. As beautiful as the hawk was to see, I was sad to see that yet another squirrel lost its life. :(

Did I tell you that Lilly brought one to the door in her mouth the other night? YUCK!!!!!!!!

K9soul
10-19-2004, 04:26 PM
I know I've posted this before (awhile back) but this is the hawk that staked out a spot at the bird feeders last year at the start of winter :eek: She came for several days off and on watching the feeders. She's a northern harrier hawk (sorry for the uncropped pic):

http://www.doordolt.com/jess/firstsnow/hawkclear.jpg