PDA

View Full Version : Feed cat tuna or chicken - bad for them??

cruisetime
10-19-2004, 10:19 AM
I opened a can of tuna fish last night to mix up and have for dinner - my cat jumps from where ever she is and comes running to stand at my feet and meow real loud like I'm hurting her! She wants some now!!!! So - is it bad to give them a few little pieces of plain tuna from the can? Or grilled chicken without spice??? These seem to be the only things we have eaten since getting her 2 weeks ago that she is interested in. She will investigate everything but has only gone nutto for the chicken and tuna.. Is it really bad for them???? Thank you - I feel guilty for giving her a little and I feel guilty if I don't - HELP!! Debbie

DJFyrewolf36
10-19-2004, 10:25 AM
I give Remus a bit of tuna or chicken as a treat. So long as it's plain, it doesn't seem to bother him. (He did get a little sick when he ate half a can of tuna, nawtee cat!) The key is moderation. Too much can be bad! Make sure though that if you give your kitty some tuna or chicken, you don't leave any unnatended! Cats have this habbit of scarfing lol

mina'smomma
10-19-2004, 10:30 AM
I was wondering the same thing. Mina always wants to eat the same things as my fiance and myself

cruisetime
10-19-2004, 10:31 AM
I had heard someone else say that their cat did this but I was surprised when I saw mine up on the counter and halfway in the sink by the garbage disposal where I had rinsed the cans out. I immediately washed the sink and put soap down the disposal to get rid of the tuna and the smell - I usually do this anyway but had walked away for only a minute! You should have seen the guilty look on her face posed halfway in the sink - if only my eyes could take pictures in those split seconds! :) The other day she got in the towel cabinet under the sink when I was at the sink and didn't know it - I feel the door on the cabinet hit my leg and I open it and there's this little masked face peeking out at me - so cute!!!!! :) By the way I had fed some tuna too her - not much but she acted like she was starving! She had dry food out too at that point so I know she wasnt' really hungry..... SPOILT KITTY! Debbie

DJFyrewolf36
10-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Remus has a habit of apearing in places I don't expect him to (especially if it involves food)! Once, my roomate shut him in the refrigorator! He must have snuck in, we didn't even see him. About 10 min later I'm like "Its too quiet, where's the cat?" Glad I went for a soda while I was looking for him! He was a bit :mad: but ok. Silly kitty!

moosmom
10-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Once, my roomate shut him in the refrigorator! He must have snuck in, we didn't even see him. About 10 min later I'm like "Its too quiet, where's the cat?" Glad I went for a soda while I was looking for him! He was a bit but ok. Silly kitty!

Good thing Remus has a fur coat!!! Silly cat! :D :D

cruisetime
10-19-2004, 10:45 AM
"Meka" my cat really scared my this weekend at the trailer. She got behind the couch in the RV and it is a very small opening and about 2-1/2 feet down. (no way to really get back there either) She fell (it looked like) back there while on top of the couch and I got so scared because the opening is only about 3 inches wide and I thought there was no way I could get her out - my arm barely fit and not sure I could reach her. I kept looking down at her scared to death and she would jump up at my hands. I finally calmed down enough to realize it looked like she was playing. So I relaxed on the couch to see what would happen (she was a stray so I thought maybe she could get out on her own but I couldnt' see how) sure enough - she popps back over the couch and looks at me like I spoiled her fun!!!! I learning! :) Debbie

catmandu
10-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Not according,to The Found Cats!

catmandu
10-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Actually,if you feed Tuna,as a snack,it is all right! But ground chicken,is all right,My Friend,who brreds Siamese Cats,makes thier dinners all the time,from Ground Chicken,and Beef,as long,as it is thoroughly cooked!

RICHARD
10-20-2004, 12:17 PM
If you teach then to use the can opener you don't have to put up with that behavior.

;)

momoffuzzyfaces
10-20-2004, 12:51 PM
I can't have a tuna sandwich (or tuna casserole or tuna anything) unless I share with my 4. They get the tuna water and just a small bite of tuna. We don't have it very often though.
Not NEAR as often as the cats would like.:D

catnapper
10-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Its ok as a treat, but not if its all you're going to feed your kitty - it doesn't have all the nutrients they need.

I have never had my boys show any interest in tuna. I once tried to give Allen a shrimp - a whole shrimp! - and he looked at me as if I was trying to poison him. He's a chicken and ham kinda guy! :D