PDA

View Full Version : Rambling

Glacier
10-19-2004, 12:03 AM
So after the past week of storms, vet trips, more vet trips, hurt dogs, fallen down fences, on top of all the usual critter stuff--scooping litter boxes, cleaning the dog yard, chopping up pounds of meat and carrying gallons of water ect...I was not a happy camper and was thinking today that life could be so much simpler--if I didn't have to have 3 different kinds of litter just so all the cats would use a box; if I didn't have a dog aggressive dog so I wouldn't have to worry about the others getting too close to Kayleigh; if I had nice, well adjusted dogs, a bunch of Earle clones instead of a bunch of timid boys; how much more money I'd have without the vet bills, the food bills. Why do I know how to use an axe to hack up moose meat and why did I spend my weekend learning how to use a chainsaw to clear fallen trees? Kinda wallowing in self-pity....So I gave myself the night off, just the basics were going to get done around here.

So I am laying on the futon, watching mindless tv, when I realize that right behind me, nestle against my knees is a sled dog. 20 months ago, Pingo was afraid of the door, not housetrained, had never been in a building, and no way was she going to cuddle with someone. She would go completely tense if I tried to hug her at first. She didn't know what toys were and tonight between her little paws is stuffed cow that she carries everywhere with her. She knew nothing except working and the small area around her dog house. (and she came from a good, gentle musher)

Beside me snuggled right against my cheek, softly snoring was Chum. A young husky cross who at one time, not so long ago, was destined for death. His crime--he growls alot, about everything. It's just how he talks and communicates. He's not aggressive. He's never bitten, but in the shelter environment, he was labelled unadoptable. All he really needed was a place to relax.

On the other side of my head, an almost 15 year old cat purrs like an outboard motor. A sweet, snuggly ball of fur who was dumped at 13 by an owner who just couldn't be bothered anymore. Little Felicia, the handicapped kitten, stages a flying leap off the couch and on to the bookshelf; defying gravity and the experts who said she wouldn't survive.

Out in the yard, Ozzy follows me around licking my hands, a dog who four months ago ran, barking his head off if I tried to pet him. Kayleigh, who is dog aggressive, flops on her back for a quick belly rub before she eats her dinner. Goldie even with her wounds bounces while she waits for her meal. Preacher barks at the other dogs, even though he can't see them anymore. His tail is still held high, his ears erect and he still tries to guard his home the best he can. Pacer sleeps curled up in the porch having forgotten the jerk who filled his back end with bb pellets. Hobo runs around the big yard like a tasmanian devil. You'd never know he was almost wolf bait 8 months ago.

And as I laid there, surrounded by fur and watching even more furballs out the windows, I felt a sense of peace return. I remembered why they are all here and that no matter what, I wouldn't give up a single one of them. Cuz in the long run, it's all worth it and heaven knows I'd just waste the extra money anyway!

robinh
10-19-2004, 08:07 AM
That is not called rambling. That is a beautiful tribute. They words resulting from a full life filled with wonderful animals who love unconditionally. You are a good person and it shows in your caring attitude towards your family.

I will tell you your words brought me to tears. Thank you for making me see your animals clearly in my minds eye.

mruffruff
10-19-2004, 11:55 AM
A beautiful tribute! Brought tears to my eyes, too.

Sometimes we just have to back off for a while to see what we're really doing. And what a great job YOU are doing!

Mary

LorraineO
10-19-2004, 12:07 PM
Thank you G,, you just put everything into perspective for me too today,,, i was having a bad day with my 2 and was about to pull out my hair,,, but after reading your email,,, well gee,,,,,

We got ourselves a lil piece of heaven dont we??
:)

pitc9
10-19-2004, 12:14 PM
That was wonderful! Like robinh said, that was NOT rambling at all!! I felt like I was reading a book or somthing... just wonderful!

Some people here may not understand because they have perfect dogs, but for those of us here that have troubled dogs... I'm sure (like I did) they all will stop for a second and realize we are not alone in our forever battle to help our dogs overcome the horrible past they've had.

You have brighten my day, and I'm sure many others as well.

As much as we love our "troubled" dogs, they do once in a while take us to the end of our ropes, and that's when we need to do what you just wrote about. Take a step back, and enjoy them, instead of working with them, and training them, and trying to change them, just embrace them (if they will let you:) )