PDA

View Full Version : I'm considering to get a dog of my own..

CountryWolf07
10-17-2004, 03:31 PM
For some reason, I've been thinking a lot lately. I am considering to get my own dog soon, possibly.

But I have no idea right now.

Why am I feeling this way? I don't know. It's just lately, I just missed being around puppies.

Stupid. Stupid. I went to a pet store, and I saw a dachsund, and it looked just like Claire, it was a dapple doxie. She was georgeous. 5 months old. So I asked to hold her, play with her, and for some reason, I felt this connection to her. She was smart, too. She kept bringing the ball back to me. :)

Shoot. I am just getting my hopes too high.

Amber
10-17-2004, 05:16 PM
Oh, I remember/know how you feel! I felt like that before I got Elvis. It's hard to deal with, because it's all you think about!

hopfully soon, you can get a new pup. :)

CountryWolf07
10-17-2004, 05:26 PM
I honestly think it will be an interesting experience. We'll see. I will have to get approval from my parents.. LOL.

Amber
10-17-2004, 05:39 PM
approvals are the hardest part!

good luck! :p

Karen
10-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Oh, dear. Before you adopt a dog from a Pet Store, ask where they get their pups. If they say "From a breeder," ask if you can get the breeder's contact info so you can see the parents. If they say "no, the parents aren't local" or "No, we get them through a broker" or any other "No," they are probably puppy mills dogs. As sweet as that chihuahua is, you do NOT want top support those horrible places, right?

If you continue with it, ask if you can take the pup to a vet before making any commitment. If they say "she's just been to a vet," ask to see her records. Again, if they balk ...

Sorry to put a damper on it. Go on Petfinder - I'm sure there are lots of needy pups in shelters!

DogLover9501
10-17-2004, 07:49 PM
I agree with Karen.

We got Wiggles from a pet store before I knew better, and I always hate telling people, Im glad we got her, but I do regret supporting puppy mills.

Wiggles also was never very healthy...

GoldenRetrLuver
10-17-2004, 07:51 PM
I also echo what Karen said. My aunt purchased two Pug puppies from a supposedly "responsible" pet store, and the puppies have had all sorts of eye problems, ear problems, etc.

I hope you do get another dog soon.. but hopefully not from a pet store.

bckrazy
10-18-2004, 02:00 AM
yep, totally agree with Karen!! I know you might be in love with the pup, but it is so much better in the long run for you and your family and all doggies in general, to just not purchase from pet stores... its only supporting the businesses, and encouraging them to produce more and more unhealthy/unhappy dogs. :( it is tough. Instead, look at rescue or try to find a reputable, private breeder.. the difference is that pet stores want money and could care less about those dogs, the thing I absolutely hate about pet stores and mills, is that they treat the pets like products!! like a t-shirt or something :mad:. I get sick when I drive by these stores and see the signs "Puppy Sale! Discounted!" it's like, insane to treat a living thing like they're disposable and material. good, private breeders want to produce great quality dogs with good temperaments and are not profit-driven. You know if you're adopting from a good place when they ask to screen your home and talk to your vet, just as a rule of thumb.

Also, if you aren't specifically wanting any breed of dog for a certain reason, rescue is always best! :D

CountryWolf07
10-18-2004, 11:18 AM
I decided.

Not going to get her. I guess I will wait after I am done with college. But I do know what exactly the type of dog I will be wanting to have. So, it's ok.

Sorry if I made you all mad about the pet store(s) issues. I just felt bad for the little pup, I just didn't want to see her not being adopted or anything.

Amber
10-18-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by CountryWolf07
I decided.

Not going to get her. I guess I will wait after I am done with college. But I do know what exactly the type of dog I will be wanting to have. So, it's ok.

Sorry if I made you all mad about the pet store(s) issues. I just felt bad for the little pup, I just didn't want to see her not being adopted or anything.

Aw, I wouldn't worry what other people say where to get your dog, but I hope when you do get your future pupyy get it where you feel is best. Even if its a pet store. :)

Kfamr
10-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Pet Store puppies come and go so much quicker than shelter dogs do. I'm sure you could find the perfect pooch in a shelter or rescue!

BitsyNaceyDog
10-18-2004, 03:58 PM
I was looking on pet finder and I found that Ohio has a dachshund rescue. I don't know how far it is from you. You can find out more about it here (http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/OH342.html).