PDA

View Full Version : To Educate Those Who Are Wondering About My Special Needs Kirby!

QueenScoopalot
10-17-2004, 10:36 AM
Kirby was born with a birth defect (due to genetics) called radial aplasia, which translates to absence of bone in the radial, or arm bone. This is the more severe form of this condition. My tiny Thumbelina has the much less pronounced version called radial hypoplasia, which is curvature of the radial bones, and a slight shortening. I first heard of these kitties via the grapevine, and because there was a particular Texas woman Vicki Speir who was breeding them, and doing the talk show curcuits showing off her mutated little cats. She dubbed them "Twisty Kats" a term I abhor! :mad: It makes me think of wringing out a wet towel. :rolleyes: Kirby's condition is caused by a mutation in the genes that are responsible for polydactyl cats (or double pawed). My first R/A kitty was Willy, a cat I adored, and miss terribly. :( Here's a link to Willy's story...http://www.catfamily.com/chkittyclub/pages/cat_family/jan/willy.htm
As many of you here on Pet Talk know, I have a weak spot for the handicats, and they are often euthanized in shelters, or die on the streets. Kirby was a shelter surrender several years ago, at a kill shelter that has since closed due to budget cuts. I had a good thing going there at the time, as they adopted out many of my cats and kittens, and also against shelter policies, if any of them came down with URI's or other problems, they called, and I came and brought them back here until they were better. They also smuggled out many cats and kittens slated for euthanasia, and I found them homes through other shelters. Kirby came in with three littermates, two that were normal, and a beatiful white kitten that looked just like my Sweet Pea. A volunteer took me out back to show them to me, and I spotted Kirby, and told the workers I wanted him and his sister as well. The comment I got back was "why would you want these deformed kittens, when there's so many healthy ones"? I told them about Willy, and showed them his photo which I carried everywhere. I heard nothing for several days, and then got a call asking me to come up there. I had no idea it was Kirby, all tested, neutered, microchipped etc! The vet that was also the shelter vet (Dr. Dunn) is my vet, and has treated many of my special needs kitties, so he had put in a good word for me! :D Kirby's sister was killed however as she had runny eyes! :( :mad: :( Big deal, they weren't infected, and Kirby has been incredibly healthy. I would have taken his sister in a heartbeat also, but it was too late for her. Kirby does have a bit of difficulty moving around, and has to balance himself on his hind legs (kangaroo style) to eat etc. His hind quarters are very well developed, and muscular, as he uses his hind legs to spring around. When he was still a kitten he managed to dislocate his hip. I took him to the vets, but as it was a free visit, I coudn't stay and wait for him. They would look at him when they had the time. By the time they looked Kirby over, his hip had popped back into the socket. :eek: He had it happen one other time a few weeks later, but it went back into the socket within an hour. No problems since! Kirby does stay in my bedroom, as there's no way he can navigate stairs without breaking his neck. I have lots of 'crash pads' arranged around the bed to cushion his jump from the bed. He has never missed the litterpan once. He's incredibly affectionate when I go to bed. He slams up against me, and gives me nose rubs, all the while I keep him balanced with a hand on his chest. He loves tummy rubs too! So that's my boy Kirby's story. ;) Feel free to ask any questions you'd like too.

catnapper
10-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Thank you for the information. I wish everyone had a bit education like this!

Laura's Babies
10-17-2004, 10:58 AM
I had to go read Willy's story too. He was beautiful!!! You sure worked on getting him for a long time.. Thank God you finally did!!
How long was he with you?

Kirby's story is just as touching now as it was the first time I heard it. Thank God these babies have people like you to give them the life they have or they would otherwise be PTS at those shelters or left out on the streets to die!! If it were not for the way I work, I would have a housefull of Kirby's, Amy's and and any that needed that "special place" to be!

catcrazylady
10-17-2004, 11:01 AM
No questions just a HUGE kiss to Kirby and a giant HUG to you!!!:)

QueenScoopalot
10-17-2004, 11:02 AM
An old, but interesting link regarding Vicki Speir's twisted thinking!
http://www.delmars.com/kitcats/twisted.htm Better yet, type the words "Twisty Kats" into your search engine, and there's numerous pages about this woman, and pictures of her purposely :mad: :mad: :mad: bred cats. :rolleyes:
Laura, Willy wasn't with me long enough. :( He was an older boy (age unknown) when I rescued him, and a toothless little old man when he left me suddenly for the R.B. :( He was the dearest cat ever. He'd lick my hand with his tongue, I'd rub it across his cheeks so he felt like he was washing himself. He was never dirty (with the exception of the day he was rescued), but he also had a very hard time washing his face due to the severely deformed little front legs. He'll always have a big place in my heart. :(

catmandu
10-17-2004, 12:35 PM
You,are OUR HERO,taking in,and helping those Poor Cats,that most people,would ignore,or put down,without a second thought! And you,will be Bleessed,a Billion Times,over,for the Good Work,that you are doing!

AmberLee
10-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Thank you. Hugs to Kirby.

catfamily
10-17-2004, 04:39 PM
Poor Willy almost lost all his spirit until you saved him.Thank God for Jan.Thank You Jan.
It really made me sick to see that site of twisted kitties for show and tell.That poor white kitty to have to see.I'm not good at sad pic's at ALL.Tears are hear for the night on me.:(

moosmom
10-17-2004, 06:50 PM
Jan,

That woman who in-bred those cats needs her gene pool filtered badly!!! Not only did she put those poor cats at risk, she also caused a furor by confusing people into thinking they were like Munchkin cats (like my little Shortie). I can ASSURE you they are NOTHING like these so called Twistie Cats. :mad:

I'm so glad you rescued Kirby. I see him in your signature and he looks like such a wonderful, loving little boy. His sister was killed because her eyes were runny???? :mad: :mad: Sounds like the situation at the Dearborn Animal Shelter with the ringworm situation, easily cured. :mad:

Girl, you and Leslie amaze me. Keep up the good work!

(((hugs)))

NKBurlington
10-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Thank you for posting this.

My questions have been answered and you are an angel!

leslie
10-22-2004, 11:40 PM
Thanks Moosmom! I was there at the first attempt to get Willie! In fact the initial call came to me and I asked jan to help me! Luckily, she got there first and got to deal with the asshole! Willie is one lucky boy, that is for sure! He was SO cute sitting up like a rabbit yet so sad because it is not right for cats to sit like that. He did seem comfortable but who are we to know for sure? Ya know?

moosmom
10-23-2004, 08:45 AM
Leslie,

Thanks for the clarification in your PM. Ya know, animals don't know they have limitations. I'm sure Kirby thinks he's normal in every way. Give him hugs and kisses for me. Great job! I hope the jerk doesn't have anymore animals at risk.

QueenScoopalot
10-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
Leslie,

Thanks for the clarification in your PM. Ya know, animals don't know they have limitations. I'm sure Willy thinks he's normal in every way. Give him hugs and kisses for me. Great job! I hope the jerk doesn't have anymore animals at risk.
Donna, My dear Williy is not here anylonger. He died suddenly earlier this year, and he's one cat I'll forever miss. He was probably elderly judging from his lack of teeth, and I cherish the all too short time I had with him. I will however hug& kiss Kirby for you. ;)

rg_girlca
10-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by catmandu
You,are OUR HERO,taking in,and helping those Poor Cats,that most people,would ignore,or put down,without a second thought! And you,will be Bleessed,a Billion Times,over,for the Good Work,that you are doing!

Couldn't agree with you more on this one Gary.

It takes a special person to care for these precious, special need cats and Jan, you are one special lady.

moosmom
10-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Jan,

Sorry about that. I edited my post and changed the name. I guess I was a little confused. Age does that to you!!!

RIP Willy. Give kisses and head butts to Lacie, Casey and Marina Mar.

luckies4me
10-23-2004, 03:29 PM
I fostered my friends Twisty for awhile. There is a post in Cat General somewhere if you search. He's such a doll. Here are a few pictures of him. Such a sweety! He was the first cat like this I have seen in person. I do have to admit I was shocked.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/luckies4me/cats/sitting.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/luckies4me/cats/legs3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/luckies4me/cats/legs2.jpg

QueenScoopalot
10-23-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
I fostered my friends Twisty for awhile. There is a post in Cat General somewhere if you search. He's such a doll. Here are a few pictures of him. Such a sweety! He was the first cat like this I have seen in person. I do have to admit I was shocked.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/luckies4me/cats/sitting.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/luckies4me/cats/legs3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/luckies4me/cats/legs2.jpg

THAT'S A BIG BOY!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: He looks like a sweetie, but then aren't most orange kitties? :D

luckies4me
10-23-2004, 06:09 PM
Yes! I love orangies! I was hiking the other day at Hendrick's park here in my town and there was an orange kitty that lived nearby who kept following us. He was such a cutie!

Laura's Babies
10-24-2004, 09:23 AM
Wow! That Orangie is a doll! Look how beautiful he is too!! He sure looks healthy and happy. What is his name? We need to see more of him around here and I would even like to hear his story. How old is he? How'd she come to get him? What is his personality like?

catfamily
10-24-2004, 09:56 AM
Beautiful and healthy looking.Too bad his arms are in pain but otherwise looks very happy and healthy.