PDA

View Full Version : What type of leash?

GraciesMommy
10-17-2004, 06:56 AM
Retractable

Non retractable

BitsyNaceyDog
10-17-2004, 07:16 AM
I have both kinds but usually use the retractable.

Cookiebaker
10-17-2004, 07:34 AM
Both! When we walk on the road, we use non-retractable on both dogs. But when we walk in the woods, Emerson doesn't wear a leash, and Malone is on a retractable (because he tends to run off :rolleyes: )

Cincy'sMom
10-17-2004, 08:11 AM
We have both, but I only use the retractable when I am walking one dog. Can you image trying to wrstle with 3? :eek:

DogLover9501
10-17-2004, 08:59 AM
Jasper has a non-retractable leash, all the time, and when we're in the woods he's off leash.

Piddle and Wiggles both have retractable leashes, because theyre easy to controll and they stay in on the side of the road.

sammy101
10-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Kodie is WAY to strong for a retractible leash,and he's not quite trained well enough to not pull,so he's never off leash except for the backyard,and he's always on a 5 foot regular leash when we go for walks,etc.:)

Kfamr
10-17-2004, 09:27 AM
I use Non-retractable. I don't trust the retractable.

Aspen and Misty
10-17-2004, 09:46 AM
I agree with Kay. I use Non-retractable I just don't trust the other kind. I feel like I have no controlle over my dog.

When we are in the woods we use a 25 and 35 foot long lead, that is Non-retractable. it gives them the room to roam and play and I don't have to worry about them getting hurt.

Ashley

Twisterdog
10-17-2004, 10:06 AM
Both. If I'm walking more than one dog, or walking with another person, I use non-retractable. When I'm walking one dog alone, I use retractable.

binka_nugget
10-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Both.

Because Kaedyn lunges, I use the non-retractable.

And for Kai, if we walk in the quiet streets, I use the retractable leash since he's good about not pulling on it. On busy streets though, I use the non-retractable since he tends to pull when he gets spooked out.

KYS
10-17-2004, 11:12 AM
I have both.
I use the retractable when we are in open areas
such as the park, and in traffic/public areas I use
a 6' leash. :)

lovemyshiba
10-17-2004, 11:22 AM
It's easier on me to use the non-retractable. I can wrap it around my wrist, and keep better control. My hands always hurt when I use the retractable. I usually have 2 at a time, and it is tough to use both retractable leads.

When we only had 2 dogs, we used to use the retractable ones all the time. In the winter, when we would be getting ready for walks, we would attach the leash, and then finish getting ready (boots, scarves, hats, gloves, etc). I used to laugh so hard at Abbey and Kito running around dragging the retractable leash behind them!!!

Amber
10-17-2004, 11:58 AM
We use the non-retractable kind.

GoldenRetrLuver
10-17-2004, 12:04 PM
We have both, but I rarely use the retractable kind.

Buddy Blaze Lover
10-17-2004, 01:22 PM
Both...though Blaze prefers the retractable so he can GOOO! lol, of course I keep him under control, but he's never bad about it. I use the tractable when I want to work with him on heeling, etc. He knows when the choke chain/collar comes out that it's time to work! ;)

bckrazy
10-17-2004, 02:21 PM
We always use non-retractable, usually leather leads because they last longer and don't give you rope burn ;). Rectractable doesn't really give you any control with big dogs. I have used the retractable when we go to the snow, or hiking or out where there aren't many people or dogs.

also.. I have a pet peeve. I *hate* it when people are walking their dogs on retractable leashes, and the dogs come running across the street at us (usually it freaks Gonzo out) and the owners are either struggling to stop the leash or just not paying attention :rolleyes: happens to us a lot.

dogs_4_me
10-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Non-retractable.

Emma is usually off leash if were in the park or the woods. If were just walking on the street I don't want to teach her she can run ahead, so we use a non-retractable one.

Moco can't go offleash because he would take off. We need to keep him on a short leash because we need to be careful when he is around kids, hes not always that friendly.

nea
10-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Both. Usually the non-retractable though. It gives way more control, and I don't feel like I have very good contact with Web when he's on the retractable lead. Also, I only use the retractable with his harness, as I don't want him to get used to the (slight) pressure on his collar that the retractable has. When I do use the retractable one, its when I'm to tired to be constantly watching and paying attention like I have to be when he's off-lead, and I don't feel like stopping every few feet so he can sniff and mark things.

MariaM
10-17-2004, 05:38 PM
I use a non-retractable one.

pitc9
10-18-2004, 07:47 AM
I have three non and one retractable. But I use the non retractable ones more.

cloverfdx
10-18-2004, 09:37 AM
I use both, although i dont trust Clover and Elvis on retracable leads in crowds of people and dogs. I use the retractable lead when we are in open onlead only areas. And normal leads at other times. Penny uses a retractable lead pretty much all the time.

Tina
10-18-2004, 04:30 PM
retractable... I use the non retractable every once in awhile. I don't really care for them though. I'm thinking of getting Junior a non retractable. He doesn't walk very well on the retractable leash.

QueenChyna
10-18-2004, 05:55 PM
I would usually use non-retractable because Hanson is strong and I used to have a retactable one but it broke when Hanson and I were Hunting! it was funny!

caseysmom
10-18-2004, 06:26 PM
Casey broke 2 retractable within 1 month. She doesn't pull much either she is actually very good on the leash. So I don't trust the retractable if it happened while we were somewhere out it could have been bad.

By the way Casey got a new hot pink collar and leash this weekend and she now looks like a girl!

guster girl
10-18-2004, 08:04 PM
I use a nylon leash (about six feet long) with the extra handle near the dog. It works great, I don't like the retractable leashes.