PDA

View Full Version : Forum for Dog House Adults

dukedogsmom
10-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Some things have recently come up in the Dog House about things not being appropriate for the kids that visit the site. So, I've been thinking about setting up a forum for posting those things there. No one under 18 will be admitted and if I find out you lied about your age, you will be booted out immediately. I will not be responsible for contributing to a minor in any way. I also want to point out that this forum will in NO WAY be a place for bad mouthing anyone from PT. I appreciate some humor that is not appropriate for this site and thought it would be fun to have a place to share it. Also, anyone have any good ideas on which site to use to set it up? I've never done this before so I can't guarantee how good it will look. Must be user friendly. I've started a poll. Please vote and you can also send me a pm if you wish. I'm not trying to offend anyone here by suggesting this site. I'm just trying to find a way for all of us to enjoy it without others being offended.

guster girl
10-16-2004, 07:39 PM
Honestly, I think it's a great idea. But, I don't know that it will prevent things being posted in here that will be considered offensive by someone. People have very different ideas about what's considered appropriate for children, and, I just think, even if there was another site created, that there would still be issues here in the dog house. Just my thoughts.

Kfamr
10-16-2004, 07:44 PM
I'm sure there's already a lot of forums where people can share such humor.
I think ultimately, the decision of having a Pet Talk-related site is up to Karen & Paul... atleast from my experience of creating sites related to PT.

dogs_4_me
10-16-2004, 07:49 PM
I don't like the under 18 rule:p I don't get offended from the stuff that is said, that would be like seperating pt into kids and adults and i dont think that is right.

Also, if people want to have threads like that there are plenty of other forums on the internet. I dont think Pt should be one of them.

mugsy
10-16-2004, 07:51 PM
The other pet forum that I belong to is for adults only and I love it. But, I don't think it will ever happen here.

dukedogsmom
10-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Well mugsy, I may just have to follow you there. Would certainly be a lot easier.

Kfamr
10-16-2004, 08:01 PM
I just wanted to add, and you should know Val, that I have no problem with such humor... it's just not for Pet Talk and never has been.

dukedogsmom
10-16-2004, 08:03 PM
What does that mean?

lizzielou742
10-16-2004, 08:04 PM
Would it be affiliated with PT at all?

Kfamr
10-16-2004, 08:09 PM
She didn't say ANYTHING about banning kids from Pet Talk. She was talking about making a seperate forum.

Kfamr
10-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by dogs_4_me
Mugsy said " The other pet forum that I belong to is for adults only and I love it. But, I don't think it will ever happen here:

and then

dukedogsmom Well mugsy, I may just have to follow you there. Would certainly be a lot easier

I still don't see where she says anything about banning kids from Pet Talk.

guster girl
10-16-2004, 08:15 PM
Mugsy said " The other pet forum that I belong to is for adults only and I love it. But, I don't think it will ever happen here:

and then

dukedogsmom Well mugsy, I may just have to follow you there. Would certainly be a lot easier

I got where you were going with your comments about not wanting kids to be banned. But, really, I think you're safe here. ;) I don't see Karen and Paul blocking kids from here. I wouldn't sweat it if I were you. ;)

christa
10-16-2004, 08:15 PM
I think that the DogHouse should be for adults ONLY.

But, that's my opinion . . . I'm sure I'll get attacked by all the minors on here now. Sorry kids.

Kfamr
10-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by christa

But, that's my opinion . . . I'm sure I'll get attacked by all the minors on here now. Sorry kids.

Please don't think I'm attacking you or anything, but I have to disagree, and not just because i'm a minor.

I just think that it's good for us minors to be able to interact and see and share opinions with adults on subjects like the elections and different issues like that.

guster girl
10-16-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by christa

I'm not attacking you, and, I'm not a minor. ;) SO, it wouldn't affect me either way. But, I said this in the hooters thread, and, I'll see if I can say it in here too and make sense of what I am thinking. I have seen arguments arise in every forum in here where people are just mean to eachother. I don't think the topics in the dog house are the main problem, it's the way people treat eachother in all the forums. And, I think it's more damaging to young minds to see "grown ups" stoop to ridiculously low levels of communication than it is to see certain words typed on a screen. That's the way I feel about it, anyway. I don't think it would be fair (would it even be enforceable?) to ban teenagers from the dog house. And, that's not saying that some of the things the younger people say aren't absolute jibberish or completely inappropriate, but, no moreso than some of the things the adults type.

primabella
10-16-2004, 08:21 PM
I don't really mind if a forum is set up. If it won't be affiliated with Pet Talk in any way, then the rules and reason of existence is just up to its creator. If I'm not allowed in because I'm 17 and not 18, then its just like any other website on the Web that limits me from getting onto.

Maybe instead of having to set up an entirely new forum, the authors can just put some kind of warning in the thread title. Anyone who clicks on it, reads it and has a problem with it can basically blame themselves for allowing themselves to read it.

Actually, I think anyone who posts or reads the Dog House is expected to visit because they have reached a certain level of maturity, not a certain age.

christa
10-16-2004, 08:22 PM
OK, maybe so . . . how about the regular DogHouse and an Adult DogHouse . . . ;)

Any way it goes, someone's going to be dissatisfied. I'm fine with the way it is . . . but people have to remember that the DogHouse is exactly what it is . . . THE DOGHOUSE!!! Enter at your own risk! If you're offended, it's your own fault. You entered, you read . . . you can leave just as easily.

wolf_Q
10-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Well I voted for "I like pie" just because I found it amusing. :D

However I find it rather annoying that the suggestion of separating kids and adults on here comes up so much. When I joined here I would have been considered a "kid" (16) and now I would be considered an "adult" (20). Crude humor didn't offend me at that age and it doesn't now. But it's just not for this website as most of us already know. It's called PET Talk, it is where you come to talk about your pets. If you want a forum for adult humor then go find one, I'm sure there's plenty. If you want to create your own, then go ahead, but if it's not about pets it shouldn't be affiliated with Pet Talk.

As for me, I don't need a forum to see unappropriate humor...all I have to do is talk with friends on AIM. ;)

dukedogsmom
10-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Someone turned my words around. I meant following mugsy for the adult part of it. I said NOTHING about banning juveniles here. If you'll read the first thing I wrote in this, it was very diplomatic and non confrontational. If bickering continues in this one, I'll just delete it. I was just trying to find a fun place for the adults that wanted to hang out without worrying about offensive behaviour.

christa
10-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by primabella
. . . Anyone who clicks on it, reads it and has a problem with it can basically blame themselves for allowing thsemselves to read it. . . . Actually, I think anyone who posts or reads the Dog House is expected to visit because they have reached a certain level of maturity, not a certain age.

VERY well said!!! I TOTALLY agree with you primabella!

christa
10-16-2004, 08:26 PM
You know, guster girl is right . . . every single thread in the DogHouse seems to get twisted around at some point into an attack.

Hmm . . . what can we learn from this?

guster girl
10-16-2004, 08:36 PM
I will state this, though. I've seen a lot of people say that the dog house is an "enter and read at your own risk" kindof forum. which is true to an extent. But, I think the bigger point is that some topics aren't appropriate for certain ages, not necessarily that it's going to offend them, ya know? and, as far as this being a pet talk site, only for pets to be discussed, that's true for the dog, cat, and, pet forums. but, the general site is for just that: general topics, non pet related. I just hope it doesn't come down to Karen and Paul completely wiping that section out. Especially considering, as I've said already, these nasty arguments don't just break out in the dog house.

Mkitty
10-16-2004, 08:39 PM
I agree there should be an adult only forum, but I don't want to be kept outta the dog house. I try not to attack or bother anyone when I state my oppinion for example in the thread the presidential debates.

guster girl
10-16-2004, 08:40 PM
I'm not sweating it. Actually I was just expressing that I thought it was a dumb idea.

I didn't figure you would, I hope no one else does. I'd hate to see this thread deleted, because I think it could be a good idea for others who want an additional place to post opinions. ANd, yeah, there are other adult sites, but, I think the point is to keep the same cool group of Pet Talkers, ya know? ;) But, whatever happens, happens....it's all gravy, really.

guster girl
10-16-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Well I voted for "I like pie" just because I found it amusing. :D

I voted for that one, too! :)

Corinna
10-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Just a word remember it wasn't long ago that the dog house was added. We had to post "contraversal things in general. I think that any one who clicks on the dog house has to know it could be something which could be mature in nature. I have had a long time trouble with the age requirement some 13yr olds are mature but others well ... I think 15 should be the age for here. I realize that we do try to teach the niave ones about pets and there care but some how some one always twists it around and people get hurt. we are all here becouse we care and should remember it takes all kinds of spices to make a good soup.

Amber
10-16-2004, 09:15 PM
I like Liana's idea. Put a warning in the title, and if they click it and don't like...then its there fault because they clicked it.

I just don't wanna seperate PT people.

Nomilynn
10-16-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q

As for me, I don't need a forum to see unappropriate humor...all I have to do is talk with friends on AIM. ;)

:eek: I would certainly hope that I, in all my innocence, am not included in this category!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

ROFL.. ok I can't even say that with a straight face :p

I have never seen anything remain in the dog house that I thought was over the top and really offensive. Everything on this site is kept really clean.. how many other forums out there would have members ask other members to NOT use profanity?? On the internet no less!! I think we are all really lucky.

As for an adult only section on PT, I don't really agree with that as I think it would encourage some members to lie about their age and therefore set up an atmosphere of dishonesty from the start. However, I think if Val wants to start her own forum, then she should go for it and have fun with it :) Lots of PTers have started their own side forums to refocus on certain subjects, like the weight loss one, for example, and I thought it was a great idea.

Just my two cents. :)

Tonya
10-16-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Amber
I like Liana's idea. Put a warning in the title, and if they click it and don't like...then its there fault because they clicked it.

I just don't wanna seperate PT people.

I've always thought of the Dog House as the warning. I don't visit the dog house unless I am mentally prepared for what I may encounter. I can also understand how the younger ones may want to be involved in controversial subjects that aren't offensive. (Such as politics.)

So, the best solution that I can think of would be to have two dog houses or a compromise by putting warnings on the titles. Yet what is offensive to one may not be offensive to another. A dog house thread may start off as inoffensive and turn nasty real quick. No one will ever be satisfied.

*edit* P.S. I voted yes.

aly
10-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Call me crazy, but I liked it better when there was no Dog House. It just seems to encourage certain things that shouldn't be on PT (IMO) anyway.

I know, I know. Everyone is going to tell me I'm not forced to read the Dog House. The thing is that the content does not offend me, but I cringe when I imagine our younger members reading some of the stuff that certain people post :o (Not anyone who has posted in this thread)

Mkitty
10-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Yah I hardly go in the dog house forum. I agree with Liana's idea as well. We should talk to Karen about this. I go on certain threads in the dog house that I think are appropriate for my age. As for the adult's only forum, I was all for it, but liana's idea seems more appealing because kids aren't gonna stay out of the forum, I know, caus I am a kid.

Cookiebaker
10-17-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by aly
Call me crazy, but I liked it better when there was no Dog House. It just seems to encourage certain things that shouldn't be on PT (IMO) anyway.

I know, I know. Everyone is going to tell me I'm not forced to read the Dog House. The thing is that the content does not offend me, but I cringe when I imagine our younger members reading some of the stuff that certain people post :o (Not anyone who has posted in this thread)

Well said, Aly. That's exactly how I feel, too.

Cincy'sMom
10-17-2004, 07:45 AM
I think what has happened, is that many of us, whether kids or adults, have made good friends with people on the board. And as friendships grow, you want to shrare more then just about your pets...hence general, the dog house, etc.

And somestimes you get a joke or something that happens, that you think, man...some of the poeple on PT would love this...but it really isn't appropriate for everyone. So you can send out about of PM's or emails, or whatever, but you can't share easily with any.

So, Yes, I like the idea of a new place where PT adults can share more then can be said on PT. I think maybe the thing to do Val, imay be to go to msn, or somewhere that you can start your own chat board, and then let people who are intersted know where it is and we can join there. The only link to PT will be that people from PT have joined another board.

Does that all ake any sense?!?

cloverfdx
10-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Good idea Val :D. Cincy'sMom, that was very well said.

DJFyrewolf36
10-18-2004, 01:18 PM
What? I do like pie....:D

I am offended by very little, if anything at all. I guess thats why people get so irritated by me. I post something that I don't find offensive and forget that not everyone cares so little about the world.

Ooops, my bad. :p

Maybe Im a bit jaded who knows, but I never grew up with "parental control" either. If I saw something of an "adult" nature, my mom would just shrug and ask if I understood ALL the naughty parts ;) If I didn't she would explain them to me lol.

Then again this is coming from the person who watched Nightmare on Elm Street movies at 6 years old.

My mom was such a horrid parent (NOT) I'm happy I don't have hang ups like some people I know.

To answer your question...

Don't be so hypersensitive about hypersensitivity

I think everyone needs to take a chill pill :)

(Now I must proceed to brace myself for the flaming Im sure is going to ensue :) )

Flame away, Im not offended :D

lovemyshiba
10-18-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36

Then again this is coming from the person who watched Nightmare on Elm Street movies at 6 years old.

I watched that movie when I was very young as well--I don't remember how old, but I could not have been older than 8 or 9.

My aunt was babysitting us, and we watched it--we all laughed at it:D :D

aly
10-18-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
I watched that movie when I was very young as well--I don't remember how old, but I could not have been older than 8 or 9.

I watched that movie too, along with the Halloween movie, when I was about 6 or 7. I was at a friend's house and it TERRIFIED me! After that I was GLAD when my parents didn't let me watch stuff because I knew they had their reasons. Even Ghostbusters scared me to death though and my mom still feels guilty about letting me watch it.

Tonya
10-18-2004, 03:53 PM
I won't let my son watch violent or scary movies that are fiction, but I will let him watch a violent movie if it is history. He is very interested in history and I think it's good for him to learn about it as long as he doesn't get traumatized. He's watch a few gory war movies in his time.

christa
10-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Flame away, Im not offended :D [/B]

No flaming here! I totally agree.

DJFyrewolf36
10-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba

Thanks Christa!

LOL I remember very distinctly laughing at the Nightmare on Elm street movie with my brother hehe. Whats wierd is those types of movies make me laugh but I watch a movie like The Others and I get freaked out.

christa
10-18-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
Thanks Christa!

LOL I remember very distinctly laughing at the Nightmare on Elm street movie with my brother hehe. Whats wierd is those types of movies make me laugh but I watch a movie like The Others and I get freaked out.

No prob.

I watched those Freddy movies when I was a kid . . . scared the life out of me!!! But I think I'm pretty normal now ;) Didn't completely scar me . . . me and my husband watched EVERY Freddy movie made before Freddy VS. Jason came into theaters. Dude, those are some cheesy movies!!! Funny how far they've come! I love scary movies now!!! Looks like there will be some good ones coming out next month!!!

doggylovr6
10-18-2004, 09:54 PM
well, the kids will get in!! duh!! and even if they dont, dont you think that its sorta dumb. i meen,, whats rong with kids and adults. but w/e

flamepony12
10-18-2004, 10:35 PM
well, I'm 14, and this is my opinion: you can tell kids that they can't post in that forum, but that won't stop them from looking at it. Unless Karen and Paul make it so that people under 18 can't view it.

BTW I voted for I like pie too. :p

dukedogsmom
10-19-2004, 06:34 AM
As I mentioned at the very first of this, it wouldn't even be here! No need getting all upset about not being able to be in the dog house.So, no more drama, please. The only thing PT related would be the adults from here. I'd much rather have a board where I already know people. By the way, I went ahead and created on on MSN. If you're an adult and you're interested, pm me.

RICHARD
10-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
If you're an adult and you're interested, pm me.

Can immature adults join??

Hint, hint!!!;)

dukedogsmom
10-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Hey, as long as the digits are right, yes. I'm sure you'll find a way to liven up the place :p

BCBlondie
10-19-2004, 12:39 PM
I voted Yes. I think it's a good idea...
Or maybe like other people mentioned - Add a Warning or make a new DogHouse that will be adult only.
I also agree with Liana and Aly.
Also, most people (kids especially) come to PT to talk about their pets, and don't really care for politics and that kind of stuff. At least when I was a kid, I didn't care about politics and other things that are mentioned here in the DogHouse. So personally, I don't see a problem making an age limit to the DogHouse. But it could go either way... there is freedom of speech, and maybe someone under 18 has something good to say about a subject, but there are also topics that may be inappropriate for people under 18.

Or maybe I should have just stopped at "I voted Yes." :p