PDA

View Full Version : Weight Watchers

Uabassoon
10-16-2004, 06:02 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this program before and what you thought of it. I'm thinking about trying it out and going to a meeting on Monday to start the program. I've never really been good at diets, Itried losing weight recently. I lost about 10 pounds, but I really can't seem to lose anymore and I would really like to. So if you have any opionions on this program please let me know. Or if you know of any other good programs that are within the same price range ($25 to start then $12 a week) I'd be interested to hear about it.

AmberLee
10-16-2004, 06:19 PM
I'm currently on WW and like it a lot. At this time I'm not losing, but I'm not gaining either. I'm still dealing with the aftermath of my friend's suicide, getting laid off, and a couple other challenges that would normally have me gaining like crazy. Soooo I'm budgetting WW as a 'keeper' through the coming challenges.

It has you examine your eating and exercise habits and suggests/ recommends healthier alternatives. I also love the WW forums and am getting TONS of recipe ideas, etc. there.

If you'd like to look around there, see WW Forums (http://www.weightwatchers.com/community/index.aspx) -- some forums (fora?) are friendlier than others. I mainly hang out in the 'Nifty Fifties' (yeah, WAY too old for you) and the 'Recipe Review Board' -- YUM. But different strokes for different folks, as the saying goes.

A little trick: if you go abroad, there is a link at the absolute bottom of the page that takes you to the WW INTERNATIONAL website. I've tried other country's forums and some of the advice and gotten some inspiration.

Whatever you decide, GOOD LUCK and {{{Hugs}}} as you challenge yourself to improve your health and spirits.

Amber
10-16-2004, 06:34 PM
I'm not sure about weight watchers, but my mom used to go to Curves. She really seemed to like it, but im not sure about how much it costed.

good luck!

moosmom
10-16-2004, 07:43 PM
WW is a wonderful program! My daughter lost over 40 lbs on it and has kept it off for 3 years. I swear by it. It's the only program I know that works well. You can eat out, make your own meals (I bought one of the cookbooks and love it!!). Go for it girl!!

AmberLee,

There comes a time on WW when you reach a plateau and don't lose or gain. Just keep on it and eventually you WILL start losing again.

Uabassoon
10-16-2004, 08:25 PM
AmberLee thanks for the link, I checked it out and it seemed really good. I'll have to revisit it Monday after my first meeting. But it was nice to look at some of the posts and just sort of get more of an idea about the program.

AmberLee
10-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
...There comes a time on WW when you reach a plateau and don't lose or gain. Just keep on it and eventually you WILL start losing again.

{{{Donna}}},

Thanks. I do tend to gain like crazy in stressful situations and most of 2004 has been a bear. I'm considering WW a success in that I've only gained a little and that I'm improving my health in other ways: I participated in a walk-athon for Easter Seals in August, and am doing more walking for fun and for some of my hobbies. But I do appreciate your concern and support.

carole
10-16-2004, 09:58 PM
I am a very experienced WEIGHT WATCHER, it is the ONLY programme I would ever contemplate doing to loose weight.

It is wonderful, and you will enjoy the flexibility it gives you, I have been very successful with this programme, and it is not the programme that lets you down, unfortunatley its ourselves.

I am one of those people, who gain and loose all the time, and I too need to re-join, I have done the programme by myself and lost twenty pounds, but it is easier with the support and besides you get all the booklets etc.

SO GO FOR IT you won't regret your decision, let us know how you do? GOOD LUCK, it is a programme you can do for life, BE WARNED though donot make the mistake I did and leave before you learn how to maintain your weight, I never learned it and I am paying the price, and yoe-yoe dieting as I have done is very bad for your health, I still hope to loose my weight by myself and then re-join to loose the last bit and do my maintainence.

NoahsMommy
10-16-2004, 10:18 PM
My good friend is on Weight Watchers online. She says its a bit hard, but I think she used to eating whatever she wants (like most people). Its a good program and teaches a healthy lifestyle, you can't go wrong with that. :)

Nomilynn
10-16-2004, 10:56 PM
I was doing it for a while. I lost 15lbs in about 6 weeks. Like Amberlee, I've had a lot of stress going on in my life so I haven't been following it carefully but I haven't gained anything back, and I'm much more careful about WHAT I eat. Although I haven't gained any back according to the scale, my body is still changing shape and all my clothes are too big :p I say give it a try :) It could really work for you :)

Tonya
10-16-2004, 11:02 PM
I have never tried WW, but every person that I've known has stuck to it and kept the weight off. It sounds like the safest and most long term solution.

AmberLee
10-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
...my body is still changing shape and all my clothes are too big ... It could really work for you :)

1) Excellent sign and 2) I agree!

Uabassoon
10-25-2004, 11:04 PM
I just wanted to bump this up and say thank you to everyone. Amberlee thank you so much for the link to that website. I've been going there everyday to chat and get some tips and advice. Tonight I went to my second meeting and I lost 4.5 pounds! Hopefully I can stick with it and lose a few more.

Killearn Kitties
10-26-2004, 05:24 AM
Congratulations!! It feels great when they confirm that you have lost a few pounds! I used their program a number of years ago and it was great. It's a very healthy program, with sensible eating, part of the aim being to "re-educate" your eating habits.

I think perhaps my eating habits have forgotten what they learned before because, frankly, at the moment I could do with going back. :D I'm going to have a look at that link, it might be just the push I need.

AmberLee
10-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
...I went to my second meeting and I lost 4.5 pounds! Hopefully I can stick with it and lose a few more.

:D :D Yippee! Wahoo! Good for you!

catland
10-26-2004, 03:52 PM
I signed up for their on-line version last January and have lost 30 pounds so far. I am ecstatic!!! Best thing for me is not having to shop in the plus-size department anymore.:D

My real education was with portion sizes. Its a real eye opener to get used to what a real portion should be. Also, with their flex-plan program, you are actually allowed to go out with friends for a night out of beer and pizza if you want, and still be staying on the program. But all in all, I choose not to eat much junk food anymore - it really isn't appealing.

I'm probably not what you would call an uber-Weight Watcher - I could certainly exercise more - but whats really important is that Im changing my outlook on food so that once I get to goal, I can keep the weight off.

Congratulations on making the commitement and good luck to you.
:D :D

carole
10-26-2004, 05:56 PM
That really is a great effort, you should be so darn proud of yourself, I am currently doing WW at home by myself, and its hard slogger, so any support you can offer me , i would appreciate the help, and i too can help you any way I can.:)

I almost consider myself a pro at WW these days lol.;) :D

Pam
10-26-2004, 06:02 PM
The mother of one of my daughter's childhood friends was on it and I didn't know it. I hadn't seen this woman in ages and one day drove by her house and she was outside and I thought it was her daughter. She had lost 100 lbs.! It took her a couple of years but she told me she is still in a maintenance program and has not put any of it back on. She looks and feels wonderful. :) Good luck to you! I think if I was to go on a program this is the one I would choose!

teenster3
10-27-2004, 08:00 PM
Oooooo....
I'm so glad someone asked about Weight Watchers!
I've been looking for a weight loss plan myself. I've tried several things to loose weight including taking pills which NEVER helped. I joined Curves a few years ago but hated it. I didn't like the idea of having to stay in a circle & only be on a machine 5 minutes at a time. You had to listen to their crappy music & stay in the circle like you were in grade school again or something. NO.....this just wasn't for me but a lot of women like it.
I've also looked into places like Princeton Club & YWCA but their fees are quite high & Princeton Club just raised their's. I'd like to loose a good 80 lbs. but if I can just get off 40 lbs. I'd be happier.
I just don't know how we gain the weight!
I thought I looked much nicer in school & now only 29 & I feel like I must have failed somewhere.
Maybe that's also why I'm hardly in good spirits, I just don't feel pretty or happy with myself.
Oh LIFE......why does it have to be so difficult?!:p
Tina

AmberLee
11-06-2004, 01:38 AM
Tina,

Exercise can improve your physical and emotional states. If you don't like/afford gym fees what about trying some at home exercise videos/DVDs? You can rent them rather cheaply and some libraries have them VERY reasonable fees. (I like to try them before I buy them, and you might, too.)

Regards,
Amber L.