PDA

View Full Version : Do you have braces/have you had them?

Buddy Blaze Lover
10-16-2004, 01:54 PM
Not to take away from Andrea's thread, :D but I'd also like to see how many people have or have had braces. I had them for a little over a year, and I was glad to get them off! :D

Kfamr
10-16-2004, 02:01 PM
None of the options fit for me.

Mine would be "No, don't have the money"

swimma253
10-16-2004, 02:04 PM
I dont have them but my sister does. I think I will be getting them in the future. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Kfamr

I can totally understand that. They are like 4 to 5,000 bucks!

dogs_4_me
10-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Nope I don't need them.:D

lizzielou742
10-16-2004, 02:10 PM
I had awful teeth as a kid. I had braces and mouth appliances for years. A lip bumper, a wire going across the roof of my mouth connecting my top molars, rubber bands, retainers, you name it!!!

It was definitely worth it, though!
:D

Buddy Blaze Lover
10-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

Yea, braces are REALLY expensive! I only got mine 'cause my parents had saved up money, and we could afford it, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten them.

joanofark
10-16-2004, 02:26 PM
None of the options are for me.
Mine would be Not yet.:rolleyes:

Buddy Blaze Lover
10-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by joanofark
None of the options are for me.
Mine would be Not yet.:rolleyes:

:D:D;) Hey, I noticed that you're from the Bluegrass state! Me too! Where do you live? Just curious! :D

AmberLee
10-16-2004, 03:55 PM
Had them. It was a pain, but worth it -- my TMJ problem went away. I was lazy about the retainer too soon though, and my lower front teeth aren't straight anymore. Naughty, dumb me! :o :(

MariaM
10-16-2004, 04:05 PM
$4-5000:eek: :eek: Mine weren't that much!!

I got mine on Last August and got them off in April. I wear the crappiest retainers now and I hate them oh so much! I'd rather have the braces on for another few months than retainers, thats for sure!

I just asked my mom and she said mine cost $400. My sister had been going too though, she has had really bad teeth, got some wisdom teeth out, had problems with teeth coming down and one falling out etc. etc. etc. :rolleyes: She had braces for 2 years and my mom said it probably cost around $2500 for her, she just got them off last month I believe.

She also said mine probably would have cost $800-$1000 if Sarah hadn't been going, she think they gave me a little bit of a break because of all that hell.

Dogz
10-16-2004, 04:08 PM
Yes, I have braces now. I should be getting them off sometime next year.

Cincy'sMom
10-16-2004, 04:09 PM
I got a retainer when I was in 1st grade...braces on in 3rd or 4th. Had them til I was a sophomore in HS and took a retainer to college with me...For me, it was weird to NOT have them on!!

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-16-2004, 04:12 PM
I had them, I just got them off in Februaury of this year. I didn't mind them, I'd much rather wear braces than this stupid retainer I have now.

prechrswife
10-16-2004, 07:55 PM
I had them for 3 years after I reached adulthood (waited for financial reasons). They were definitely worth the trouble, though. My teeth were awful. My husband currently has braces on his bottom teeth for the second time. The permanent retainer he had on his bottom teeth came out when he was in college, and he didn't realize that it was so important.

flamepony12
10-16-2004, 07:59 PM
straight teeth, see? >>> :D <<<

primabella
10-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Yep, I had them for six awful years. I had everything. Palette expander, face mask, mouthpiece, those appliances with elastics and it goes on. My whole jaw was screwed up. But I'm really happy with the way it all came out. :D

manda_moo87
10-16-2004, 08:24 PM
I've never had to wear braces and don't think I need them.

chrissycat21
10-16-2004, 08:28 PM
I have braces. I had an expander (that things hurts SO badly!) and I have rubber bands now. I should get them off in a few months though! I've had them on for just over a year now....

carole
10-16-2004, 10:15 PM
When i was a kid many moons ago, My parents were told I should have braces on my bottom teeth, well they probably could not afford it and not many people bothered then, so I have crooked bottom teeth, but they are not that bad, my tops are very straight and look fine, and besides you hardly ever see the bottom ones.

Unfortunately today, nearly every child is told by the School Dental nurse they need braces, I think it is purely cosmetic.
my daughter has straight bottom and top teeth, but they suggested she see an orthodontist, what for I don't know? she has a under-bite I think they call it.

I simply donot have the money for that, if it were to cause her discomfort or anything, then yes I would find it, but sometimes I think they refer nearly everyone these days, and its un-necessary.

My sisters two front teeth cross over each other, now to my way of thinking she should have had that sorted, it spoils her smile.

catfancier
10-17-2004, 05:09 AM
I had braces for about 17 months when I was 13 and 14yrs old (about 10 years ago). I had 'too big teeth for my mouth' and I had a front tooth overlapping the other - completely crooked and made me look like a real geek! (no offense!)
I had two pre-molars taken out which they let me keep, and my braces cost about $NZ1800 - and that was the cheapest in town.
It wasn't so bad having them, the pain was bearable and my best friend had her own set of braces at the time so I wasn't the only one at school to be called 'train tracks' or get food caught in the metal bits.
I think the thing that hurt most was getting them taken off - it felt like they were ripping all the bones out of my face!
I was really happy with the results nonetheless, and now I have a great smile!
And since then I've had two wisdom teeth through and they have enough space to grow in so having two teeth taken out was a blessing in disguise!

Buddy Blaze Lover
10-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
I got a retainer when I was in 1st grade...braces on in 3rd or 4th. Had them til I was a sophomore in HS and took a retainer to college with me...For me, it was weird to NOT have them on!!

WOW, that's amazing!! :eek: I would have died by then! :D

pitc9
10-18-2004, 08:34 AM
I had braces for two years.

(but didn't wear my retainer and because if that 2 two teeth have moved :o)

EssTer
10-18-2004, 10:51 AM
No I havent ever had them.. and I´´m happy about it :)

wolfsoul
10-18-2004, 02:21 PM
Nope, I've never had them. I'm very lucky to have very nice straight teeth. The only problems that I had with my teeth in the past were that my teeth came in with cracks in them (it happens quite a bit in my family), so I had them filled in. :)

Toby's my baby
10-18-2004, 09:21 PM
I have had braces for about a year now, they don't bother me, except when I worry about having food stuck in my braces, me and my friend say "Food check" and smile after lunch, just to make sure:p

They are really expensive, poor mom, she had to have twins!

doggylovr6
10-18-2004, 10:08 PM
no problem

Karen
10-18-2004, 10:44 PM
As I posted in the other thread, I had teeth too big and a jaw that's too narrow. For those who have "been there, done that" the orthodontist had to bend his narrowest tray even more narrow in order to take impressions of my teeth!

I had braces for about 2 years, 3 months and 15 days. I have 8 fewer teeth than a normal adult - had my 4 first bicuspids (premolars) taken out, and then my 4 wisdom teeth taken out. I wore my retainers until the orthodontist said I didn't have to any more - if you don't you risk having to have braces all over again as an adult. I do not have a "permanent" bottom retainer, though my sister does. She had braces for 4 years, starting just after she turned 9. Her teeth were so messed up (one eyetooth, the orthodontist asked my parents if he could use her impressions and x-rays as a teaching aid, so they got a discount on her braces.

Then when it was my turn, my parents got a "second kid in the family" discount. Dr. Morin was great. He had stuffed animals with either glasses or night braces on them in his office, cool abstract modern art (real, not reproductions) on his walls, and one hot pink chair, one purple one, and one lighter pink one. We each got a plaque with our braces mounted on it as a "job over" present, and a smiley-button (with straight teeth showing) that said "construction completed" on it.

My brothers lucked out - they have wider jaws, so just needed their wisdom teeth removed, no braces.

dogs_4_me
10-18-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Karen

I had my 4 wisdom teeth taken out.

Does it hurt to have your wisdom teeth out? I'm hoping I dont need mine out!

slleipnir
10-18-2004, 11:57 PM
I had them too...Hated it...ppl actually enjoyed their braces experience? o_O'''' (person voted they loved them..) hehe.

slleipnir
10-19-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by dogs_4_me

I had 18 teeth pulled...yes, 18.........4 of them wisdom. trust me, you'd do fine ;D It's definetly not comfortable afterwards (i was put to sleep..wouldn't have done it any other way lol) I wouldn't say it's really bad though..I worried about it for like 10 yrs of my life LOL I even cried while I waited in the office to go in...:o Wasn't as bad as I though.

dogs_4_me
10-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
LOL I even cried while I waited in the office to go in...:o Wasn't as bad as I though.
LOL I hate going to the dentist I would be crying as well;) :p :D

Karen
10-19-2004, 08:54 PM
My wisdoms, hadn't even started to come in (thank goodness, as they were aimed perpendicularly at the roots of others) so I had general anesthesia. I was kinda sore when I woke up, but it was like a bad bruise kind of ache, that's all.

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-16-2004, 11:14 AM
I had braces about 35 years ago. Unfortunately, I got a bad dentist, so it only worked 50 %. My "upper-level" (don't know real name :rolleyes: ) is fine. But the lower jaw is about 2 cm more backwords. Do I make sense? It was fine until last year. Because of this my joints under the cheeks are mis-used , and now I sometimes cannot open my mouth at all....:( . Going to the dentist is a huge ordeal too now...!
My daughter wore braces during 2,5 years. She has beautiful teeth now (she is 15). It was VERY expensive though....:eek:

GraciesMommy
11-16-2004, 02:31 PM
I had braces from age 36 - 38...not fun! But I have pretty teeth now! lol

Samantha Puppy
11-16-2004, 02:36 PM
Nope, never had them. My teeth were always straight 'til I lost my last baby tooth (they'd been trying to keep it as there was no adult tooth underneath of it) but it came out when I was 18 and then my lower teeth slanted a little to the right because of the space on my right side. It's not horrible but my teeth aren't as straight as I'd like.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Yep, I have them now. My *date* to have them taken off is next summer, around June-July.

I had to have two baby teeth pulled before I got them on over a year ago, and I have one tooth that doesn't have a permanent tooth under it, so I'll have to have a tooth implant when it decides to fall out. Oh, and I don't/won't have wisdom teeth according to my dentist. They never came in, and they don't see any "hiding". :D

I actually have to go the ortho tomorrow.. fun. :p

guineapiggie13
11-16-2004, 07:02 PM
Yes, I am getting them on soon, as a matter of fact.

lizzielou742
11-16-2004, 07:16 PM
slleipnir - Holy moly - 18 teeth out at once??!?!!!! :eek:

Originally posted by dogs_4_me

OK, here is my wisdom teeth story. I was in college, I was 21, and made my momma come down for the weekend to take care of me, because I was so scared. :) They gave me a Xanax to take ninety minutes before to help relax me so I wouldn't freak, so by the time I got there I was like Anna Nicole Smith on the American Music Awards Monday night! :P I barely remember even riding to the dentist's office. Then they completely knocked me out with anaesthesia (sp?). I vaguely remember the next 24 hours. I know my mom was there, waking me up to change gauze pads and stuff, but I don't remember it. Lots of sleeping. :D They gave me prescription painkillers to take for the 3 days after the surgery, so I was pretty good. Mom made me jell-o and pudding and homemade chicken noodle soup and bought me ice cream that I lived on for about 4 days after, then I could start eating more solid foods again.

*don't read this next part if you are squeamish*

For about a week afterwards, my gums were pretty sore from where the teeth used to be, but it was bearable. It's really weird to be able to stick your tongue into a hole in your gums (yuck)!! The most annoying part of all of it was how for a few months or so afterwards, until your holes completely close up, you get food stuck in those holes (ew!) so they gave me a syringe-type thing, and I had to blast warm water down in each hole (especially the bottom holes) after every time I ate to get the food out. The first time I did it, all this blood came out, it went everywhere and I totally freaked. Turns out it was just a clot that had formed after the surgery, and it wasn't really actively bleeding or anything, but it still scared me to death. So don't freak out if that happens. ;)

All in all, I'm totally glad I had it done, because my jaw doesn't hurt half as much as it did - I still have TMJ, but my gums and teeth don't hurt anymore from being pushed around by the wisdom teeth. So, I would totally recommend doing it - and if you are scared, have them knock you out totally. I'm really glad I wasn't awake for it. And have your mom or someone there to take care of you.

:D :D

sorry to go off topic! :)

guineapiglover4life
11-16-2004, 08:00 PM
I have braces and hate it because my orthadontist keeps nagging me saying 'brush, brush, brush!'. Grrr...lol :p My gums get swolen a bit no matter how much I brush. Uggh...:rolleyes:

Dogz
11-16-2004, 08:01 PM
I have them now. I don't think they are that bad.

Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
My *date* to have them taken off is next summer, around June-July.

Same here. ;)