PDA

View Full Version : Happy Sweetest Day everyone!

moosmom
10-16-2004, 08:12 AM
Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Sweetest Day. It's cold and rainy here, but whatever YOUR weather is, enjoy your day!!!

Oh Daaaaaavvvidp,

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/smil12.gif

lizzielou742
10-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Happy Sweetest Day!

We don't really celebrate Sweetest Day as much in KY and we did in OH. In fact, I didn't realize it was Sweetest Day until an Ohio friend called me yesterday to ask what she should get her boyfriend.

I miss it! My boyfriend calls it a "Hallmark holiday" and refuses to buy me presents. :( ;)

joanofark
10-16-2004, 02:31 PM
ha. Me and my mom remembered and my dad forgot.

After we gave him some candy and a card he said,

"Oh give me some money so I can buy you two something! I forgot all about it!"
:D

Kfamr
10-16-2004, 02:40 PM
I've never even heard of "Sweetest Day"! :confused:

Aspen and Misty
10-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Me either???

What is it?

Ashley

AmberLee
10-16-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
Me either???

What is it?

Ashley

Yep, same here. :confused:

lizzielou742
10-16-2004, 03:57 PM
http://www.theromantic.com/sweetestday.htm

Observed the 3rd Saturday in the month of October, Sweetest Day observance originated in Cleveland in 1922. Herbert Birch Kingston, a philanthropist and candy company employee wanted to bring happiness into the lives of orphans, shut-ins and others who were forgotten. With the help of friends, he began to distribute candy and small gifts to the underprivileged.

On the first Sweetest Day, movie star Ann Pennington presented 2,200 Cleveland newspaper boys with boxes of candy to express gratitude for their service to the public.

Another popular movie star, Theda Bara, distributed 10,000 boxes of candy to people in Cleveland hospitals and also gave candy to all who came to watch her film in a local theater.

Primarily a regional observance celebrated in the Great Lakes region and the Northeast, Sweetest Day is gradually spreading to other areas of the country. People tend to take the Sweetest Day tradition with them when they move. Ohio is the top state for Sweetest Day sales, followed by Michigan and Illinois. Texas, California and Florida are among the top 10 states in sales.

Over the years, Sweetest Day has evolved into a time to express romantic love and also to show appreciation to friends.

davidpizzica
10-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Sweetest Day. It's cold and rainy here, but whatever YOUR weather is, enjoy your day!!!

Oh Daaaaaavvvidp,

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/smil12.gif Donna, it's chilly and rainy here, too,but happy sweetest day to you,too! Just talking to you keeps me warm!! ooooooh Donna!

AmberLee
10-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Thank you, I'd seen the name on calendars and as it meant nothing to me it scarcely registered.

moosmom
10-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Thanks Lizzielou for giving the history of Sweetest Day. Even I didn't know how it started.

Davidp,

I wish you WERE here!! My landlord STILL hasn't turned the heat on and it's freezing up here! When I called him (again) he said he hadn't gotten to it but will be here tomorrow. I certainly HOPE so!!!!

I feel bad for Moo. With him having no fur, it's like walking around butt nekked. :(

davidpizzica
10-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Thanks Lizzielou for giving the history of Sweetest Day. Even I didn't know how it started.

Davidp,

I wish you WERE here!! My landlord STILL hasn't turned the heat on and it's freezing up here! When I called him (again) he said he hadn't gotten to it but will be here tomorrow. I certainly HOPE so!!!!

I feel bad for Moo. With him having no fur, it's like walking around butt nekked. :( Donna, I just got the mental image of Moo walking around nekkid! I suggest that you tell the landlord to hurry it up with the heat! Meanwhile think of me and you will be warm! I'm lucky in that I have two four legged comforters to help keep me warm.

moosmom
10-16-2004, 05:51 PM
I was sitting here and smelled something weird. It was the heat!!!! It was finally on. I looked down the stairway to the grate that goes to the basement and the light was on. I yelled 'THANK YOU!!!' to my landlord.

I pulled Moo out from his covers and put him on the hammock in front of the heat duct. He is in HEAVEN!!!!

AmberLee
10-16-2004, 06:04 PM
...I pulled Moo out from his covers and put him on the hammock in front of the heat duct. He is in HEAVEN!!!!

What a wonderful Sweetness Day surprise for Moo ... even if the landlord didn't mean it, exactly. :D :cool:

davidpizzica
10-16-2004, 08:15 PM
Donna, see what happens when you put on the charm! I'm glad that you have heat again, now Moo can enjoy himself! Donna, just keep thinking warm thoughts about me Don't forget that I love you!! ooooooooh Donna! BTw, thank you for the e-card, that was so thoughtful!!

Tonya
10-16-2004, 11:06 PM
I have never heard of Sweetest day, but Happy Sweetest day to you too! :D