PDA

View Full Version : Need advice please....major renovations happening

slick
10-16-2004, 12:09 AM
I'll try to make this as clear and concise as possible.
I live in a concrete highrise - 18 floors total and I'm on the 14th floor. Starting in November there is going to be some major renos happening. All the pipes have to be replaced. This means that for 15 days, workmen will be in my apartment ripping down walls, replacing pipes and putting everything back together again.
In a nutshell, Max and Speckles are going to FREAK OUT BIG TIME!!

A few weeks ago there was a meeting with the Piping company and I asked one of them if I could put my kitties in one room while they worked on the rest of the apt then switch then the time was right. I was told NO, that they need access to the whole suite for the whole 15 days. I have NO spare room to put them in at all.

I can't let Max and Speckles run free so was thinking about getting a huge dog crate to put them in....but wait....they don't get along and there would be bloodshed at the end of the day. Two crates? Maybe. Stress and upsets reek havoc on M & S; when I moved Max got sick with a UTI.

Please, I'm really stressed about this. Any other suggestions from those who have done major renos? Thanks.

AmberLee
10-16-2004, 12:35 AM
Wow. Tough one. Do you have any friends that could provide 'day care' for that two week period? It would still be stressful for them, but I don't think as bad as having their territory 'invaded' and the risk of them getting lost...

Aspen and Misty
10-16-2004, 12:51 AM
I would find somewhere for them to go for awile. DO you like near any PTers who would take them in during this time? Or, like suggested, a friend who wouldn't mind taking them.

If not, I would say some kind of cage is your best bet, but do you really want to leave your cat's alone in an apartment with people who don't know? (Assuming you won't be there the whole time)'

Ashley

slick
10-16-2004, 01:03 AM
Thanks for your replies. I wasn't really expecting any.

1. Firstly, I have no friends or family who would be willing to take them.
2. Secondly, even if I did, the move would stress them out tremendously and Max would probably still get sick.
3. Thirdly, I could board them at the vets, but they get really stressed out during a whitecoat visit anyway. I can't see them eating or sleeping while at the vets.

Ashley, I'm not worried about the workmen. This whole thing is sponsored by the Strata and there is a resident in charge of overseeing the whole project. I do have holidays in November but not until week of November 8th. The workmen will be in my apt from 8:30am to 4:30pm.

I really think the crate is the best option, but I threw it out there for other suggestions that maybe I didn't think about.

slick
xo

Uniqueviking
10-16-2004, 01:35 AM
I think, you should go for the crate option (2), and then make sure the cats can see eachother. Even if they don't get along and can't touch (fight?), they can still find comfort in the fact they have eachother.

I had major renovations done here 2 years ago: New windows (the entire frame was taken out of the wall) and new ventilation in the kitchen and bathroom. The whole thing lasted about a week.

It was messy and it was noisy, but the cats adapted, and handled it, surprisingly well (they were only in their carriers while the window frames were out). They just stayed clear of whereever the workmen were currently working, and went about their business as usual.

I of course made sure their food and water were close by them, in the area where they'd chosen to stay, while this was going on so they weren't forced to have to go near the mess or the strangers if they didn't want to.

Killearn Kitties
10-16-2004, 02:14 AM
If you can't get Max and Speckles out of the house, then I would think crates are your best option. At least that way they can have everything they need with them, they will be safe from being stuck in the walls,:eek: and hopefully feel they are safe from the intruders. Sorry, I really can't think of any better solution.

A couple of weeks ago we had Daisy trapped in the house, because she was getting her eye ointment. One of the days she was in, the gas board were here replacing the boiler and doing some work to the radiators, so there was lots of banging and pipe noises coming from the walls. I was worried about Daisy, thinking that she would be really scared. Se didn't much like the banging, but she didn't act particularly scared and she was absolutely fine as soon as it stopped.

I hope Max and Speckles are more comfortable than you expect too.

catmandu
10-16-2004, 08:37 AM
If I was closer,they could stay,in the found Cat Hotel,FREE! Maybe,a Cat Boarding Place,so they,will be away,from the noise,and the chance,of them getting out!

catcrazylady
10-16-2004, 09:06 AM
Oh wow Slick that is a tuffy! I would be very worried too and I'm not sure what I would do. If you go with the crate option is there a corner in the bedroom maybe where the workman won't spend as much time in. I think I would put the two crate doors facing each other so they can see each other. They may not want to spend time together but there surely would be some comfort for them to see each other. Maybe you should cover the crates too so they can't see all the strangers coming and going.
I would be totally freaked out by this too but you know how they never cease to amaze us and will probably deal with it better than you.;) Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Corinna
10-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Slick if Max gets so upset maybe you can find a over the counter tranqulizer for him and he'd be less srtessed out. I don't go for drugging but in this case when you can't be there it would help. Or talk to your vet.

slick
10-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
I would be totally freaked out by this too but you know how they never cease to amaze us and will probably deal with it better than you.;)
:D You're probably right on this one. I'm not a particularly nervous Meowmie when it comes to my babies getting sick, it's just this reno thing. It's going to be noisy, messy and very dusty. I mean Max get freaked out at a gust of wind. :D He tries to be so tough on Speckles but is really a wimp at heart.

Thank you for the replies people. I've sent out some emails to my Humane Society friends and hopefully I can get another crate from them. I'm also thinking about putting a cardboard box in the crate as well in case they want a hidey hole to feel safe in.

You guys rock!

Corinna, good idea. Since this will be going on for weeks, I'll see how he reacts the first couple of days. If need be I'll turn to drugs. (Oh, I just had a flashback from the 60's) :D :D

lizzielou742
10-16-2004, 02:20 PM
That would make me nervous too. First, I'd put tags on their collars/make them wear their collars for the 2 wks., just in case (heaven forbid) anything should happen. I know I'm paranoid like that, though. Tito and Sophie get away with wearing regular collars with our phone # embroidered on them most of the time, but when we go to the vets' or out of town, the collars with all the tags (rabies shot, ID, city license) come out.

I guess the two crates is the only way. :( It's what I would try. Good luck!

emily_the_spoiled
10-16-2004, 03:02 PM
I had some renovations earlier this summer and I left the "gang" out . I asked the workmen later and was told the only time they saw the cats was when the workers sat down for lunch (my guys are moocher). Other than that they basically ignored each other.

Good luck

AmberLee
10-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Notes from a negative type... :( :o

I was cat sitting for a friend during her home's renovation and her cat did have a LOT of trouble with the noise/dust/ people in and out. I know cats differ, but her cat developed a nervous twitch and ate a band of fur off of her tail in the stress. It really messed up our friendship for a while. :( Perhaps if your cats do have each other to turn to in the stress, and with you in the evenings it will help... My experience with cats and renovations is more negative than the rest listed here though...

binka_nugget
10-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Vickie, you're welcome to borrow our crate for as long as you need it. It's a wire crate but I doubt a kittie could fit through it. :)

slick
10-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Thank you so much for the advice everyone. Ashley, you are so sweet to offer and I thank you very much, but this weekend I've managed to borrow two dog crates from the Humane Society. My God they are big enough to hold a 90 lb pup so there will be lots of room for them.

I've bleached them out and they are now set up in the bedroom; hopefully they will explore them and be comfortable in them when the renos start.

Thanks again everyone.

NoahsMommy
10-17-2004, 07:53 PM
The crate idea is a very good one and I agree with Uniqueviking that they should be able to at least see eachother.

Do you have a closet where you can put the crates? I would think somewhere as quiet as possible will make them feel safer.

Can you get rescue remedy there? That may help calm them a bit while its noisy.

Also, while they say they'll need your place for 15 days, that's probably (hopefully) the worst case scenario. Hopefully they'll finish quick for you. :)