PDA

View Full Version : Changing litter boxes when pregnant

Tonya
10-15-2004, 02:53 PM
I think this is more of a rant. I am not supposed to be changing the box, so I gave Mike the chore. He SUCKS! Everytime I look, it is smelly and dirty. The cats keep peeing other places because the box is dirty. He doesn't seem to be able to get it into his thick skull that clean litter box means clean cats. They never had accidents when it was my responsibility...doesn't he see the connection?!! :mad:

carole
10-15-2004, 03:49 PM
I sure can empathise with your situation here, it sounds like hubby needs a good kick in the rear end, very fustrating for you, as you cannot change those boxes, and have to stand by and watch it happen before your'e eyes.

If it were me I would be so MAD:mad: I don't have a solution , sorry.
Keep in mind, men are like children at times, so maybe you will have to reward him, for doing this simple task.lol;)

AmberLee
10-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Dumb question, but for your peace of mind, is there a local, responsible teenager you could hire to do kitty-care. Maybe Mike would get off his duff if he saw someone was getting paid to do it? (Or am I hopelessly naive yet again???)

Tonya
10-15-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
Dumb question, but for your peace of mind, is there a local, responsible teenager you could hire to do kitty-care. Maybe Mike would get off his duff if he saw someone was getting paid to do it? (Or am I hopelessly naive yet again???)

That is a great idea and I'm half tempted. The only thing that is stopping me is that I would be embarrassed! Our neighbors across the street have 7-9 kids, so I am sure one of them would do it. I have a 7 year old son, but I think he's a little young. The only time I tried to have him do it, he accidently flung litter into his face. It grossed me out at the time, but it was kinda funny.

catland
10-15-2004, 06:54 PM
YUCK -

I think that the first thing you should do is find some articles on the internet that explain why it is so important that you stay away from dirty kitty litter and print them out to show your husband. (I think that guys think that women make this up just to get out of cleaning the box).

second - maybe you should change to one of those brands that are supposed to last longer or is advertised for multiple-cat households.

Finally, paying a neighbor kid is better than the smell of a stinky litter box.:eek: Your baby's health is more important than a moment's embarrasment.

good luck.:)

catmandu
10-16-2004, 08:55 AM
I dont understand,as I clean out,three times a day,six big litter boxes! After all,you wouldnt like a place,where the toilet,isnt flushed!

Christiansmommy
10-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Of course, you go by the direction of your OBGYN ( not by what i am saying), but when i was pregnant, i was told that as long as my cats were strictly indoor cats (in other words, they weren't outside killing mice, and eating raw meat), then i could change the litter...the way toxoplasmosis happens, apparently, is when a cat eats raw meat, or feces, from an animal outdoors that carries it,and then, you ge contaminated by it, when handling the feces ( gross)...so i did change the box occasionally, but also "tried" to get hubby to do it too...:rolleyes:

Again, i am CERTAINLY NOT TELLING YOU TO CHANGE IT, by all means, just telling you what MY OBGYN told me, but do go by what your OBGYN told you, just thought i would mention it...and btw, the fews times i did change it myself, i used gloves, and scrubbed afterwards ( even though they were indoor cats)...

rinkrat
10-16-2004, 11:17 AM
Cat scratch fever can come from an indoor cat. I've seen it happen twice. I don't know how it comes about though.

Tonya
10-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Christiansmommy
Of course, you go by the direction of your OBGYN ( not by what i am saying), but when i was pregnant, i was told that as long as my cats were strictly indoor cats (in other words, they weren't outside killing mice, and eating raw meat), then i could change the litter...the way toxoplasmosis happens, apparently, is when a cat eats raw meat, or feces, from an animal outdoors that carries it,and then, you ge contaminated by it, when handling the feces ( gross)...so i did change the box occasionally, but also "tried" to get hubby to do it too...:rolleyes:

Again, i am CERTAINLY NOT TELLING YOU TO CHANGE IT, by all means, just telling you what MY OBGYN told me, but do go by what your OBGYN told you, just thought i would mention it...and btw, the fews times i did change it myself, i used gloves, and scrubbed afterwards ( even though they were indoor cats)...

I think that my anger from having a dirty litter box is going to hurt me before the cat feces does! I am just going to start cleaning it myself right before I take a shower.

Craftlady
10-16-2004, 03:28 PM
I agree double check with your OB/GYN but I would think wearing disposible gloves (you can buy them from pharmacies or medical supply places, even think Sams Club carries them in cleaning supply section) double them would do the trick.

Sirrahsim
10-16-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Christiansmommy
Of course, you go by the direction of your OBGYN ( not by what i am saying), but when i was pregnant, i was told that as long as my cats were strictly indoor cats (in other words, they weren't outside killing mice, and eating raw meat), then i could change the litter...the way toxoplasmosis happens, apparently, is when a cat eats raw meat, or feces, from an animal outdoors that carries it,and then, you ge contaminated by it, when handling the feces ( gross)
Yep, my doc and vet told me the same thing. I wore mask and gloves anyway just to be extra super cautious:D But now since it bothers my other family members I will have hubby do it:D

You can also get toxo from undercooked meat and veggies that haven't been washed thouroughly, so careful in the kitchen:)

But if you really want your hubby to do it, (which is perfectly fine!) I like the idea of telling him you're gonna hire a neighborhood kid to do it, that ought to get his attention:D