PDA

View Full Version : Oddly Enough....

Tonya
10-15-2004, 09:27 AM
Papers: Litter box full, woman sets fire

The Associated Press
www.modbee.com

Last Updated: October 14, 2004, 09:09:14 PM PDT

PORT ANGELES, Wash. (AP) - Court documents filed in Clallam County Superior Court tie an alleged arson in an apartment complex to a smelly cat litter box.
Prosecutors on Wednesday charged Marie Adeline Calkins, 63, with first-degree arson, accusing her of setting a fire Tuesday in her apartment on South C Street. No one was injured.

She told officers she lit the fire because "she was depressed and upset that her kitty litter box was full and smelled," court papers said.

Judge George L. Wood set bail at $50,000 and ordered a mental health assessment.

LKPike
10-15-2004, 09:48 AM
lol

"she was depressed and upset that her kitty litter box was full and smelled"
uhmm... they invented pooper scoopers you know?? cat owners are no longer in the dark when it comes to cleaning: the box! *enter scary music here*

is this story real?? I can believe theres some wacky, crazy people in this world but geeeez... I feel sorry for the others that were effected by the fire.

LoudLou
10-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Yes the story IS real.
I live about 50 miles from Port Angeles, one of our local papers is their city paper, The Peninsula Daily News.
Very sad.... The firemen were returning from a call when they drove by the apartment complex and saw smoke. Had they not stopped when they did the cat that was trapped inside the apt. would have died. The cat is under the care of a local vet now and hopefully will find a good home. I am unable to access the newspapers website so unfortunately can't give you a link. If I were the Judge I think I would have added Animal Abuse charge in there too.

catnapper
10-15-2004, 11:04 AM
OMG.... that didn't just *suddenly* get full... it took a few days to get there.

Wonder what will happen to the poor cat?

kuhio98
10-15-2004, 11:25 AM
I can't wait to hear her defense.

"I was temorarily incapaciated by the ammonia fumes of the cat urine".

"I was traumatized as a child when a kitty scratched me."

"I ate a Twinkie for breakfast and the sugar made me crazy".

"I was potty trained too young as a child."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LKPike
10-15-2004, 11:36 AM
well yeah now that you mention it, it IS animal abuse. Cats are such clean animals, so much could happen if they don't have a clean place to go :(

Tonya
10-15-2004, 12:38 PM
There's been a few times I've felt a little down when my litter box stunk. Luckily, I chose the option of cleaning it instead of setting it on fire. :rolleyes:

AmberLee
10-15-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
There's been a few times I've felt a little down when my litter box stunk. Luckily, I chose the option of cleaning it instead of setting it on fire. :rolleyes:

:D :D :D ROTFLOL Me too, me too. I never thought I was lacking in imagination before, though.

Tonya
10-15-2004, 01:41 PM
I have to admit...There has been a few times, where it stunk so bad that I was tempted to throw the whole thing away and just buy a brand new one!

LKPike
10-15-2004, 02:44 PM
I have to admit...There has been a few times, where it stunk so bad that I was tempted to throw the whole thing away and just buy a brand new one!

been there, done that :rolleyes: hehe

AmberLee
10-15-2004, 02:45 PM

Yeah, I've known that temptation, too...

QueenScoopalot
10-15-2004, 04:34 PM
I'm glad the cat's away from the woman, and that the woman's getting some much needed psychological help! :( Hopefully this one won't fall through the cracks once her evaluation, and counseling etc.'s over, and go get herself another cat. :mad: Poor cat was probably a lot closer to keeling over from the fumes, than the woman was. I pity them both actually. :(

catmandu
10-16-2004, 09:22 AM
As My Dear Mother was fond,of saying,some people,shouldnt be let,out without keeper! Hadnt,this idiot,ever heard,of a Litter Box Scoop?