PDA

View Full Version : New Meowmie questions... *getting nervous!*

Samantha Puppy
10-15-2004, 07:58 AM
Okay, I get Sushi and Kirin tomorrow. On the literature they gave me on how to introduce kittens into a home with a dog, they said to keep the animals separated for a few days so that they can use that time to adjust to new surroundings and people.

I was going to keep them in our room for the most part. It's really one of the only places they'd have true privacy. However, Samantha sleeps with us. She's either on our bed, the doggie bed, or the loveseat. She never leaves the room. So what should I do? Move the kitties? Can I put them in a crate? Can they go all night without having to potty?

I'm getting nervous! How should I handle this?

catcrazylady
10-15-2004, 08:09 AM
Maybe you could set them up in the bathroom at night. One very important piece of advice....Never Ever keep a kitten or cat anywhere without access to a litter box! I don't mean to sound harsh but you will be setting yourself up for big trouble if you do that. They can not hold their tiny bladders and once they start using potty in inappropriate places it's very hard to break. If they attempt to hold their bladders for too long they can develop urinary problems too. If you give them access to your room all day but keep them in the bathroom at night all should be ok. Just make sure that there is a litter box available at all times.

Godo Luck!

jenluckenbach
10-15-2004, 08:19 AM
Move them to another room at night, or just keep them in a room that they can stay in without moving. You can cage them but it must be large enough to fit a litter box in. Kittens use the potty a LOT!!!.

mina'smomma
10-15-2004, 08:33 AM
I have to say that keeping them in your room during the day and the bathroom at night is the best idea. This way you don't have to feel like a brut for keeping them in a crate and then they're meowing all night. (Personal experience when we got Mina.)

Samantha Puppy
10-15-2004, 08:38 AM
Okay... thanks guys. :)

How about this - I'm getting them at 10:30 now, instead of 11:30 which means I won't have time to stop at PetSmart BEFORE getting them. How long can they go without access to a litter box? Arlington is about 50 mins. from the PetSmart we'll go to. I don't know how long we'll be in there, but not too awfully long... maybe 30-45 mins. Then my home is another 45 mins. away.

Good idea? Bad idea?

catmandu
10-15-2004, 08:50 AM
They,can hold thier mess,for an hour,and in thier new home,they may be too nervous,to eliminate! And a spare room,or the bathroom,will be the best thing,until you see how Samantha reacts!

Samantha Puppy
10-15-2004, 09:33 AM
Bump...

... Sorry, I just want to make sure lots of people see this thread 'cause I need answers! :)

jenluckenbach
10-15-2004, 09:51 AM
I am probably too late for you trip, but just keep papers or towels in the crate to absorb what they might do.

jazzcat
10-15-2004, 09:54 AM
When I brought R&R home from Kimlovescats it was a three hour drive. We stopped half way to give them a potty break in the litter box I brought but they didn't go. They held it till we got home and went immediately.

sirrahbed
10-15-2004, 10:06 AM
we bought small aluminum disposable cake pans and stacked them up, each with a small amount of litter in them (easy to throw away and the next one all ready to go) - so the box was always available to them for the 6 hour trip. once home - we used the same boxes as they fit nicely in the crate:)

Samantha Puppy
10-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
I am probably too late for you trip, but just keep papers or towels in the crate to absorb what they might do. No, I don't get them 'til tomorrow. :) So I'm hoping for unending advice today!!

catnapper
10-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Congrats! I'm so excited for you getting your first kittens! Make sure when you get the litter to buy the regular clay (its really cheap, so you'll know it by the price difference) - not the clumping kind, especially if you put them in the bathroom or another smaller room. Because they eat their food and step in water, etc... then go potty. Then the clumping litter sticks to their paws, etc. When they are a bit older you can switch.

If you can't get to the petstore, your local supermarket or CVS has small plastic trays in their pet section that could fit into a carrier. The cake pans are a good idea too.

Samantha Puppy
10-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Well, they'll have run of the entire bedroom and bathroom for the first few days... so the food will be in the bedroom and the litter box will be in the bathroom. I'd already gotten clumping litter - I didn't know there was a difference - so do you think since the food and water aren't near each other, it'll be okay??

catnapper
10-15-2004, 10:54 AM
It should be fine so long as they don't splash in a puddle in the sink or tub, or get into the toilet! :eek: (Which reminds me to remind you about keeping the seat down! :D )

sirrahbed
10-15-2004, 10:54 AM
I used the clumping from the very beginning with no problems. Kim knew that is what I used and transitioned for me - starting (I think) at about 6 weeks:D

sirrahbed
10-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
(Which reminds me to remind you about keeping the seat down! :D )
I have to keep remembering this too!!:eek: I keep imagining a baby kitty in there!!

lv4dogs
10-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Congrats on the newbies!
You're getting them tomorrow? Can't you get to a pet store today, or even grocery stores sell litter pans & litter, or maybe wake up a bit early & stop by in the am?

I don't mean to sound rude, but I like to be prepared for a pet before I bring them home. Its a lot easier & less stressful for both the owner & the pet.
I don't know, maybe I missed part of the story, maybe they are rescues & you have to get them asap without much notice or something.

shais_mom
10-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
I have to keep remembering this too!!:eek: I keep imagining a baby kitty in there!!

Me too!!
I agree with what everyone else said. I went and picked Kloe up, took her to the vet, ran to the grocery store, (in there maybe 10 minutes) came home - 20 min drive, gave her 3 baths (fleas that would not come off) and got her mostly dry before she used the box. Sometimes they wait, and I was hurrying as fast as I could. I was really surprised, and there were times I would come home from work and she wouldn't have used the box the whole time. I asked the vet about this and she said cats were different and you could never tell what they would do...
I used the aluminum cake pans also for the first 2 weeks. Then went to an extra large dish pan for a week and now Kloe has Kylie's old box.
*Also, keep a spray bottle on hand - I have 3 in my 4 room house! When they scratch or bite you or the furniture squirt them.
*get a scratching post - I bought one at Walmart for $10 and both love it - I never bought one for Kylie b/c she is declawed. (was declawed when I got her) I think I should have, she might have liked it all along! :o
*this was in one of my cat magazines, I have not done this yet b/c it hasn't become a problem but when I see Kloe playing with electric cords I spray her, but with 2 you might have your hands full ~~go to the dollar store or Big Lots and buy shower curtain rods pull the ends off of them and slide your cords thru them and it will be protected from kitten teeth! the person that reccommended this said she wished she would have thought of this earlier b/c it would have saved her a lot of time and money!
and headache!
that is probably a great tip for new human babies also, b/c when my cousin was a baby he chewed on an electric cord and burned a hole around his mouth and had several reconstructive surgeries and dental work - it was horrible.
GOOD LUCK!