PDA

View Full Version : Was Bush Wired?

dukedogsmom
10-14-2004, 07:48 PM
Written yesterday. Interesting.
Don't know if the link will work because I had to click on free day pass to get whole article.
click (http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/10/13/transmitter/)
Technical expert: Bush was wired
A Bush spokesman tells Salon there is nothing to the story. But as the final presidential debate looms, speculation grows about the mysterious bulge.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Dave Lindorff

Oct. 13, 2004 | Speculation continues to run wild about President Bush's mystery bulge. Since Friday, when Salon first raised questions about the rectangular bulge that was visible under Bush's suit coat during the presidential debates, many observers in the press and on the Internet have wondered aloud whether the verbally and factually challenged president might be receiving coaching via a hidden electronic device.

Now a technical expert who designs and makes such devices for the U.S. military and private industry tells Salon that he believes the bulge is indeed a transceiver designed to receive electronic signals and transmit them to a hidden earpiece lodged in Bush's ear canal.

"There's no question about it. It's a pretty obvious one -- larger than most because it probably has descrambling capability," said Alex Darbut, technical and business development vice president for Resistance Technology in Arden Hills, Minn. Darbut examined photographs of the president's back taken from the Fox News video feed at the first presidential debate in Coral Gables, Fla., as well as 2002 photos of the president driving and working in a T-shirt on his Crawford ranch, which were posted on the White House Web site.

Darbut speculates that the device the president wears is provided by the Secret Service, noting, "They're not going to have him driving around the countryside on his ranch without being in instant contact with him."

No one in the White House or Bush campaign, however, has offered such an explanation. In fact, the Bush camp has shed little light on the mysterious protuberance, turning aside questions with dismissive humor or rising tones of exasperation. The president is "a regular guy," White House chief of staff Andy Card told Salon before the second debate last week. "Maybe his suit had a little lump in it or something." Campaign spokeswoman Nicolle Devenish took the same line with the New York Times on Saturday: "It was most likely a rumpling of that portion of his suit jacket, or a wrinkle in the fabric." But Devenish, the Times dryly noted, "could not say why the 'rumpling' was rectangular." Campaign spokesman Scott Stanzel brushed aside a questioner in a Washington Post chat session by saying, "I think you've been spending a little too much time on conspiracy Web sites."

On Tuesday, in response to repeated questions from Salon, the Bush camp finally issued a flat denial. Campaign spokesman Reed Dickens denied that Bush has ever used an electronic device to aid his public speaking, insisting the president was wearing "nothing during the debates." When asked about the pictures taken at the Bush ranch, Dickens said the president has never used any devices except for cutting tools and earplugs to protect his ears from the high-decibel chainsaw. Nor has the Secret Service outfitted Bush with a hidden communications device, according to Dickens: "He doesn't need something like that because the Secret Service is always with him. They ride in the truck in the back. Wherever he goes, they're with him."

Despite the official denials, the bulge brouhaha is still ballooning. On Tuesday, the New York Daily News produced a master tailor named Frank Shattuck who, after viewing photos from both debates, confirmed, "There's definitely something there, in between the shoulder blades. I can't say what it is, but it's not hidden very well. They should have come to me. I can hide a pistol under the breast."

In Orlando, Florida, TV station WFTV polled its viewers, asking, “Do you believe the accusations that President George W. Bush was wired during the presidential debate?” Of 35,000 respondents, only 42 percent answered no, while 36 percent replied yes, and 22 percent said possibly.

Meanwhile, blogs, chat rooms, bulletin boards -- and Salon's letters pages -- continue to buzz with discussion about Bush's possible electronic enhancement. Reports are flying around the Web about earlier televised events where audio glitches allegedly permitted TV viewers to hear someone directing what Bush to say, including his public remarks at the Sea Island G-8 summit meeting in June, his D-day anniversary speech in France, and a New York speech following 9/11.

One thing is certain: During the final presidential debate in Tempe, Ariz., on Wednesday night, all eyes will be on Bush's back.

lizzielou742
10-15-2004, 07:10 AM
http://images.salon.com/news/feature/2004/10/08/bulge/story.jpg

We'll probably never know.

Pam
10-15-2004, 07:13 AM
This is old news. It was brought up after the second debate. A quote from his tailor ended the commentary. Geesh! :rolleyes:

dukedogsmom
10-15-2004, 07:59 AM
Pardon my error. I must have missed that. There might be someone here that didn't see it.

christa
10-15-2004, 08:51 AM
This is silly.

Is it totally inconceivable that Bush MAY have been wearing something underneath his jacket???

Like a BULLET PROOF VEST???

I would hope that if ANYONE were trying to get away with what he's being accused of, they would at least use a device from THIS CENTURY!!!

Logan
10-15-2004, 09:04 AM
The first mention I heard of this was night before last. I do think it is ludicrous, just as it was when there was "hoopla" about Kerry having brought notes into the first debate, when in reality it was a pen. People are just looking for ways to bash the candidates aren't they? It makes me sick.

Logan

IttyBittyKitty
10-15-2004, 09:29 AM
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought the conjecture was whether or not Bush was "wired" i.e. high on some killer drugs man .... lol

micki76
10-15-2004, 09:33 AM
:rolleyes:

Whether you think Bush is a moron or not, his people aren't. I think they would've used a smaller, more easily hidden device. I'm pretty sure that the President would have access to the absolute cutting egde government technology. If he were wired, it would be so freaking small, that you would never see a "bulge".

RICHARD
10-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom

But as the final presidential debate looms, speculation grows about the mysterious bulge.

That's why Laura married him...It's his wallet.;)

dukedogsmom
10-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Too funny! I was thinking of a different buldge :eek:

RICHARD
10-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
Too funny! I was thinking of a different buldge :eek:

WELL,

Haven't you heard about Bush's impotence in dealing with world affairs?

:confused: :o :cool:

dukedogsmom
10-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Man, how do you stay "on" like that all the time? And, how could I have not heard?

lizzielou742
10-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by christa
This is silly.

Is it totally inconceivable that Bush MAY have been wearing something underneath his jacket???

Like a BULLET PROOF VEST???

I would hope that if ANYONE were trying to get away with what he's being accused of, they would at least use a device from THIS CENTURY!!!

He was not wearing a bullet proof vest. The White House said that days ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3730364.stm

Bush's bulge stirs media rumours

A square patch was visible on Bush's back during the debate

A bulge in the back of President George W Bush's suit jacket during the first TV debate with John Kerry has triggered rumours that he was wired to get help.

Internet websites alleged the apparent bulge, during last week's debate in Miami, was a radio receiver feeding him answers from an offstage aide.

The Bush campaign dismissed the claims, saying it was just a wrinkle in the presidential jacket.

It also denied some web reports that Mr Bush was wearing a bullet-proof vest.

"People have been spending too much time dealing with Internet conspiracies. It's ridiculous," Bush campaign manager Scott Stanzel was quoted as saying by the AFP news agency.

Another campaign official said it was nothing more than a question of tailoring.

"There was nothing under his suit jacket," Nicolle Devenish, the Bush campaign's communications director, told the New York Times newspaper.

"It was most likely a rumpling of that portion of his suit jacket, or a wrinkle in the fabric," Ms Devenish added.

President Bush's tailor later said that the bulge was nothing more than a pucker along the jacket's back seam, according to the Seattle Times newspaper.

Georges de Paris, who made the suit worn by Mr Bush, said the bulge was accentuated when the president crossed his arms and leaned forward.

christa
10-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
He was not wearing a bullet proof vest.

My bad.

Tonya
10-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by micki76
:rolleyes:

Whether you think Bush is a moron or not, his people aren't. I think they would've used a smaller, more easily hidden device. I'm pretty sure that the President would have access to the absolute cutting egde government technology. If he were wired, it would be so freaking small, that you would never see a "bulge".

I agree. He's to smart and to rich to have a box on his back.

lizzielou742
10-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Pam
This is old news. It was brought up after the second debate. A quote from his tailor ended the commentary. Geesh! :rolleyes:

I'd say it didn't exactly end the commentary. Conspiracy theories are all over the Internet. Check out www.isbushwired.com. I for one don't think a word from a tailor means jack. But I also don't think Bush would be stupid enough to wear a receiver. The most interesting/craziest theory I have heard so far is that he was wearing a Lifecor defibrillating vest (http://www.lifecor.com/). The theory is that Bush went home to Crawford during August (his usual vacation time but also prime campaigning time) because he had a stroke, and that's why he missed his annual physical this year. Would also explain a lot of his behavior recently. ;)

Anyway, I don't really care either way. If Bush was being helped in the debates, he obviously wasn't getting very good help. And if he's sick, then I hope he gets better.

Pam
10-15-2004, 01:59 PM
I agree with Micki that the technology seems extremely crude. Regarding the conspiracy theories, my hubby reads some of these and passes them along to me. Such creative minds. :p

doggylovr6
10-15-2004, 06:30 PM
this is old news so give it up. that article, idk, i think its a fake, cuz i lookd. its a fake everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VOTING FOR KERRY!!,

andrea

K9soul
10-16-2004, 11:36 AM
Whether you believe the contents or not, the actual article is not "fake."

I don't always see things when they first come out either, there's no need to be condescending to the poster just because others have seen/read about it before. There's nothing wrong with expressing if you believe the idea is silly or not, but no need to be rude to the poster just for posting it :).

I personally believe that it's pretty unlikely he is/was "wired." The article was interesting though :p

lizbud
10-16-2004, 02:18 PM
I doubt very much that Bush was wired for any of the debates.
He hunched over the lecturn. I keep thinking if he was wired,
he got terrible advice from someone & they should be fired.:D

Lady's Human
10-18-2004, 09:53 AM
with modern tech if he was wired no one would have ever seen the equipment.

aly
10-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
Anyway, I don't really care either way. If Bush was being helped in the debates, he obviously wasn't getting very good help.

Hahaha, that is the same thing I thought!