PDA

View Full Version : Wind, chaos, Good Dogs!!

Glacier
10-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Yesterday we had our second major windstorm in the past three weeks. The last one knocked down one fence in our yard, but the dogs only got into a bigger fenced area. Last time we lost about 20 trees in the yard. Yesterday, I left for work at 7:45 and it was blowing like crazy again. We had one tree down in the yard, so I went back inside and told Stuart. I also asked him to keep the driveway gate closed all day just in case one of the pens got hit again. I should learn not to tempt fate out loud like that!

I got to work, got a cup of coffee and went to check my messages. The first one was from Stuart and all it said was "you need to come home". So I didn't even listen to the rest of my messages, called home to find out that our driveway was blocked, all the dogs were loose. Stuart wasn't even sure he had all of them accounted for. They wouldn't stand still long enough to get a head count and he has trouble telling Mac & Ozzy apart at the best of times! So I tell my receptionist that I have a dog emergency (a phrase she is used to hearing from me) and run out the door less than half an hour after I walked in!

By the time the wind died down, we lost over 30 trees on our property. The forest behind us is a mass of fallen trees; my sled trail is completely blocked. I do have a lovely new view of the mountain behind the house. Whoneeds a second storey to get a view!! We just got electricity back on a couple hours ago. Every fence in the yard is damaged, except the perimeter fence that we just finished before the first storm. Thank the canine gods for that fence! At one point I had 18 dogs loose in the yard, containedo nly by that fence. If it hadn't been up, there would have been dogs scattered all over the Yukon. I'd still be searching for them!

All the dogs are accounted for now and again thank God, they are all uninjured. One dog house was crushed, but fortunately, the dogs had longs ince escaped that pen! I can't catch Delta, but he is inside the fence.He's having the time of his life. Thinks this big new pen is great fun. Ithink it will be a few days before he decides to return to his old pen. Which may be a good thing as the fence needs some work. The pens arecurrently back together, except for one which normally only holds three dogsanyway. They are enjoying life as house dogs. One of the dogs in that penis Pingo, my main leader, who was crashed on the couch last time I checkedthis morning!

The truly amazing part of all this is that the dogs all got along. All daythere were between 12-18 dogs loose in the yard and not once was there asnarl, growl, fight. Nothing. They played together, napped all over the yard, dug some new holes. In a nice display of team work they even broke into the food bucket and fed themselves! Good dogs!!

I don't know how you people in Florida handle hurricanes!

And yes, I have pictures. I'll post them tonight!

pitc9
10-14-2004, 01:15 PM
OMG Glacier... I am SOOOOOOO glad no one got hurt or loose!

I can't imagine a storm like that!

I hope Delta gets tired out soon so you can catch him!!:D
I'll be waiting for pictures!

Cinder & Smoke
10-14-2004, 01:17 PM
WOW!

:eek:

Did you somehow *upset* the Wind Gods?

TWO Storms in 3 weeks = :(

Glad all the Dawgs behaved and got along! :)

Sorry bout loosing so many trees -
up side is you won't have to go too far for Fire Wood! :p

Logan
10-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Whew!!! Good and bad at the same time, for sure, Glacier!!! :eek:

So glad everyone is ok, and that you have a great view of your mountains, but good grief, so sorry that you lost 30 more trees!!!! :(

Logan

Jamieejo85
10-14-2004, 01:29 PM
You have 18 dogs?? Have I missed something here on Pet Talk?:) I never knew...

LorraineO
10-14-2004, 01:50 PM
oh my!!! thank goodness all the doggies are ok,,, but I am so sorry to hear of the tree loss.... I HATE when trees come down....

Glacier
10-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Jamieejo85
You have 18 dogs?? Have I missed something here on Pet Talk?:) I never knew...

Actually I have 20. I own 18, two are long-term fosters. Yesterday everyone except Kayleigh, my dog aggressive malamute mix and Preacher, my blind old dude was loose. At times there was one extra too as my neighbor's dog prefers to hang out at our place.

Jamieejo85
10-14-2004, 04:17 PM
WOW!!:eek: :D I wish I could have 20 dogs...gosh, I would be in complete heaven.....
~Jamie

Corinna
10-14-2004, 04:49 PM
Glacier so glad every one is ok and that they all got along until you got them sorted out. The hardware store must just love you . you are always making or fixing fences . Have they offered you a wholesale rate yet.? :D

chocolatepuppy
10-14-2004, 05:37 PM
Sorry to hear of all the wind damage you've had to deal with. Thank goodness you and your pups are okay!