PDA

View Full Version : Loosing my Hearing...

Aspen and Misty
10-13-2004, 11:30 PM
I'm sure it's nothing...

But for the past 3 weeks (ever since a school dance where the music was EXTREMLY loud) I havn't been able to hear as well. Last week at lunch my friend was sitting to my left and said something, Normal tone, right in my ear, and I didn't hear her. Then, yesterday and today I couldn't hear the movie in English class, I kept asking for it to be turned up and the teacher kept saying "If I turn it up any higher the other classrooms won't be able to do there work." Not to mention I can't hear anything anyone says to me. Everyone sounds like they are whispering. I'm always like "What? What? I'm sorry I can't hear you. What?" or something like that. Everytime someone says something to me and I'm not prepared, I can't hear them. I have to have them repeat it like 5 to 6 times.

When I was little though, I had really bad ear infections, I was sent to the hospital 3 times for them before I was 5 and was put on steroids for the equivelnet of a year (at diffrent times) to get ride of them. My doctor always told me to be careful around loud noises and things like that.

::sigh:: I'm sorry, I just needed to tell someone this. I'm getting a hearing test done at school tomrrow or the next day and I'm scared. I'm sure, well, hopeing, it's nothing. Hopefully I just like need my ears cleaned or something like that, it's just weird that ever since the dance I havn't been able to hear.

Ashley

CathyBogart
10-14-2004, 01:35 AM
I know how you feel. I'm only 20 and my hearing is quite poor. It's frustrating for me and the people around me. :(

lizzielou742
10-14-2004, 07:09 AM
I'd recommend going to your family doctor and asking them about flushing out your ear canals. It sounds gross, I know, but it's so worth it. I had a series of colds and illnesses when I was in college (living in the dorms does that!) and by the end I couldn't hear anything. I thought I was seriously going deaf. I went to the school clinic, and the doctor looked in my ears and couldn't see into my ear canal. What happens is, when you're sick with ear infections, etc. wax and stuff build up in your ears, beyond where you can reach with a Q-tip or anything. They can blast that stuff out of there - with me they used a huge silver syringe-looking thing filled with hydrogen peroxide and warm water. They basically just blast that water into your ear and it gets everything out. When they did it, let me tell you what, it made a world of difference for me. I could hear again without that blockage!! And seeing what came out of ears was completely disgusting! Really nasty!! 20 years of buildup! Sorry, it's gross I know!!! :o

Anyway, I'd recommend going to the doctor and asking about that. It can't hurt, and even if the doc doesn't agree, he can at least test your hearing. :) Good luck!

petslover
10-14-2004, 07:19 AM
I know about ear problems. I have had that done to me too. It made a difference. I have also had tubes in my ear. Which made a HUGE difference. I need to go get them checked out again because they are starting to pop again. Does anyones ears pop constantly? mine does and its really annoying.

pitc9
10-14-2004, 08:37 AM
Last winter I had a very bad cold/sore throat thing and it hung on for a long time. My ears were hurting.. everything!! Then one day I was very dizzy and felt like my equilibrium was off, so I went to the Dr. and found out that my estuation tube in my right ear had collapsed!!! Ever since then, my right ear pops, and feels like it's blocked up, and I can't hear very well out of it.

Let us know how your hearing test went!

DJFyrewolf36
10-14-2004, 09:55 AM
I have a genetic problem where in high pressures or rapid pressure changes *like being in an airplane for example* collapses my estuation tubes. Ugh its painful and it makes so I can't hear for a while. Being nearly blind, losing my hearing is scary!! I'd go have a doctor check it out, those school hearing tests always end up being somewhat messed up.

cookieluver7
10-23-2004, 01:05 PM
It is a good thing that you are getting your hearing checked out at school. If something is wrong, you can fix it right away before anything gets worse. Good luck! You are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope that all you have to do is get them cleaned out. Also, next time listen to your doctor. I know dances are fun, but I also know that there is a lot of loud music. Don't go to the dances with extremely loud music. Sure you will be missing out on a lot of fun, but do you really want to miss out on hearing for the rest of your life! Like I said, you are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope that everything goes alright with you.

P.S. Don't get discoraged if something does go wrong. If people are talking to you just say something like, "excuse me, I have a little trouble with hearing, could you please speak up." That way, they know that you are listening.