PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on how to stop barking dogs

jazzcat
10-13-2004, 10:54 PM
I was talking to my brother tonight on the phone and he was telling me about their major problem. He has a blue tick coonhound, Bart, and Bart's son a blue tick/beagle mix named Kasey. His problem is his next door neighbor is complaining about the dogs barking at night. Apparently the neighbor never had a problem until he got remarried this summer and the new wife doesn't like the dog's barking.

The dogs have access to the garage and the fenced in back yard all the time and when the weather is bad they stay inside in the kitchen area but they prefer outside (they live in TX). Anyway, lately the dogs have been barking more, especially this week and the neighbor is threatening to call animal control. My brother is freaking out because they are coming here tomorrow night for the weekend and the other next door neighbor is taking care of the dogs but they will be in the garage or outside.

What can they do the stop the dogs from barking? There is a field that backs up to their property and the dogs are usually barking at the wildlife in the field.

Any suggestions are appreciated but leaving them inside all the time isn't an option.

Logan
10-13-2004, 11:06 PM
Daytime barking is bad enough, but nighttime barking is unacceptable if you have close neighbors. I, personally, think that the dogs must be kept indoors, at least during the nighttime hours to avoid them being a nuisance to the neighbors (of course, I couldn't sleep either if mine were barking). I don't know how your brother gets any sleep either if they are barking. Our 4 are kept in every night, whether we are at home or not. My petsitter comes and lets them inside, and then comes back the next morning to let them out when we have to be gone overnight. A couple of them prefer to stay in all the time!

I would take a neighbor's complaint really seriously, as they probably have some grounds to call animal control if the barking is excessive, especially during the nighttime hours. Sure wish I had a suggestion to "fix" the barking issue, but they are either bored or very curious of everything that they see (that's the way mine are).

Good luck.
Logan

jazzcat
10-14-2004, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the response Logan. That is what I told him to do - keep them in at night. He said that is what he does when they are barking but he has been out of town since last Thursday and his wife is a hard sleeper and will sleep right through their barking. He's really stressing because they are suppose to come here for a weekend visit and the other neighbors were going to feed them but that means a whole weekend of them being in the garage and yard at night. Also, they are going to Hawaii for a week in Nov. and he was going to have the other neighbor take care of them then. He says now he will have to board them but he doesn't have time to find a kennel for this weekend. He's thinking of canceling the trip here now. I guess we'll know in a few hours.

LorraineO
10-14-2004, 09:16 AM
Well when the wife goes to bed,, she ought to bring the dogs in for the night,, period! Sleeping hard is no excuse,,,, barking dogs at night are a real pain in the butt!!!! Perhaps if she keeps them in at night,, she will be awake to control it until it gets better...?

Logan
10-14-2004, 09:59 AM
Lorraine, I agree with you. It's just common courtesy, although I know the dogs probably LOVE to be outside, barking and running.

I will admit that one time, long ago, I left my dogs outdoors over two nights on a long weekend, with a petsitter I used to use, coming twice/day. I don't know why in the world we didn't have her do what my petsitter does now! :o Anyway, I had a terrible complaint from a neighbor who showed up very late at night at my door, not identifying herself, and giving me a fit, through the closed door, at 11 pm at night, about my dogs barking. She would NOT identify herself and I was so scared (lived alone with my daughter at that time). Several days later, when I was in the backyard, she came out on her deck and admitted that she was the one who came to my door. I quickly explained to her how sorry I was about the barking and that it wouldn't happen again, but that her method of letting me know was quite frightening and that I would gladly give her my phone number, or even a note in my mailbox would have sufficed. I was embarassed about the noise problem, but also terribly upset about her method of letting me know about it! I never did speak to that woman again (still don't even know her name), but her dog became a problem later, escaping her yard, coming into mine, and the poor little thing was terribly mistreated. A Yorkie, being put outside to stay all the time!!! That dog "disappeared" one day, after coming to my house one too many times, dirty and eager for attention. :p

I hope your brother will get this worked out, Jazzcat. It has to be driving him crazy, especially with him understanding that it truly is a problem for his neighbors. Wonder if a dose of Melatonin would help settle the dogs down a bit, either during the day or night? It's a natural supplement and might help. He might consult his vet about this. It was suggested to me to use on a rescue dog that needed to stay calm. 1 mg every 12 hours was what was suggested for a 70+ pound Golden Retriever. Also, I think he is right to consider boarding if he doesn't have someone who can bring them in at night, either crated or having a room to stay in, and let them back out in the morning. It can get quite expensive, for sure! I pay dearly for having someone I trust come to my home. It sure beats boarding them.

Logan

jazzcat
10-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Thanks Logan, I will tell him about the Melatonin.

His neighbors that take care of his dogs would probably be willing to put them in at night and let the out in the day. Those neighbors have three dogs of their own and my brother and they put a gate in their common fence and open it for all the dogs to play together. My brother says their three are part of the reason his two get so wired.

Logan
10-14-2004, 02:18 PM
Sorry that you got a full dose of "me" this morning, Jazzcat!!! :o

Keep us posted on how things go for your brother. I hope he can make the trip this weekend!!! :)