PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice PLEASE -- Cat chewing.

Kfamr
10-13-2004, 09:43 PM
My friend has two kittens, 6 months old.
They've been chewing holes in her socks and favorite sweaters.

She asked me of advice on what to do -- but I honestly have no idea. I suggested maybe "cat grass"

Any actual suggestions/advice to give her?

AmberLee
10-13-2004, 11:41 PM
Are the socks and sweaters wool? There is something that I can't quite remember about cats and wool.... Maybe this will trigger someone else's memory.

Barbara
10-14-2004, 03:20 AM
I have known cats sucking wool but not chewing (are you sure they aren't doggies ;)).

I would buy them toy mice. When Filou and Tigris were younger they really killed them- tearing the fur down and leaving only the plastic body with lots of tiny teeth holes in them.

And I would actively play with them and the toys. It's hard work to wear kittens out but it should help.

jenluckenbach
10-14-2004, 06:37 AM
they are probably getting their adult teeth and chewing more than they normaly would. Keep items put away that you do not want chewed and providing a variety of items to play and chew on should help.

catmandu
10-14-2004, 08:53 AM
I know,taht Siamese like to chew,on wool.You just have to keep those things away,as wool chewing,can be dangerous!

smokey the elder
10-14-2004, 10:30 AM
I know KoKo in The Cat Who... series chewed wool before Qwill got Yum Yum. :p ;)

lynnestankard
10-14-2004, 10:30 AM
Oh heck - yes Kay our RB - Kisi was a Meezer and she ATE wool.
It was unbelievable the stuff she chewed through in her 7 years.
Sweaters, scarves. hats. BLANKETS!!, gloves - literally anything she could lay her teeth on and in!!
We mentioned it to the vet and she said - yes she'd heard of it but had never met a wool chewing cat before!
It never harmed her - mind you the litter box was often a very colourful sight!!!
The girls learned at a very early age - DON'T leave anything on the floor!!

Lynne

lady_zana
10-14-2004, 10:43 AM
My Grey Girl is a wool-sucker. The vet said she does it because it was either in her genes or she had been weaned to early. Wool can get lodged in their little kitty guts so it may be best to take the wool away from them. Grey Girl now only sucks on cotton things, like blankets, and hasn't made holes in anything for a while now.