PDA

View Full Version : Kitty litter and dirt cake

neko1
10-13-2004, 06:24 PM
Help!!

Can someone please give me the directions on how to make the kitty litter cake and the dirt cake?

We are having a halloween party at work:)

Also, if anyone can think of any other food or general party related items, it would help:)

-michelle

Jods
10-13-2004, 06:26 PM
Kitty Litter not sure abotu the dirt though

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/dessert/cakes/cakeimg/kittylitter.jpg

Prepare cake mixes and bake according to directions (any size pans).

Prepare pudding mix and chill until ready to assemble.

Crumble white sandwich cookies in small batches in food processor, scraping often. Set aside all but about 1/4 cup. To the 1/4 cup cookie crumbs, add a few drops green food coloring and mix until completely colored.

When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble into a large bowl. Toss with half the remaining white cookie crumbs and the chilled pudding. Important: mix in just enough of the pudding to moisten it. You don't want it too soggy. Combine gently.

Line a new, clean kitty litter box. Put the cake/pudding/cookie mixture into the litter box.

Put three unwrapped Tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until soft and pliable. Shape ends so they are no longer blunt, curving slightly. Repeat with 3 more Tootsie rolls bury them in the mixture. Sprinkle the other half of cookie crumbs over top. Scatter the green cookie crumbs lightly on top of everything -- this is supposed to look like the chlorophyll in kitty litter.

Heat 3 Tootsie Rolls in the microwave until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake; sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Spread remaining Tootsie Rolls over the top; take one and heat until pliable, hang it over the side of the kitty litter box, sprinkling it lightly with cookie crumbs. Place the box on a newspaper and sprinkle a few of the cookie crumbs around for a truly disgusting effect!

Further notes: I had a reader write in saying this recipe only needed half the amount of pudding. I personally liked the cake with the amount given in this recipe. But feel free to use this as a loose guideline, use more or less as you see the need. Also, since the layer of cookies (with the chloropyll green specks, covers the top, you could really use any flavor or flavors or cakes underneath. Last but not least, you can also opt not to crumble the cakes, but rather layer them in the pan with the layers of pudding in between (much like you would layer a trifle into a trifle dish), sprinkle the top layer of pudding with a heavy layer of crumbled cookies. Same effect, different texture entirely to the dessert.

Jods
10-13-2004, 06:28 PM
found this online hope its what you want

You will need:

A regular sized package of Oreo (or Mint Oreo) cookies. For a variation in taste - add a half dozen mint cookies.
Small tub of Whipped cream Instant Pudding - Chocolate or Vanilla or whatever desired (For a big dirt cake use two or more packages)
Milk (for the instant pudding)
Gummy Worms (some stores offer this in the bulk/bins food section)
Directions:
Put the Oreo cookies in the freezer, at least overnight. This makes the cookies easier to blend in the blender to crush into a 'dirt like' substance. Make 'dirt' with the whole package.
Make up the Instant Pudding and add the whipped cream. I like to swirl the combo and not completely mix it.
OK - Put a layer of Oreo dirt in the bottom of the cake pan then a layer of pudding/cream mix. Now put the worms strategically in the pudding. Gross,... it looks so real!
Put another layer of pudding and Oreo dirt and then cover and put the cake in the refigerator for an hour or more. (This "worm" cake can be layered as many times as there are ingrediants.)
This is a no-stress dirt cake. Have fun making it, looking at it and eating it. Trick candles are fun for this type of cake, and vanilla ice cream on the side

Tonya
10-13-2004, 06:36 PM
FYI! Last year I burned the HECK out of my palms making the poops. You need to soften the tootsie rolls a tad, but use caution when rolling the poops. Sometimes the centers are surprisingly hot.

neko1
10-13-2004, 06:51 PM
Thanks so much!!:D

Cookiebaker
10-13-2004, 08:11 PM
Please take pictures when you make it! We wanna see!! ;)

sweet_stormy
10-13-2004, 08:57 PM
DIRT CAKE IS THE BEST DESSERT IN THE WORLD!!!!!

lol... sorry.... just had to do that.....

my mom makes dirt cake all the time... when ever my friends know that she's made some they all want some.... its really funny... lol.... we have that for parties instead of accual cake... :D

~*Becky*~

neko1
10-14-2004, 06:41 AM
About how long does it take to make the kitty litter cake? (prep time included?)

Oh yeah, and if I bake it on Sunday, will it still be "fresh" for a party on Thursday?

PJ's Mom
10-14-2004, 08:44 AM
Because of the pudding in the kitty litter cake, I wouldn't bake it that far in advance, but you could bake it, then wait until Wednesday night to put it all together. :)

Tonya
10-14-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
Because of the pudding in the kitty litter cake, I wouldn't bake it that far in advance, but you could bake it, then wait until Wednesday night to put it all together. :)

I made it the night before both times and it was awesome! It doesn't get soggy at all. The pudding sort of acts like a frosting almost.

It is pretty simple to make, it won't take you long. The longest part is the actual baking. Also, don't worry about the amount in the ingredients to much. It is almost impossible to screw up the kitty litter cake.