PDA

View Full Version : Does your state recycle plastics, paper, glass etc.?

Christiansmommy
10-13-2004, 05:42 PM
I moved from New Jersey, where it was mandatory that we recycle paper, glass, plastics. But Maryland doesn't demand it, it is optional. You would need to bring it to a place that recycles...we don't have a trash day for it.

Paul
10-13-2004, 06:06 PM
   In Massachusetts, each community handles trash and recycling differently. There are a few state laws that require the recycling of items such as televisions and CRTs. The state also requires a 5 cent deposit on certain bottles to encourage recycling.

The city we live in picks up recyclables on trash day. They also have a depot which will take items that are dropped off. Although, the city says separating recyclables is required, they also say 30% of households do not recycle.

Paul

Kater
10-13-2004, 09:28 PM
In Hawaii it is optional and we do not have a curbside recycling program currently in place.

Last I knew someone was working on a privately run curbside recycling program. This service would include a monthly subscription fee. My family would gladly pay the fee but wonder why Hawaii doesn't see the value in recycling when our "dumping space" is obviously very limited and expensive. :confused:

We do have "drop-off recycling bins" at various locations around the island. The problem with these is that they are often FULL and are not emptied regularly. Last month my Mom had a few months worth of newspaper in her car and visited 4-5 of these recycling centers only to find them all full or overflowing. :mad: She eventually gave up and trashed most of the newspaper. :( It is such a shame that Hawaii does not take this issue seriously. The attitudes here are so different from those I experienced in Wisconsin.

Logan
10-13-2004, 09:33 PM
There is no mandatory recycling program that I know of in SC. There ought to be. When I lived in the city limits, the recycle containers were supplied to us, and I noted that most people used them.

In the county, we are not provided trash service at all and we have to go through a private contractor to get it. I pay extra to have the ability to recycle. And I have noticed that of the six houses on our little circle, only two of us use the recycling program. That's a shame, isn't it?

popcornbird
10-13-2004, 09:38 PM
We're provided with recycle bins that we put out each week along with the trash, but I don't think its *required*. If you throw paper/plastic/glass/etc. in the trash can instead of the recycle bin, they'll take it as trash.

I do know that pretty much everyone uses their recycle bins in our neighborhood and recycles, but I don't think its required by law. At least there is no law that I'm aware of that REQUIRES you to recycle.

Christiansmommy
10-13-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Logan
There is no mandatory recycling program that I know of in SC. There ought to be. When I lived in the city limits, the recycle containers were supplied to us, and I noted that most people used them.

In the county, we are not provided trash service at all and we have to go through a private contractor to get it. I pay extra to have the ability to recycle. And I have noticed that of the six houses on our little circle, only two of us use the recycling program. That's a shame, isn't it?

I pay for trash removal too, but it doesn't include recycling. It is just so foreign to me to not HAVE to recycle, b/c in Jersey they were so strict about it. I am surprised so many don't have to...

Christiansmommy
10-13-2004, 09:45 PM
At least most of these towns seem to urge you to recycle, even if it isn't mandatory...but here, it isn't even an option, as far as, giving us recyling cans to put out...

slleipnir
10-13-2004, 11:45 PM
We have compost, waste, recycle 1 and 2 -_-