PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

DogLover9501
10-13-2004, 05:05 PM
My new girl likes to hide away(under the bed, behing the tv stand..etc)...

She also hasn't ate much(only some temptations), or used to litter box yet :eek: and she's been here for about 6+ hours. She did get a drink though.

Im thinking I should just give her time and let her hide, but I am worried about her not eating.

Should I try different food? Or try hand feeding her? Or just leave her alone?

lizzielou742
10-13-2004, 05:09 PM
Leave her alone. Neither Tito or Sophie were much interested in eating when I first brought them home. And neither one of them used the litterbox for the first two days.

Cats take a while to adjust. Let her hide too. Forcing her to come out from under a "safe" spot like a chair or bed will only make her defensive. Set some food out and fresh water. Most likely, she'll eat it tonight while you're asleep. ;)

How's Tigger doing with all this? Has new kitty got her shots/deworming yet?

aly
10-13-2004, 05:09 PM
Don't worry a bit! It is very, very normal for them to not eat right away in a new environment.

Just give her a couple days. On the third day of no eating, I'd start to get concerned.

Sometimes its easier if you start them out in a small room. Once they're used to that room, you can let them venture out into the house more. If they get scared, they will at least have a room to go to where they feel safer and more comfortable. You might already be doing that though.

Good luck and don't worry!

DogLover9501
10-13-2004, 05:12 PM
Thanks guys!

Yeah she is staying in my room for now, she hasn't really been out of it, only once to meet my grandparents upstairs.

Originally posted by lizzielou742
How's Tigger doing with all this? Has new kitty got her shots/deworming yet?

Tigger doesn't know yet LOL. Also she is going to the vet this Saturday morning :)

catlady1945
10-13-2004, 05:16 PM
Just leave her be and let her get used to the place on her own. Leave the food where she can get at it and she will eat when she's hungry. A lot of cats act like she is. I have only seen one walk in like he owned the place.

DogLover9501
10-13-2004, 05:53 PM
She ate!

She came out of her hiding spot, came to see me and then drank some water and ate some hard food :)

She is still out of her hiding spot and is sleeping peacefully on my bed :D

kt_luvs_kitties
10-13-2004, 08:29 PM
I read the other post here and decided not to comment, what they said was exactly what I wouldve said. So is Hilda *hates that name* lol going to be getting canned food, hard food, both? Or have you not decided yet? What toys did you get her? I am just curious. I know that she will fit perfectly with your family! and she is very beautiful! Congrats again!:D

DogLover9501
10-13-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by kt_luvs_kitties
I read the other post here and decided not to comment, what they said was exactly what I wouldve said. So is Hilda *hates that name* lol going to be getting canned food, hard food, both? Or have you not decided yet? What toys did you get her? I am just curious. I know that she will fit perfectly with your family! and she is very beautiful! Congrats again!:D

I think she'll be getting hard food only, atleast for now :)

Right now I got her some balls with bells in them and some little mice with bells on their tails, She'll be getting more toys tomorrow!

Also, I hate the name too LOL

slick
10-13-2004, 10:33 PM
When I first brought Max and Speckles home 7 yrs ago, Max hid behind the TV for the first 2 weeks. :eek: I think he'd come out to eat and use the LB when I was at work but every night he'd be hiding and nothing I would do could get him out. So I decided to ignore him. I stopped trying. In the next couple of days, he'd venture out, then all of a sudden it was like a light bulb went on for him. From then on, he's been my little purrbaby.

catmandu
10-14-2004, 09:01 AM
She,is too nervous,to eat,right now! Imagine yourself,in a New Plave,with Strange Giants,in a strange stuation,Time,and Quiet,will bring her out,and Cats,will not starve,they will eat,when ready! BoBo.when she came,hid,in a tiny place,in the Bathroom vanity,for ten days!

DogLover9501
10-14-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
Most likely, she'll eat it tonight while you're asleep. ;)

You were right ;)

Last night before I got in bed, I put more food and water down, this morning when I woke up almost all the food was gone LOL :D

smokey the elder
10-14-2004, 10:04 AM
If you pointedly ignore the cat, sometimes their curiosity will overcome fear, and they'll come to you!