PDA

View Full Version : What was your favorite era?

Miranda_Rae
10-13-2004, 03:41 PM
Another one of my pointless threads....lol :p I am really big into the 50's era so I was just wondering what other peoples favorite eras were...:)

I really like the clothes (and NO i don't dress like that in public, and neither at home!), the music, the movies, the cars, etc....fun fun! :D

Desert Arabian
10-13-2004, 03:44 PM
Big Civil War era fan here....

Miranda_Rae
10-13-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
Big Civil War era fan here....

The civil war era was really interesting too... :)

Desert Arabian
10-13-2004, 03:53 PM
The civil war era was really interesting too...

Yeah, I am a HUGE Civil War fan. My dad got me into it. He is a federally licensed gun collector, mainly focusing on the guns from that era. He also does reenactments and skirmishes every year and goes to the Nationals out East. I am looking into getting a handmade civil war dress to wear so I can do the reenactments with him. I love watching movies and reading books about that era too. One of my favorite Hollywood movies is Glory which depicts that era beautifully- the uniforms, muskets, and every thing else is incredibly historically accurate which makes the movie even better- plus my dad’s good friend was in that movie. There is a lot of personal family history from that era also, I had numerous ancestors who fought in the Civil War.

If I could travel to any time, I would travel back to that era and live in it for a while just to see exactly what it is like.

Miranda_Rae
10-13-2004, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I am a HUGE Civil War fan. My dad got me into it. He is a federally licensed gun collector, mainly focusing on the guns from that era. He also does reenactments and skirmishes every year and goes to the Nationals out East. I am looking into getting a handmade civil war dress to wear so I can do the reenactments with him. I love watching movies and reading books about that era too. One of my favorite Hollywood movies is Glory which depicts that era beautifully- the uniforms, muskets, and every thing else is incredibly historically accurate which makes the movie even better- plus my dad’s good friend was in that movie. There is a lot of personal family history from that era also, I had numerous ancestors who fought in the Civil War.

If I could travel to any time, I would travel back to that era and live in it for a while just to see exactly what it is like.

Wow! I have always wanted to go to a reenactment of the Civil War. I don't know a lot about the Civil War. :( I have read a few books on it though. I am sure that to be wounded in the Civil War would probably be the most painful, because they didn't have morphine or anything like that, or if they did have something of that sort, it probably would be a very small supply. What side did you family fight on? The North or South? Just curious. :) I have never seen that movie, "Glory." I know this isn't during the Civil War, but one movie that I really liked was "The Patriot"....have you seen that? I like that movie....its sad though. :( I think I would like to travel back to the 50's...I could see Johnny Cash in concert. :p

Desert Arabian
10-13-2004, 04:10 PM
If I remember correctly, we had ancestors fighting on the North and South side. When soliders got injured, let's say their arm, they could cut it off with out any drugs! (They show a scene in Glory where a guy is getting his leg cut off) I would not want to fight back then either! And to have to stop and reload that musket- it takes a long time- compared to the weapons we have today!

Yep, I love The Patriot too. Very sad. Mel and Heath were AWESOME in that movie.

Tonya
10-13-2004, 04:14 PM
The 50's. There was enough technology for me to survive, but it was so simple. It seemed so much more innocent and easy back then. Mom's stayed home, parents stayed married, etc...

Miranda_Rae
10-13-2004, 04:15 PM
If I remember correctly, we had ancestors fighting on the North and South side. When soliders got injured, let's say their arm, they could cut it off with out any drugs! (They show a scene in Glory where a guy is getting his leg cut off) I would not want to fight back then either! And to have to stop and reload that musket- it takes a long time- compared to the weapons we have today!

Yep, I love The Patriot too. Very sad. Mel and Heath were AWESOME in that movie.

I don't even know if we had ancestors fighting! Probably not cause we didn't live over in the New England area...we were the Pioneers. :p :rolleyes: I started to watch Dancing with Wolves one time, and I quit cause when his foot was all bloody and everything it REALLY grossed me out. *sigh* I can't handle that stuff. I probably would have a hard time loading a normal gun since I am so clumsy :o (which is a VERY bad thing if you have a loaded gun and you are clumsy:o )....but I DID take my hunter safety and I did pass. :D Yay!

I think its kind of cool when someone who shows off this real tough, brave, defender attitude sits and cries....its SO touching. :)

Miranda_Rae
10-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
The 50's. There was enough technology for me to survive, but it was so simple. It seemed so much more innocent and easy back then. Mom's stayed home, parents stayed married, etc...

Ditt on that! It was so...i dunno, happy maybe?

Desert Arabian
10-13-2004, 04:17 PM
OOOH! That movie is AWESOME! So is The Last of the Mohicans!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those two movies also! I cry every time I watch them. :p My dad thinks I need to see a mental doctor, ha ha.

And Gettysburg!!!! That's wonderful too!

Miranda_Rae
10-13-2004, 04:19 PM
OOOH! That movie is AWESOME! So is The Last of the Mohicans!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those two movies also! I cry every time I watch them. :p My dad thinks I need to see a mental doctor, ha ha.

And Gettysburg!!!! That's wonderful too!

LOL.....I will have to watch those now...I want to see whats so wonderful about them. :)

Amber
10-13-2004, 04:59 PM
The 70s

Samantha Puppy
10-13-2004, 05:11 PM
My whole family used to do Civil War reenactments. My dad and brother had the full wool uniform and my mom and I had the dresses. My parents are perfectionists so we were totally authentic... It was fun. Sometimes I miss doing it.

My current favorite time period is Shakespearean times and the 40's (WWII).

Lillycat
10-13-2004, 07:10 PM
i also agree tonya.......it was a simpler time and i do believe a happier time .....

carole
10-13-2004, 07:47 PM
I guess it would have to be the 70's and 80's because I was young then and I have some good memories of those times, I was a real disco fan, mainly the music, not the clothes, secretly I still am and would love to start a club for other disco fans.

Ahh those were the good ole days.:D

prechrswife
10-13-2004, 09:51 PM
I voted 80's because of the music. (For all children of the 80's, "The Wedding Singer" is a must-see movie.)

pitc9
10-14-2004, 08:48 AM
The Wedding Singer is a GREAT movie!!
I voted for the 80's! Because I ROCKED OUT!!! (LOL):D

I loved Poison, Warrent, Ratt, Guns-n-Roses I loved all the hair bands!!! I would go back to the 80's if I could and stay there!!

Oh the movies... St. Elmo's Fire, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Footloose Oh I could go on!!!

davidpizzica
10-14-2004, 09:24 AM
I ama fan of the fifties. I LOVE all of the fifties music, doo wop music from that era. And the cars! What I wouldn't give to own a '57 Chevy convertible!! A little expensive today around 60,000 tp 80,000 bucks!!

Miranda_Rae
10-14-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by david p
I ama fan of the fifties. I LOVE all of the fifties music, doo wop music from that era. And the cars! What I wouldn't give to own a '57 Chevy convertible!! A little expensive today around 60,000 tp 80,000 bucks!!

The cars rocked!!! :D I want a fifties car SOOO bad....they have "wings"!! :D Oh yeah, the music was the greatest!! Johnny Cash all the way!! :D :p :rolleyes:

davidpizzica
10-14-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Miranda_Rae
The cars rocked!!! :D I want a fifties car SOOO bad....they have "wings"!! :D Oh yeah, the music was the greatest!! Johnny Cash all the way!! :D :p :rolleyes: Are you a fan of Johnny Cash, too? I love anything he wrote and sang!

Miranda_Rae
10-14-2004, 09:47 AM
Are you a fan of Johnny Cash, too? I love anything he wrote and sang!

Oh my gosh! YES!!!! :D :D He's my favorite singer. Although I don't like country I *LOVE LOVE LOVE* his music and his books. He's the BEST! :D :D I wish I lived in the 50's so that I could go to one of his concerts. I didn't learn about him until after he died. :( :( Have you read his autobio "Man in Black"? great book! :D

davidpizzica
10-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Miranda_Rae
Oh my gosh! YES!!!! :D :D He's my favorite singer. Although I don't like country I *LOVE LOVE LOVE* his music and his books. He's the BEST! :D :D I wish I lived in the 50's so that I could go to one of his concerts. I didn't learn about him until after he died. :( :( Have you read his autobio "Man in Black"? great book! :D I did read "Man in Black" and Johnny Cash was just a phenominal indivual! If you can find the album "Johnny Cash at San Quentin" which I think is his greatest albums, it is VERY good!

Miranda_Rae
10-14-2004, 09:59 AM
I did read "Man in Black" and Johnny Cash was just a phenominal indivual! If you can find the album "Johnny Cash at San Quentin" which I think is his greatest albums, it is VERY good!

I think I have seen that one around. I have this one CD (ok 2 CDs) its a set, and it has 36 songs on it. :D Yep, he is AWESOME!!! Have you read his last autobio? I haven't yet, but I will when I get a chance. :)

Christiansmommy
10-14-2004, 11:04 AM
I would say the 40's and 50's. Time seemed to be so NOT fast paced....and as someone said, just happy, and innocent. I love watching the movie Back to the Future...the 50s one...seemed like such a cool time to be alive :) I must admit though, the 80's were great too, i was a child then, and things were so easy then...no responsibilty. But i agree with Tonya, familes stayed together,and most moms seemed to be stay at home moms...seemed like such a nice era...