PDA

View Full Version : My baby girl needs PT prayers!! :(

BCBlondie
10-13-2004, 01:05 PM
Two years ago, Megan had struvite bladder stones and a urinary tract infection. I've been really paranoid about her getting them again, so every now and then I try to feel her bladder area to see if I don't feel anything.

Recently, she's been straining a lot, especially when we go to the park. Over the weekend, I felt her bladder, and I SWORE I felt something hard in there. So Monday morning, I called Megan's vet and scheduled an appointment. This morning I just took her in to give her a checkup and make sure she's doing okay because I was worried about my girl.

The vet felt her bladder, and then I could hear the stones hitting each other. :( :( So my baby has bladder stones again, and possibly also a UTI. I'm so crushed. I'm crying, and I have to be in work in 30 mins. She's staying at the vet today to get an x-ray and urinalysis and blood work to make sure her kidneys are still functioning normally.

I asked the vet what's causing her to get these stones and what I can do to prevent them from happening once again, and she said the cause is probably from bad genes. :( I'm not surprised, and I'm very angry. Megan came to me from my stupid aunt, who BYB her petshop puppy to my grandma's petshop puppy. Neither of those two dogs were show quality, so I wouldn't be surprised if they came from other BYB's or even puppymills. A week after the pups were born, the mother dog died.

The vet said that we're going to try to get rid of the stones by dissolving them with special food - s/d. Megan's going to have to be on that diet for about 6 months, and possibly for life. The diet is pretty expensive.

Starting her treatment, it's already $365. Later it will probably rise a lot. We're going to try to dissolve them, and if that doesn't work, we may have to go to surgery. The vet wants to see how big the stones are, where they're located, and how many there are. I just paid $200 off, but now I only have $2 in my checking account. :( Luckily, I have a job, but it's only a part time job, so the vet was nice enough to let me go on a payment plan. But I already owe my parents $800 for school (I'm trying to pay off school myself), plus I need to pay for gas for my car because my school is 30mins from my house, going on the freeway.

I'm just soooo stressed and worried and upset. :( :( :( :(

Please, please, please keep my girl in your thoughts and prayers. She's the best dog I've ever had, and we are so bonded. I love her soo much and I don't know what I'd do without her.

Thank you.

molucass
10-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Lots of prayers and good thoughts coming your way Di!!

I hope that the diet is able to dissolve them and she won't have to go through surgery!

The furkids and I will have our paws and fingers crossed.

**HUGS**

Jods
10-13-2004, 01:15 PM
Oh no!! Prayers on the way... Get well soon!

pitc9
10-13-2004, 01:22 PM
Poor thing!!:(

Prayers & hugs on the way!

PJ's Mom
10-13-2004, 01:25 PM
Oh no! :( Prayers and crossed paws for a safe and speedy recovery.

AmberLee
10-13-2004, 01:37 PM
Prayers on the way. Fingers and paws crossed here for you both.

RobiLee
10-13-2004, 01:38 PM
Oh gosh, I don't even know what to say. My heart goes out to you during this difficult time. I will keep you and Megan in my thoughts and prayers.

Hang in there.

{{{Big Hugs}}}........Robin

momoffuzzyfaces
10-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Prayers on the way for you both.

Samantha Puppy
10-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Poor Megan... Thoughts and prayers coming to you from praying hands and paws.

cyber-sibes
10-13-2004, 01:48 PM
You'll be in my prayers!
Just want to share my experience, similar to yours... About 11 years ago my cat needed surgery for an impacted bowel (they removed the last foot of it), or he had to be put to sleep. I was recently divorced and had two kids, my mother died 6 weeks earlier, I had just been laid off from my job, and had lost my own health insurance. A very dear friend offered to cover the surgery cost, and my vet arranged for students to do the surgery (since I could be home to do his after-care) to save alot of money. But they told me he'd need litterboxes all over the house and would be on medication and a special diet for the rest of his life. He is now 15 years old, has been off meds for quite a while, eats regular food, and almost never misses his one litterbox - he's a miracle! God knows how much we need the love of our furry friends, and I'll be praying you'll get your miracle, too! Hang in there!

sandra4pets
10-13-2004, 02:08 PM
I will pray for you!!

robinh
10-13-2004, 02:33 PM
Prayers and good wishes coming your way. Get well soon Megan!

jazzcat
10-13-2004, 02:40 PM
Prayers on the way!

ComedyDevil
10-13-2004, 03:23 PM
Oh Megan you poor thing :( You've got a Mommy who cares a lot about you so I'm sure you'll be feeling better soon! All paws crossed here for you and prayers on their way :)

DJFyrewolf36
10-13-2004, 03:55 PM
Prayers on the way, get better soon Megan girl!

tatsxxx11
10-13-2004, 04:28 PM
Poor Megan:( What a difficult time for your sweet girl and for you! Lots of heartfelt prayes and well wishes for you and for little Megan. Please keep us updated. We're thinking of you. Lots of {{{HUGS}}} Sandra

Cazi
10-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Poor Megan, I'll be thinking of her.

chocolatepuppy
10-13-2004, 04:32 PM
Poor Megan :( I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

BitsyNaceyDog
10-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Oh Megan, I hope you feel better soon. My moms yorkie had stones too and he had to have surgery. I know it's no fun. I hope the s/d will take care of it. You are in my prayers.
Is Monica from the same litter? Has she ever had any problems with stones?

Holly's mom
10-13-2004, 06:39 PM
I hope Megan gets better soon. My RB Springer, Freckles was diagnosed with "crystals" in her urine when she was about 5 years old. These crystals can form stones, so she was put on Science Diet C/D for the rest of her life (she lived until she was 12 years old). There were several times the vet suspected she might have a stone (she had many bladder infections the last two years of her life), and she was temporarily put on S/D, but then switched back to the C/D. The C/D is a hard dog food, the S/D is a canned dog food.

{{Hugs}} to you and Megan, I hope she is feeling better soon!

dukedogsmom
10-13-2004, 06:49 PM
Very sad to hear this. I hope the treatment will be successful. I'm glad you have an understanding vet who will let you make payments. I know it must be hard to have to go to work under these conditions. I hope Megan is home and well soon.

sabies
10-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Lots of good thoughts heading your way! Get well soon Megan.

captain
10-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Prayers and HUGS coming your way!!!

Kater
10-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Not sweet Megan! Oh no! :( She will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers. I'm hoping that the s/d will solve the problem. Please keep us updated!
{{{{BIGS HUGS}}}} during this stressful time!

BCBlondie
10-13-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by KBlaix
Is Monica from the same litter? Has she ever had any problems with stones?
Yes, Monica is also from the same litter, but she got lucky.. no stones for her.

Update:
I just got home from work. I had asked my dad to pick Megan up from the clinic because I don't get off work until 6:30ish and the clinic closes at 6 (dad gets home around 5). I just went up to him to ask what the vet and x-rays said, and he told me, "It's not good news..." He didn't say much because he's watching the debate now :rolleyes: , but he said she has 8 or 9 stones, and that they're going to have to be surgically removed. :( :( :( :( My poor baby :( :( I'm so, so, so crushed. I already know the surgery will cost a lot. I can't stop crying. I'm so stressed. Why does Megan have to have this problem? She never did anything wrong. She's such a good dog, and the best friend I've ever had. Why, why, why :( :( :(
For now, Megan's on Baytril once a day for the next two weeks. I don't know yet when we're going to have the surgery.. :(

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, everyone. It really means a lot to me (and Megan of course).

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-13-2004, 09:18 PM
I am so sorry to hear this:( We'll have our fingers and paws crossed here for you:( I don't even know what to say, get better soon Megan.

Kater
10-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Oh no! This is not what I was hoping to hear. :( I will continue to keep sweet Megan in my thoughts and prayers.
Please give her a gentle hug for me.

BCBlondie
10-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Another update:

I just talked to my dad.
He said that the vet showed him the x-rays, and although the stones aren't as large as her other three were, she has 8 or 9 of them, and even to my dad, just the sight of it was horrifying to him because the stones were that big and so many of them in such a small dog. :(
The vet also said that she highly recommends surgery. She said that if Megan only had one or two smaller stones, maybe the food can dissolve them, but with the amount and size of the ones she has now, if we wait any longer, one might move out of the bladder and get stuck somewhere and then she'd end up in a critical situation. :( :(
She gave my dad an rough estimate of $1,200 for the surgery. :eek: :( :( :(
She also said she can do the surgery as soon as possible, like tomorrow or Friday. I don't want to take the chance of Megan ending up in critical care, so I think I'm going to just go for the surgery. I really hope they're going to let me pay it off bit by bit.. It will take me at least 5 months to pay it all off though. :( :(
I've had a headache all day today and it's just getting worse. I keep crying and I'm so worried about my little girl. I love her so much and just the thought of her being in pain and possibly ending up in a critical condition or dying kills me.
Please continue to keep us in your prayers and thoughts.
Thank you so much.
:(

AmberLee
10-13-2004, 11:55 PM
Bummer... I was hoping for better news, too. At least there is hope and your vet's been open to payment plans...

{{{Hugs and prayers for you both}}}

popcornbird
10-14-2004, 03:26 AM
Oh my gosh!!! :( Poor Megan. :( Poor you!!!

I'll be praying for your baby girl and hope all goes well with her.

{{{hugs}}} to you. Please keep us updated!!!

pitc9
10-14-2004, 07:23 AM
Oh No... I am so sorry to hear the news...

I pray everything goes well!

*~ Hugs *~ to you and Megan!

LorraineO
10-14-2004, 07:29 AM
Sending you and your baby good thoughts and wishes...... and of course,,, PT prayers!!

trayi52
10-14-2004, 08:26 AM
Oh no, Di! I am so sorry to hear that Megan is feeling so poorly!

Sending lots of prayers, good thoughts and tons of hugz to you and Megan!

Willie

BCBlondie
10-14-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks again for your kind words.

Update:
I just scheduled an appointment for the surgery. She's going to get it done Friday. They may or may not need to keep her overnight. The tech that scheduled the appointment said that they're understaffed today and already have three surgeries, but they're overstaffed on Friday and have no surgeries scheduled, so she said Friday would be better so that they can spend more time on Megan. I just want what's best for my girl. :(
I couldn't sleep last night, and when I did I actually had a dream (well, more like a nightmare I guess) about Megan and her surgery. :( I can't concentrate on homework, I can't think, I don't want to do anything, and I just feel so crushed. It's all I have on my mind now. *sighs*
Megan's sleeping on my bed now.. She's doing fine. She's still her really happy self. Poor thing doesn't know what's coming tomorrow. :( At least she'll have the stones removed though... maybe she'll be less in pain and feel more comfortable.

Please continue keeping my girl in your thoughts and prayers so that her surgery goes well tomorrow.

Thank you all so much.. you don't know how much I appreciate it.

dappledoxie
10-14-2004, 10:08 AM
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that, poor girl. They almost thought Claire had bladder stones but luckily she didn't, I know it made me scared to death! Good luck Diana, I really hope that it all works out and I hope Megan is ok very soon. Hugs! and keep us updated on the little girl.

tatsxxx11
10-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Lots of prayers and positive thoughts coming your way precious Megan. I'm so sorry she has to go through the surgery Di:( But it sure does sound like it's necessary and should be done asap:(:(:( Sounds like you have a great vet there, so put your trust in her and try to be strong...hard I know. But we're all here for you! Please keep us updated. {{{HUGS}}} to you dear Megan. Sandra

BitsyNaceyDog
10-14-2004, 11:44 AM
I'm sorry to hear that she needs surgery.
Megan, you're in my prayers baby girl.

wolf_Q
10-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. Poor girl. :( Prayers on the way for Megan, I hope everything will be ok with her!!

slick
10-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Prayers on the way for sweet Megan. I hope everything goes well tomorrow.

cloverfdx
10-14-2004, 11:34 PM
Prayers on the way for sweet Megan and for you too Di :(. Get well soon sweety. I hope the food will help with the stones, and that Megan feels much better soon.

{{Hugs}}

GoldenRetrLuver
10-14-2004, 11:43 PM
Oh, I remember when you told me this on AIM. :(

Poor Megan.. I hope everything goes fine with the surgery. Prayers and good thoughts on the way! {{big hugs}} to Megan and you, Di. :)

BCBlondie
10-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Update:
*sighs* Well, I just dropped her off at the vet's. :( She's having surgery today. The techs said there's a 99.9% chance she's going to have to stay the night there too (which I'm sort of happy about because then I can pick her up myself and talk to the vet tomorrow, instead of having my dad pick her up again). They showed me her x-rays, and wow... my poor baby :( He bladder is FILLED with stones.. :( :( It looked so bad. I can't believe my Megan has something like that. She's always so happy.

Please send her good thoughts for her surgery. I hope everything goes well. I'm so worried about her.. :(

robinh
10-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Lots and Lots of prayers for Megan!! Just dropping Kirby off for a haircut was hard this morning. I can't imagine dropping one off for surgery. Prayers and hugs for you too.

micki76
10-15-2004, 03:02 PM
I don't know HOW is missed this thread! :o

I hope all is going well at the V E T today. Poor baby.

Chester had several stones removed from his bladder and urethra in January of this year. He has an appointment in two weeks to check his urine and get x-rayed to make sure his aren't reforming.

Good thoughts for Megan!

Jods
10-15-2004, 03:08 PM
more prayers are being sent for Megan.... Hope everything went well with the surgery... :(

Amber
10-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Aww, sending positive thoughts, and prayers for Megan.

primabella
10-15-2004, 04:51 PM
I am so sorry to hear about this Di.

:( Keeping your sweet Meg in my prayers. :(

AmberLee
10-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Prayers continuing. Any news yet, or is it too early?

BCBlondie
10-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Update:

The vet called while I was at work today and left a message. She said that all the stones are removed so Megan's feeling a little sore, but should be feeling better soon. They're keeping her overnight on fluids. I get to pick her up tomorrow morning, as well as some canned s/d food.

I'll take some pictures of her tomorrow too, so you guys can see my poor girl and all the gruesome-ness. :p Maybe I get to keep some of the stones too. (Last time, I got to keep two out of the three... and I still have them lol)

Thanks again sooo much for your thoughts and prayers.

GoldenRetrLuver
10-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Glad the surgery went well! I'm sure Megan will feel better once she's back home with you. :)

Canis Amicus
10-16-2004, 08:19 AM
My best wishes for Megan's recovery.

wolfie
10-19-2004, 09:35 AM
get well soon Megan girl!

cloverfdx
10-19-2004, 10:28 AM
I am so glad to hear the surgery went well, sending get well thoughts and prayers little Megans way.

cyber-sibes
10-19-2004, 11:09 PM
Hope you & Meagan get back to normal quick as a wink! ;)

shais_mom
10-30-2004, 11:58 PM
I am soooo sorry that you are going thru this and I totally totally missed it!!
sheesh!
I will keep you and Megan in my thoughts and prayers - for a full recovery and ease of the finances for you!! {{hugs}}