PDA

View Full Version : How many Meowmies leave kitties alone during day?

cruisetime
10-13-2004, 12:35 PM
I work and so does hubby so kitty is all alone during the day. I post from work when boss is gone!! :) :) So how many of you leave your kitties all day - or do you get to be with them? Debbie

christa
10-13-2004, 12:42 PM
I work at home so I'm one of the lucky ones! :) I love being with my kitty during the day. Although she sleeps most of the day!

Samantha Puppy
10-13-2004, 12:43 PM
When/if I ever get my kitties, they will be home with my husband and Samantha for majority of the next 6-7 weeks (hubby is working from home). However, when the project he's working on ends, they will be left home alone with Samantha. I'm glad that my husband will be around most of the time while they're new though.

And, well, that's *if* I get them. :rolleyes:

nibblets
10-13-2004, 12:46 PM
I work and my son is in school most days, which leaves kitty and doggy home alone. I leave at 7:30 am and they are alone until about 2:45 when my son gets home from school. The two of them sleep all day whether we are home or not so it isn't a big deal for them.

lizzielou742
10-13-2004, 12:55 PM
I work 8 am - 5 pm, Monday through Friday. My babies are alone from 10 am (most mornings) when my boyfriend goes to work, until 5 pm when I get home, unless I go home for my lunch break from 12 pm - 1 pm. Some days, my boyfriend doesn't go in until noon (lucky) so he gets extra kitty time those days. They're asleep in the same spots every day when I get home. Must be nice! :)

RedHedd
10-13-2004, 01:13 PM
They're alone from 7:30 a.m. until about 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Mostly they just sleep, although I have (rarely) seen evidence of playing occurring in my absence. I'm usually greeted by two hungry meowlers at the door.

jazzcat
10-13-2004, 01:29 PM
I help take care of my Dad who lives about 35 miles away so I have to leave my guys alone about 3 days a week on average but sometimes when he is doing well and the lady we hired to help can work 5 days a week I only have to leave them a couple of days a week. I'm usually gone 6-7 hours at a time but sometimes when dad has a dr. appt. or tests it can be a very long day until hubby gets home from work.

AmberLee
10-13-2004, 01:32 PM
I tell the kids that Meowmy is going to work to earn money for kibble and play toys as I walk out the door. Sometimes they even lift their heads off the pillows/blankets to listen to me blather.

I do try to tell them ahead of time on days that I'll be late -- shopping or gym workouts or visits to friends. I don't really think they understand completely, but maybe on some level it reassures them??? Or it reassures me, I guess. :o

NoahsMommy
10-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Amberlee, you're so cute! :) I do the same thing. Each time I leave the apartment, I tell the cats where I'm going and when I'll be back. If I'm going to be gone all day, I put one of them in charge of the others. ;)

I'm usually home until about 11:30 during the week, as I start work or school at 12:00p. David will usually get home before I do, so they're only home alone for less than 6 hours. I don't think they mind us leaving for work, its when we don't come home till later do they miss us.

On weekends and days like today (David's sick and I'm playing hookey from school to take care of him) I can tell the cats enjoy us at home. I know when David goes to take a nap, the kitties will enjoy someone to cuddle up with during their normal naptimes. ;)

mina'smomma
10-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Mina is alone from 3:00 when my fiance leaves for work until 5:00 p.m. when I get home.

cruisetime
10-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Funny story about a kind of cat - well racoons really. When we were camping last Christmas we stayed in the RV and communted to work - we wouldn't be back to see our coon friends till around 8pm the next night after stopping by the house so we told them that "we won't be back till 8pm tomorrow night ok?" and the next night we got to the RV and there were about 5 coons running up to us and standing on the hind legs and looking saying "we're here - it's 8pm - you're home!" hahaha I really think they all understand us - it is just us that don't understand them.... :) Debbie

trinity
10-13-2004, 02:29 PM
Due to the distance between work and home, our herd is alone for about 12 hours a day...I hate it but it can't be avoided. We make sure when we get home to spend some time with each one of them. And as a few others have said, when we are home they spend most of the time sleeping anyway....

catlady1945
10-13-2004, 03:06 PM
I leave mine. We have multiple cats so that they won't be lonely. However, my son spent the day at our house a month ago while waiting for his car to be repaired and he said that Ginger spent the day beside the door waiting. I'm not sure if she misses me or she's waiting for food.

prechrswife
10-13-2004, 09:21 PM
Ours are home alone for most of the day, although my husband's work allows him to be in and out of the house all day. He sometimes works at home and sometimes at his office.

Felicia's Mom
10-13-2004, 09:52 PM
I take the bus, and my cats are left alone from 6am to 5pm.

Kater
10-13-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
Amberlee, you're so cute! :) I do the same thing. Each time I leave the apartment, I tell the cats where I'm going and when I'll be back. If I'm going to be gone all day, I put one of them in charge of the others.;)
Amberlee and Kelly - you two are too cute!

My Dad is retired now so Nipo isn't home alone very often. Before he was retired he would come home for lunch during the week, so she has never stayed alone for a full working day. Man, those two are SO BONDED! It's adorable. :D

Logan
10-13-2004, 11:12 PM
I work from home too, and today it was a good thing because a bird got into an open door and so we had a wild bird, in the house, a prime target for my two cats!!!! :eek: Thankfully, after many hours in the house, my daughter was able to help me get it out, safely. Whew!

I do have to travel periodically, and my pets have to stay at home, alone, then, but I have never worried about them. Cats are such independent creatures anyway, and they have 4 dogs to keep them company. I notice that they hang pretty close, especially Butter, when I am at home, though. :)

slleipnir
10-13-2004, 11:16 PM
When Kiba lived with mom, mom worked A LOT during the summer..I mean up to 15+ hour shifts sometimes..so I stayed there so she wouldn't be alone..but once school started I couldn't stay there anymore so the kits were alone while mom worked (luckly not many of those long shifts..only fridays 10:30am-1-3am shift!!!) so that is why kiba is living with me now. I only have one 50 min class 3 days a week so she's not alone much. Mind you I do have to leave my room sometime so she's alone for short periods then..she usually sleeps though and is hyper at night when i want to sleep :p

shais_mom
10-13-2004, 11:39 PM
I work 3-1130 and my 3 are left alone during that time.
Kloe being little stays in the bathroom so far, but Keegan and Kylie have the run of the house tho when I get home Keegan is usually in the kitchen right in front of the door or in the bedroom right in front of the door.

Don Juan's mom
10-14-2004, 12:12 AM
When I do land some temp work, I explain to Don Juan that I need to go to work so I can keep a roof over his head and food in his bowl.

He's always in his daytime sleep spot (the top of his climbing tower) when I get home, but he'll see me through the window and come meet me at the door.

Liz

catcrazylady
10-14-2004, 06:02 AM
Mine are all home alone from 6:00am until 5:15pm. They have gotten used to this and they sleep most of that time (I think). I wish with all my heart that I could be a stay at home kitty mom but if they want to eat it aint gonna happen!!;) :D

catnapper
10-14-2004, 08:15 AM
I work from home, but my boys have become my secretaries... getting in my way, ploping on the paperwork! :D Trust me, I learned that if I have a meeting plannedat my house, to let the other people know to expect a cat or two to be sitting in on the meeting too... and I mean in ON the meeting.

When I worked in an office all day, I used to leave telling the boys to "behave"- that was my little goodbye to them... I'd kiss them on their foreheads and say "you behave now while mommy's gone."

catmandu
10-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Now,that I am a geezer,and retired,the Cats,are with me,21 or 22 hours,a day,maybe a little more,if I have medical Appointments!

sirrahbed
10-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Thankfully - since we are now sorta "retired" I am a stay-home kitty mom.:D I love it!!! They do sleep most of the day though so I am not sure those of you who are gone all day are really missed too much:eek: Most of their playtime is in the evening anyway - late night being the very best:D

When I do go out for errands - I always tell them goodbye, put on the radio (they insist on country music;) ) and like several of you said - I put one in charge and tell them all to behave. I love to come home because there is always someone sleepy looking who will greet me at the door:) Usually Dylan.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
I wish with all my heart that I could be a stay at home kitty mom but if they want to eat it aint gonna happen!!;) :D

That's what I keep telling Peanut when she gives me "the look" as I walk out the door every morning! :D :D And I know they both sleep all day because that's what they do on the weekends even though I'm there. T & P have always been "home alone" during the day until I moved in with Terry. Now there are some days where he works out of the house so they have some company, but he says they sleep all day too. They might move from one spot to another (for Tubby it depends on where the sun moves to), but for the most part they just sleep. Then again....they're old, so I'd be surprised if they did anything but sleep. ;) :rolleyes: :D

LaRana
10-14-2004, 03:11 PM
I Leave Mr. Loki at home from 7:30-5:15 pm every weekday. Every time we come home he's there to greet us right at the door with his sweet, purring, meowing little face :)