PDA

View Full Version : How much milk does your household use?

Tonya
10-13-2004, 09:21 AM
My son drinks a ton of milk, so I just started keeping track of how much he uses. We use 2 to 2 1/2 gallons a week! At $4.00-$5.00 a gallon, that's $8.00-$10.00 a week, $32.00-$40.00 a month!!! :eek: I need to buy a cow!

PJ's Mom
10-13-2004, 09:23 AM
LOL

Even with 4 teenagers in the house, we only go through 1-2 gallons a week. :)

teenster3
10-13-2004, 09:32 AM
Unfortunately, I usually end up throwing away half a gallon. My husband will not drink it but only use it in foods. I drink it once in awhile but not very often. I should probably drink more though. You pay $4.00-$5.00 a gallon??? At the store where I work it's only $2.49-$2.69.

Samantha Puppy
10-13-2004, 09:46 AM
www.notmilk.com

I really don't care for milk that much and only drink it willingly when eating chocolate chip cookies, brownies or cake. My husband loves it though and he polishes off a gallon in about 5-6 days. Speaking of which, I just used the last of it last night to make pudding so he needs to get some more on his way home!

pitc9
10-13-2004, 09:48 AM
My hubby and I drink milk with dinner, we always have both Chocolate and white milk in the fridge. I would say we go through a 1/2 gallon of each a week. So about a gallon a week.

1/2 gallon of Chocolate milk is $2.49
1/2 gallon of 2% milk is $1.99.

Wow... looking at the price difference now that I typed it out....why don't we just buy chocolate syrup to put in our white milk!?!? :confused: (duh Angie...):o

Tonya
10-13-2004, 10:03 AM
Gosh! Milk is so expensive out here isn't it?! I believe I paid $4.65 a gallon the other day. I need to analyze this situation! Listening to you all, we should not be going through 2 gallons a week! I am drinking alot more milk then I usually do, but it doesn't seem like that much.

slick
10-13-2004, 10:12 AM
8-10 litres per week, skim milk only. I have no idea what that is in gallons but I buy 2 big jugs per week at least.
Milk is my one food addiction, literally.
I drink at least three glasses during the night and another two before going to work. I literally cannot go through 24 hours without a glass of skim milk. Maybe I need a 12 step program.:eek:

edit: just looked it up on the net and that would be 2.64 gallons (all by myself) :eek:

jazzcat
10-13-2004, 10:25 AM
It's just my husband and I here and we go through 3 gallons a week. I only drink water, milk and sometimes juice so we really chug through it.

Christiansmommy
10-13-2004, 11:08 AM
We typically drink a lot of milk here. Just my hubby and I and our 3 year old...a gallon a week. Probably used to be more, but we are on the South Beach diet, and it is a "no no" in the the first part of the diet, anyway. But we are a family that LOVES our milk. I think it is like $3.50 here for a gallon.

slleipnir
10-13-2004, 11:16 AM
12 liters a week..so I guess it's roughly 3 gallons o_O We drink a lot of milk.

Jods
10-13-2004, 11:41 AM
We don't drink alot of milk we use it mostly for cooking or when Brian's sisters come over thats all they drink... I've been trying to drink one glass a day.... I'm not doing very well though lol.. I would say 2 liters a week... Just a small carton not the bags... for 3 liters I think it's about 4$ not sure though will check though for curiosity sake

lizzielou742
10-13-2004, 11:48 AM
We're lucky if we can get through a gallon without it going bad at my house. Not big milk drinkers - unless I bake chocolate chip cookies!! :D

DJFyrewolf36
10-13-2004, 11:52 AM
We go through about a gallon a week, sometimes more. Most of the time, I subsist on milk (stupid me gets so busy I forget to eat :p )

I think everyone in my house gets like 1/4 a gallon and I guzzle the rest lol. Its helpful for both me and my hubbys stomach issues though.

We only pay 3.00 at the most per gallon here, and I thought that was a rip off!

LoudLou
10-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Can I just tap a vein and main line it frm the cow? ;) I am the only milk drinker here, unless you count the times that Miss Mocha Bean hijacks my glass of milk? I go through 1-2 gallons of milk every other day.:o Sometimes more, sometimes less, but on average thats about it. I have always loved milk.

cali
10-13-2004, 12:23 PM
lol depnds what we have to cerial, and what people feel like eating :p we never throw away milk, bad or not, when it goes bad, we make finnish pancakes(the more sour the milk, the better the pancakes taste! I know it sounds gross, but not a single person who has tried them does not love them :p) nobody in my house drinks milk alone, we buy both skim, and 2%, mostly we use milk in cerial, and I will drink it with chocolate cookies, otherwise I find milk to be gross lol so lets see about 6 liters will last us all about 2-3 weeks, 6 because my mom buys a 2 liter carton for me, and a 4 liter jug for herself and my brother. :p

BitsyNaceyDog
10-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Justin and I drink about a gallon a week of skim milk. I love store bought chocolate milk, but don't buy it too often, I can go through a gallon of it in 2 days easy.

Kfamr
10-13-2004, 01:22 PM
We normally end up pouring out a 4th of the gallon. I only having cravings for milk sometimes, like with something very chocolatey.
My dad RARELY drinks anything but Pepsi/Coke. :rolleyes:
My mom normally uses it for cooking, sometimes a glass.

I really don't like the taste of milk/texture. Alot of dairy makes my throat all cloggy, especially milk.

CathyBogart
10-13-2004, 01:36 PM
My family goes through a lot of milk (3-4 gallons a week) but I only really use it for baking. I prefer to get calcium in my diet through veggies. :)

popcornbird
10-13-2004, 03:35 PM
We usually buy 3 gallons of milk a week....2 lowfats, and 1 nonfat. That's for a family of 4...I must say I drink the most though. :o I *love* milk. My mom sometimes makes cheese or yogurt out of one of the lowfat gallons, so we don't exactly *drink* all of it, but we do *use* all of it. My parents use milk in their tea too. I don't remember EVER throwing milk away. We end up throwing sodas allll the time....but never milk. I *have to* drink milk everyday, or my day is not complete. :p I usually drink one glass a day....sometimes 2. When I was younger, it had to be at least 3 glasses a day. :o

MariaM
10-13-2004, 05:46 PM
Family of 5 here...we go through 4 or 5 four litre jugs a week...so that's 16-20 litres.:p