PDA

View Full Version : CGC Test!!

bckrazy
10-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Well, in downtown Sac this Saturday they're having a Mongrel Mash, like a Halloween-themed dog run to support the SPCA, and our Obedience school is holding a demonstration and they asked me and Gonzo to be in it!! along with, like, all of the trainers and their dogs! :D :D they said that since we're doing it they will pay for free CGC testing that day, so we signed up for that too. Oh my gawd I am nervous!! I've talked to everyone I know who has had it done... I know Gonzo can do all of that stuff, but I'm worried that *I* will mess something up or he will get scared by something. Has anyone here passed the CGC, or had it done?? I could definately use some advice... a lot of advice, please! ^__~

Oh, and, part of the reason I am so insanely nervous is because this really nice lady from our Obedience has a gorgeous Golden boy, he is sooo sweet and just does everything perfectly in class. And she wanted to get him into being a therapy dog, so she took him to get tested.. she said there was a man as part of the test, with a dark robe and a walker who ran up to them yelling, and her dog growled softly and they told her that he failed and could never take the test again because he was aggressive. I'm not totally sure what Gonzo would do, he'd probably just kind scrunch down and try to hide behind me ;) but I'm afraid we'll be banned like that dog...

BCBlondie
10-12-2004, 09:42 PM
I'm sure Gonzo will do just great! ^_^

I don't think Sesh would ever pass the test because he's scared of people he doesn't know. :( I'm hoping Agility classes will help build his confidence at least...

wolf_Q
10-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Nebo passed the CGC test. I dont think the trainer was nearly as strict as it sounds like this person is though. I don't know if he would be able to pass it again, I'd have to work with him for a while. Nebo doesn't usually like strangers either, he rarely growls he's more just frightened of them.

Cincy'sMom
10-12-2004, 11:59 PM
All three of our dogs have taken the CGC/TDI tests and passed on their first try. The first and hardest thing, is to relax yourself. Your dog will sense if you are stressed or nervous and will react the same way. Be calm, know that your dog can do it, and you should be fine.

The other thing to do, is work with your dog where there are lots of distractions go to a park, or a pet store, and practice your commands. Get your dog used to listening when there are other things going on.

I can't believe that the woman with the golden was told she could never take the test again. I would find out if there are other people in the area who do the testing...it was my understand the dogs could take it over, unless they bit someone...or showed severe signs of aggresions.

LorraineO
10-13-2004, 12:11 PM
My advice...

RELAX AND HAVE FUN!!!!:)