PDA

View Full Version : Baseball playoffs

RICHARD
10-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Good luck to everyone rooting for your respective teams....

I wish I lived back east....

I'd like to run the streets after the Bosox win the World Series.

Who is this "bambino" character and why won't he leave you alone??
;)

-------------------------

I guess I have to root for the Astros, geographically of course!

Go Red Sox!!!!!

Samantha Puppy
10-12-2004, 07:08 PM
I root for two teams at all times. The Baltimore Orioles and whoever is playing the Yankees.

sammy101
10-12-2004, 07:41 PM
GO ASTROS!!!!

mugsy
10-12-2004, 07:58 PM
The White Sox never made it, so I didn't really care. I know Torii Hunter on the Twins, so I rooted for them, now they're out....I don't know. In the AL I suppose the Yankees, only because I really don't like the BoSox and I'll go with the Astros in the NL because it's something new for them.

lovemyshiba
10-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Go Yanks!!!!!!!!
:D :D :) :D :D

Logan
10-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Poor Braves! :(

Karen
10-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Red Sox! Red Sox! Red Sox!

Any ol' fool can root for the Yankees, it takes a real fan to stick by the Red Sox all these years ...

Pssst - yup, that's me. Red Sox girl from day 1

mugsy
10-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Sorry Karen, I've been anti BoSox since Wade Boggs was playing there....erg...he was such an idiot. I'm no Clemens fan either (I know he's now with Houston, but, Houston is the Cinderella team. Funny, a guy I teach with and I were having this discussion this afternoon while on hall duty!! lol

Buddy Blaze Lover
10-13-2004, 07:55 AM
Red Large GO CARDINALS!! ;)

Buddy Blaze Lover
10-13-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
Go Yanks!!!!!!!!
:D :D :) :D :D

No no no, the Yanks CAN'T win!!!! :D

Buddy Blaze Lover
10-13-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Buddy Blaze Lover
Red LargeGO CARDINALS!! ;)

Oops, I was trying to make that a bigger red color, but I messed up. Oh well! :D

RICHARD
10-13-2004, 07:16 PM
lololol,

Good luck again, great game last night...

And that is what I ask Ed when I hit the screen door...

"Who's YOUR daddy???"

:D

Buddy Blaze Lover
10-14-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by RICHARD
lololol,

Good luck again, great game last night...

And that is what I ask Ed when I hit the screen door...

"Who's YOUR daddy???"

EXACTLY!! :D I know, it was an awesome Cardinals/Astros game last night!! :D

tatsxxx11
10-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Any ol' fool can root for the Yankees, it takes a real fan to stick by the Red Sox all these years ...

Call me an ol' fool then:p I'm a native New Yorker and lifelong baseball fantatic and a proud Yankee fan since my Dad took me to my first game at age 2:D I just wish someone could convince those Red Sox players to spiff up a bit, like maybe get a shave and a haircut:D

MY definition of a real, die hard, loyal baseball fan?...Rooting for the Yankees openly while living in Massachusetts!:D Having to listen to their anti New York, anti Yankee diatribe endlessly, day after day, year after year, gets SO old! Win it already and stop the whining!:p

RICHARD
10-15-2004, 11:32 AM
O.k.

Enough of this.....

Big W tonight...

Sox!:D

tatsxxx11
10-15-2004, 12:43 PM
Man, those Cardinals are GOOD! I love seeing those former Yankees Andy P and Clemmens pitch and would love to see them in the series, but you've got give those Cardinals their due! Ought to be a good game tonight in Boston, if the rain holds off!

lovemyshiba
10-17-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Buddy Blaze Lover
No no no, the Yanks CAN'T win!!!! :D

Can't they????:p :p :D :cool:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/specials/postseason/2004/10/17/bc.bba.alcs.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

tatsxxx11
10-17-2004, 07:05 AM
They sure did win last night!!!:eek: Had to feel bad for the Boston fans...just a little;)

RICHARD
10-18-2004, 11:34 AM
Toes on the brink of elimination......

Elimination blinked!!:D

lovemyshiba
10-18-2004, 02:06 PM
That was a good game last night--12 innings!!!!!

We'll see what happens tonight!!!

tatsxxx11
10-18-2004, 02:40 PM
I stayed up for the WHOLE thing!!!:eek: Good thing today's game is on at 5pm. I don't think I could stay awake that long, 2 nights in a row! GO YANKEES!!!:)

Rachel
10-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
I stayed up for the WHOLE thing!!!:eek: Good thing today's game is on at 5pm. I don't think I could stay awake that long, 2 nights in a row! GO YANKEES!!!:)

I thought about you when I heard how late that game ran and then again when I heard the result. Your watching must have been a lucky charm.

RICHARD
10-18-2004, 04:09 PM
Good thing today's game is on at 5pm. I don't think I could stay awake that long, 2 nights in a row! GO YANKEES!!!:)

A real fan would check their sick leave account!!!

;)

Logan
10-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Looks like you had another late night, Sandra!!!!! :D

Wow, what a game!!! You are my good, good friend, but I have to tell you, I was pulling for the Red Sox, not the Yankees!!!! :)

Karen
10-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Yay Red Sox!!!!!

RICHARD
10-18-2004, 10:10 PM
blessed bovine!;)

RICHARD
10-19-2004, 12:30 PM
Playoff baseball is not watched.

It's a roller coaster ride.
It's held breaths.
It's a great catch.
A called strike.
A foul ball.
It's clasped hands under your chin.
It's bedlam.
It's a prayer to the god of baseball.
It's a missed scoring chance.
It's a run!
It's extra innings.
It's a warrior/pitcher carried off the mound on his shield.
It's a hero carried off the field on his teammates shoulders.

Playoff baseball is not watched.

It's experienced!

tatsxxx11
10-19-2004, 12:59 PM
OMG! I LOVE baseball!!! I love YOU! Richard, that was great! Can I print that off? You captured the essence of the game pefectly...sniff, sniff. I need a man in my life that shares my passion...are you "game" for a long distance affair de couer???;)

What a game! I know, eveyone here's a football fanatic. But there's something so appealing about this simple game...the incredible history, the personal nature of the whole thing...one pitcher facing one batter...a duel! The camera zooms in so close you can see the sweat on their lips, each blink of the eye. And the best part? It's the only team game without a time clock. As we've learned this week, it aint' over till it's over. It can be 10 nothing, 2 outs, 2 strikes and that last batter can turn the whole thing aournd with one hit. Grown men playing a kids game, running around on the grass on a hot summer's night blowing Bazooka bubbles out their mouths, not coke up their noses! No silicone enchanced jigglers teasing from the sidelines, but fresh faced young bat and ball girls and boys, tripping over themselves:D No hyped up, over produced, over the top half time shows with wardrobe malfuntions, but 55,000 weary fans doing the 7th inning stretch while the organ belts out "Take Me Out to the Ballgame!" No wired up refs and managers communicating with the players using headsets and microphones, but coaches using handsignals...tugging their ears, patting their butts and grabbing their, well you know, to signal the "go!" Actually, they say it's the most difficult feat in sport, hitting that little horsehair ball with that stick! Yes, I'm a baseball nut:D THANK YOU DADDY!:)

Make that 3 nights of no sleep:rolleyes: Rooting for Kerry, the Yankees, guess I'm not in the "in" crowd!:D You know Miss Logan, the Red Sox are not the underdogs! They were the favorites by far going in. So this die hard democrat, bleeding heart liberal, will keep fighting the good fight for the disadvantaged and underprivileged;) I just can't root for a team that doesn't practice basic grooming...GET A HAIRCUT:D The Yankees just have to win. I need my fill of those handsome hunks (swoon...swoon) Derek Jetter and ARod before the long, cold winter!!!;) Then again, there's always "Classic Baseball" on ESPN to tide me over till April!

RICHARD
10-19-2004, 01:07 PM
Make that 3 nights of no sleep:rolleyes:

Somewhere Back East....

Hello? *cough, cough* I won't be in today. I'm not feeling well....
can you tell the boss??

*cough, cough* Thanks.........

Click

Let's see.....Go to the store.......get some hot dogs.......some beer and ........ummmm.......CHIPS!!!!...

Game seven.....I don't believe it!!!;)

-----------------------------------------------------

I have 5 'sports days off' in my sick/vacation fund....

*cough, cough* I think I am going to be sick myself!!!!

-------------------------------

I went a visiting after Game 4..

MY mom thinks that the Bosox players should clean up a bit....

"they look like they smell, and those helmets....."

:eek:

tatsxxx11
10-19-2004, 01:18 PM
YES, YES, YES...It's not just the greasy, long hair, the unhemmed uniforms...it's those helmets!!! OMG! Someone else noticed! ROFLOL! Who's your mom, Richard??? OOOOOPS, make that "WHOSE YOUR DADDY!" :D:D:D I edited my previous post. Go back to read my "Ode to Richard") (And baseball!)

Logan
10-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Sandra, I think I said this before, but I don't really care who wins. I just pulled for the Red Sox because I like them better than I like the Yankees (then Yankees win too much ;) ), but I know very little about either team because when we watch baseball (which I love too), we're Braves fans, period. Too bad our "boys of summer" didn't fare so well in the playoffs! :o If the Red Sox are "nasty" looking, their mothers ought to be straightening them out!!!!! :p I will admit that I really admire the Yankee's manager, Joe Torre.

I think you and Richard ought to send your descriptions of baseball and the playoff to Major League Baseball officials! What beautiful descriptions of America's pasttime!!!!! :)

mugsy
10-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Well, since I would like to see the Yankees and Astros in the Series, I'm relatively certain it will be the Red Sox and Cardinals! lol In all honesty since my White Sox aren't in it, I really don't care!! I just like baseball. Both games last night were good...I watched both in between football breaks! lol

RICHARD
10-19-2004, 02:01 PM
YES, YES, YES...It's not just the greasy, long hair, the unhemmed uniforms...it's those helmets!!! OMG! Someone else noticed! ROFLOL! Who's your mom, Richard??? OOOOOPS, make that "WHOSE YOUR DADDY!" :D:D:D

LOL,

The only line that I cannot take credit for is the "pitcher carried off on his shield"...

Vin Scully, the announcer for the Dodgers, is a complete master when he does the games (since 1951!!!!)-- coined that phrase.....
You can literally see the guy, spiked shoes, glove in hand, appendages hanging over the sides as he's taken off...

I am enamoured of his 'painting a picture' when I hear him.

---------------------------------------------

Affair de couer??

LOL,

Only if it involves the smell of GRILLED hot dogs as you walk into the Blue level of Dodger Stadium..Mustard, onions and relish..
The giant frozen Carnation milk shakes you eat with the flat wooden spoon, peanuts shells that crunch as you shuffle your feet, the organist serenading us by playing "CHARGE" the obligatory three times in a row.. ICE COLD BEER..a score card that looks like third grade math homework????

But I draw the line at Barry Bonds!!!

--------------------------------------------------

And you always wonder why us men have always compared 'wooing' women with first base, second base...etc.

--------------------------------------------------

Who's my Daddy???

;)

---------------------------------------------------

Logan.

You may not believe this, but I am a casual fan....but way back when..

I was a HUGE Dale Murphy fan.......I loved to watch him play...George Brett and Ron Cey, I am an 80's baseball kind of guy!!!
I get pumped up for the playoffs.....

This has been the best week for the game......

The only thing that can top this is if ALL the World Series games go 20 innings......:eek:

tatsxxx11
10-19-2004, 02:17 PM
I'm with you Mugsy...Houston and New York would be great and I wouldn't mind a bit seeing Houston win!

There is no doubt in my mind that it's not the Yankee "moms' that keep them so spiffy looking but that tyrannt George Steinbrenner! I'm sure it's written into their contracts, the appropriate code of dress for a New York Yankee! My kind of guy:D

Oh, I know you don't care who wins Logan. Just thought I'd share what came as a surprise to me, that the Yankees are acutally underdogs, having not as good stats as the Red Sox. I enjoy the game, no matter who wins:)

Karen
10-19-2004, 02:44 PM
But the Yankees have such a humongous payroll that any team would be the underdogs compared to them.

That, coupled with the arrogance of certain individuals in management, make me root against them even when they aren't playing my beloved underdog Red Soxs.

Hey, they may be shaggy, but they're real guys!

Buddy Blaze Lover
10-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Yay Red Sox!!!!!

:D:D:D:D I'll hope they'll pull through!! And let's go Cardinals on the other side! :D (oh no...they can't lose!!!) :eek:

RICHARD
10-19-2004, 02:58 PM

Hey, they may be shaggy, but they're real guys!

I like the contrast between the Sox and Yanks..

It's corporate against small business,

Spit shine against plain ol' spit.

Laptop versus Fingers.

City block against back 40.

Limos against Tractors

Martinis against beer.

But in the end, it's All American.

;)

Rachel
10-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Sandra, I think you and Richard ought to send your descriptions of baseball and the playoff to Major League Baseball officials! What beautiful descriptions of America's pasttime!!!!! :)

I agree! I almost can't wait until next spring to start watching BASEBALL. We have a Midwest Class A team and stadium (Kane County Cougars) right here in Geneva, and I think that's how I will start out. I've never followed any sports but after reading what you wrote, Sandra, I am almost giddy about exploring the possibility.

tatsxxx11
10-19-2004, 04:08 PM
Yea, I've got a baseball bud in Rachel:D Wouldn't that be fun, Rach:D You know, your Chicago Cubbies have an awesome baseball history! I was SO rooting for you guys to pull it out last year!

But the Yankees have such a humongous payroll that any team would be the underdogs compared to them.

Let me preface by saying this is all in fun:)

AGAIN, the Yankees are the underdog! Boston went into the series as the favorite, with the best stats, better pitching, bullpen. If they don't win, they have no one to blame but themselves!

Oh, I can hear the violins playing now:D:D:D If you were talking about an expsansion team, Tampa, Arizonia, maybe. But we're talking about Boston here and Boston management has plenty of payroll to pass around, witness: That whining 17 million dollar prima dona/psycho Pedro Martinez! Yes, the Yankees have the largest payroll in baseball, 185 million, but guess which team has the second? Yup, Boston at 127 million. Considering NYC is considered the financial capital of the world, with 8 million people, I'd say Boston's ain't doing too bad!!! But it's also about signing the right players at the right time, to do the job, just not the multi million dollar divas. Here's a little info...Note, but ONE Yankee on the list...2 Red Sox!

History of highest-paid players
Associated Press

The evolution of baseball's highest-paid players since Kirby Puckett become the first $3 million player. Salaries listed are average annual values for multi-year deals.

Show me the money
Date Player Team Salary
Nov. 22, 1989 Kirby Puckett Twins $3,000,000
Nov. 28, 1989 Rickey Henderson Athletics $3,000,000
Dec. 1, 1989 Mark Langston Angels $3,250,000
Dec. 11, 1989 Mark Davis Royals $3,250,000
Jan. 17, 1990 Dave Stewart Athletics $3,550,000
Jan. 22, 1990 Will Clark Giants $3,750,000
April 9, 1990 Don Mattingly Yankees $3,860,000
June 27, 1990 Jose Canseco Athletics $4,700,000
Feb. 8, 1991 Roger Clemens Red Sox $5,380,250
Dec. 2, 1991 Bobby Bonilla Mets $5,800,000
March 2, 1992 Ryne Sandberg Cubs $7,100,000
Dec. 8, 1992 Barry Bonds Giants $7,291,666
Jan. 31, 1996 Ken Griffey Jr. Mariners $8,500,000
Nov. 19, 1996 Albert Belle White Sox $11,000,000
Feb. 20, 1997 Barry Bonds Giants $11,450,000
Aug. 10, 1997 Greg Maddux Braves $11,500,000
Dec. 12, 1997 Pedro Martinez Red Sox $12,500,000
Oct. 26, 1998 Mike Piazza Mets $13,000,000
Nov. 15, 1998 Mo Vaughn Angels $13,333,333
Dec. 12, 1998 Kevin Brown Dodgers $15,000,000

From 1989 to 1998, but one Yankee on the highest paid list!

Boston management had all but sewed up the deal to sign ARod last year and they backed out right at the end. Collective bargaining and the player's union would not allow a cut in his previous 252 million, 10 year contract with the Rangers. The Yankees didn't pay him one dime more than his precious contract. They only agreed to honor the contract ARod already had with the Texas Rangers...252 million over 10 years. Gee, wonder where Texas came up with those beau coup bucks???;)

Think of all of the major mega stars of the past several years; who can name one that's a Yankee? Jeter came up from the minors, a high school/college star out of NYC. How come those teams with the Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosas, the batting title winners, Cy Young award winners, haven't consistently been on top??? Because something magical happens when you become a Yankee. And that's a fact!!!:p I think Boston needs to reassess it's management, after all, they let go Babe Ruth, Roger Clemmens...you had 'em and you let 'em go and they came to NY and that's where they won. And now Pedro wants to leave the Red Sox too and become a Yankee. Heaven forbid:D

The Yankees can point to an illustrious history, an incomparable legacy of success for decades before the era of "big bucks baseball." From Babe Ruth to Lou Gehrig to Mickey Mantle. Those guys were paid peanuts but in a Yankee uniform, they were millionaires in the best sense of the word!

And you know, I have trouble rooting for a team that has fans that drive around with bumper stickers on their cars proclaiming YANKEES SUCK and YANKEE FANS, DROP DEAD. Whoa!:D

RICHARD
10-19-2004, 04:17 PM

Nov. 22, 1989 Kirby Puckett Twins $3,000,000
Nov. 28, 1989 Rickey Henderson Athletics $3,000,000
Dec. 1, 1989 Mark Langston Angels $3,250,000
Dec. 11, 1989 Mark Davis Royals $3,250,000
Jan. 17, 1990 Dave Stewart Athletics $3,550,000
Jan. 22, 1990 Will Clark Giants $3,750,000
April 9, 1990 Don Mattingly Yankees $3,860,000
June 27, 1990 Jose Canseco Athletics $4,700,000
Feb. 8, 1991 Roger Clemens Red Sox $5,380,250
Dec. 2, 1991 Bobby Bonilla Mets $5,800,000
March 2, 1992 Ryne Sandberg Cubs $7,100,000
Dec. 8, 1992 Barry Bonds Giants $7,291,666
Jan. 31, 1996 Ken Griffey Jr. Mariners $8,500,000
Nov. 19, 1996 Albert Belle White Sox $11,000,000
Feb. 20, 1997 Barry Bonds Giants $11,450,000
Aug. 10, 1997 Greg Maddux Braves $11,500,000
Dec. 12, 1997 Pedro Martinez Red Sox $12,500,000
Oct. 26, 1998 Mike Piazza Mets $13,000,000
Nov. 15, 1998 Mo Vaughn Angels $13,333,333
Dec. 12, 1998 Kevin Brown Dodgers $15,000,000

Red Sox Momentum???

Priceless!!!

--------------------------------------------

Before I forget....

I was driving home last night and was listening to the game on the radio...

As we drove into 'The Valley' the rain stopped and the sky started to clear....I could see the sun shining off the mountains to the east...

There was a line of clouds on the horizon and the sun was just hidden behind them...I was hoping for that last ray of sunlight to peek out and light up the last bit of day....You know, the mythical sign that says, 'everything is going to be O.k.- the Sox will win...."

I didn't get that little bit of sun, But, the Sox did win.

There is a baseball god out there......I know it!:D

tatsxxx11
10-19-2004, 04:39 PM
ROFLOL!!! Oh Richard, just what the Sox need...a little left coast mysticism and you rooting for them! I think they ARE a shoe in:D I DO BELIEVE, I DO BELIEVE, I DO BELIEVE!!!!

As we drove into 'The Valley' the rain stopped and the sky started to clear....I could see the sun shining off the mountains to the east...

OMG! I think you were on that same long and winding road Regan took us down during his closing remarks at first Reagan/Modale debate;) Must be a Cali-Fohn-Yah thing...Did I spell that right, Richard?:D

RICHARD
10-19-2004, 05:27 PM
I think they ARE a shoe in:D

Of course they are..

"Sox" first, "shoe in" second.

At least that's the way mom taught me to dress.
:rolleyes: :confused:

-------------------------------

What are the odds we get another barn burner???

--------------------------------

This is the reason I have to believe.....

Back in '80 I bought tickets to one of the last Dodger games of the year(Saturday). Unbeknownst to me my best friend bought another pair to the same weekend-for Friday night....

Later he picked up a three of tickets to a concert on Saturday night-one for his GF and one for me.....

I didn't think about the baseball tickets until it was too late.

The Dodgers and Astros were in the pennant race and on that last weekend the Dodgers were behind by three games.....

Win three, get a Monday playoff game!!!

Then the Baseball gods began to smile.....

The Satuday game was moved to 10 a.m. for a national TV audience, from a 7 o'clock start on Saturday night.....SOOOOO, If the Dodgers lose on Friday, we give away the tickets for the game and go to the concert...

Friday night,

You could feel the electricity in the stadium.....
They win the game on a late inning home run....I have never hugged so many men and women strangers in one evening!!

Two games behind.

Saturday morning, I wake up and can't move my legs....I rolled out of bed and looked and my shins...(I was also so hung over, it wasn't funny!) I check my legs and they are bruised from smashing into the seat in front of me......Never felt a thing.

We get to the game, more electricity!!! ----- ANOTHER late inning, game winning tater.....

More hugs!!

One game behind..

We get to the concert that night and I was miserable....

The following day, Sunday, I flew to work and just as I walked into the office.....BOOM another game winning home run!!

TIED, ONE GAME PLAYOFF!!

On Monday Tommy Lasorda pitched Dave Goltz and the season ended with a 7-2 loss......

Two games and a concert, three game winning home runs and a playoff game in four days......

Who else but a benevolent sports god would do that for a punk like me???

Good luck and we'll see what happens!!

tatsxxx11
10-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Richard...And you call yourself a "casual" fan!!! Hmmm....:):):) Gave me goosebumps! Could it be you're baseball's original "lucky charm?"

Rachel wrote....
I agree! I almost can't wait until next spring to start watching BASEBALL. We have a Midwest Class A team and stadium (Kane County Cougars) right here in Geneva, and I think that's how I will start out. I've never followed any sports but after reading what you wrote, Sandra, I am almost giddy about exploring the possibility.

Oh Rach, wish I could be there to go with you! You know, Class A baseball is AWESOME!!! Cape Cod's league has sent more players to the majors than any in the country! It's great baseball, Rachel. A evening summer game, so close to the field you can almost reach out and touch the players, hear them breathe, see their muscles ripple. The smack of the bat, the umpire yelling.......You'rrrrrrrrrrrrrre out! Heaven! I'm gonna hold you to this:)

Looks like no rain out! I don't think I can subject myself to this torture again:D Good luck all!

RICHARD
10-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Richard...And you call yourself a "casual" fan!!! Hmmm....:):):) Gave me goosebumps!

We have a Seattle Mariners team out in the desert just to the north of here, the Lancaster Jethawks......In the afternoon the wind blows in from left and there are homeruns that go OVER the fence and FALL BACK IN the field of play.....HONEST!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------

Well,
Let me astound you with another story...:rolleyes:

There used to be a batting cage/arcade in Van Nuys called Buddy's Bat-away..

I'd go over and hit some balls for about an hour, softball practice....

It was about 11 in the morning...I stop for a moment and sit down on a bench when a silver Porsche 911 pills up in front of the gate....

The door opens and this man unfolds himself from the driver's side and goes to the front of the car, opens up the trunk and pulls out a bat....

I've seen this guy before.....and it's......it's.........it's

Dusty 'F.N.' Baker!!!! NOT to be confused with Bucky 'F.N.' Dent!!!

Baker had just been released from the Dodgers and was waiting to be picked up.....The Giants would later benefit from this gaffe....

There were three other kids hanging around and they were waiting for him to finish his hitting.....

He gave one of the kids batting tips....The kid jumped into the "super fast" cage and Baker teased him that 'no one threw that fast'. He went on to finish and when he was done he came right over to the bench where I was and sat down..

I do not do well with famous people. Baker was not a minor god to me, but someone to be worshipped....The kids hung around and got autographs from him, they brought up the questions as to why the Dodgers released him (there was talk that he was on drugs, a charge that was never proven)- He answered with a salty retort....Bucky's middle name!!!

I sat there like a dork, smile on my face and just listening.....He turned to me and asked me, not in that pompous "hey, I'm famous-look at me!!" way, "Would you like an autograph?"

He sensed I was stunned and was trying to work up the nerve!

He did give me two autographs before I left....

I do have to say that he was the nicest sports guys I have ever met....It was a real pleasure to met him!!!!

I hadn't thought about that meeting in years....

It was that story or the time I ran into Herve "da plane, da plane"
Villecheve in the supermarket....
:p

tatsxxx11
10-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Dusty Baker!!! No freakin' way:eek: :eek: :eek: That's it, I'm moving:D He was always a hero of mine too! Dusty AND Herve in one lifetime...every human should be so blessed:D

Dusty 'F.N.' Baker!!!! NOT to be confused with Bucky 'F.N.' Dent!!!

Oh no, we're not going THERE are we??? lol!

Well, Fox Boston just reported from the stadium that Yankee fans are totally demoralized, silent, hanging their heads and ready for their whoppin'. I wanna go home:D

RICHARD
10-19-2004, 11:22 PM

manda_moo87
10-19-2004, 11:25 PM
GO BOSTON!!!

lovemyshiba
10-20-2004, 07:54 AM
What a great series!!!
I'll be on the edge of my chair tonight!!!!

Hopefully there won't be any need for the riot gear at the game tonight.

Logan
10-20-2004, 08:46 AM
I fell asleep before it was over last night. :o It was 4-1 when I turned it off (8th inning, I think). What a fun series!!!! :)

RICHARD
10-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I fell asleep before it was over last night. :o It was 4-1 when I turned it off (8th inning, I think). What a fun series!!!! :)

People on the east coast are screwed when it comes to sports.

The games start at 8 and if it's extra innings or overtime....

I was watching the shots of the scoreboard clock last night and thought, "dang, it midnight over there...."

Maybe that's why east coast fans are more RABID....The moon is up by then!!!!

----------------------------------------------

I do have two Fernando Valenzuela, one Ralph Garr, a Derrel Thomas and Bruce Bochy stories left....

-------------------------------------------------

I'm not going to say anything more.......but I am going out to buy some lotto tickets!!

tatsxxx11
10-20-2004, 12:10 PM
I think I can chalk up my rabidness to sleep deprivation:D Just like last year, a 7th game cliff hanger! You know they say, that 27th ring is the hardest one to win;) Maybe the ghost of Ruth has finally "left the building!":D

RICHARD
10-20-2004, 12:21 PM
I think I can chalk up my rabidness to sleep deprivation:D Just like last year, a 7th game cliff hanger! You know they say, that 27th ring is the hardest one to win;) Maybe the ghost of Ruth has finally "left the building!":D

I guess after the 20th ring you have to start finding places to wear them...:eek:

Good luck tonight......

I have the feeling that the Bambino hasn't gone quite yet!

RICHARD
10-20-2004, 07:13 PM
HOLY TOLEDO!!!!
GOOD JOB SAN LUIS!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE BASEBALL FANS TONIGHT.....

Beisbol been berry, berry gud to me!!!:D

doggylovr6
10-20-2004, 07:23 PM
im originally a dodger fan but im rooting to the YANKEES!!!!!!

YANKEES! YANKEES! YANKEES!

andrea

RICHARD
10-20-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by doggylovr6
im originally a dodger fan but im rooting to the YANKEES!!!!!!

YANKEES! YANKEES! YANKEES!

andrea

Baseball god,

Let their bats be loud, the crowd louder.
Keep the players safe and make their throws be true.
Keep the leather soft and let the players feet grow swift.
Keep the mote from the umpire's eye, Keep their judgement
sound.
Keep the fans off the field;),

And keep Boston and New York under your watchful eye tonight.

AMEN!

Andrea.

Sorry about that!!:eek:

Logan
10-20-2004, 09:16 PM
So far, so good for the Red Sox fans!!!!!! :) See ya in the morning, folks!!! It's 8-1 and I'm signing off!!! :p

Karen
10-21-2004, 07:31 AM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite color may be blue
But my Sox are surely Red
At last the pinstripes vanquished are
And Red Sox fans both near and far
Though bleary-eyed and punchy they may be
Found glee in watching them make history!

Maresche
10-21-2004, 07:42 AM
I promised myself I'd not cry,
Not a tear would escape from my eye.
But those Old Yankee Blokes
on the Red Soxs did choke,
and now I'm laughing so hard I may die.

composed by hubby this morning on hearing of the Red Sox victory!

Buddy Blaze Lover
10-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite color may be blue
But my Sox are surely Red
At last the pinstripes vanquished are
And Red Sox fans both near and far
Though bleary-eyed and punchy they may be
Found glee in watching them make history!

YES YES YES!!! Red Sox RULE!:D Not that they're my favorite team, but hey, I like them...they beat the Yanks and made history!!!! ;) And go Cardinals tonight!

LoudLou
10-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Reverse the Curse!

Rachel
10-21-2004, 10:36 AM
There is no joy in Gotham, the Mighty Yankees have struck out!:(

Logan
10-21-2004, 11:03 AM
I just heard them interview a guy on the news (a Red Sox fan) and he said "This is the best thing to happen to this city since the Boston Tea Party". Ha Ha!!! :)

Samantha Puppy
10-21-2004, 11:04 AM
THERE IS A GOD!!!!!! :D :D :D

I usually feel sorry for the losing team in the playoffs, but I can honestly say that the only person I felt sorry for last night was Derek Jeter, and that's because he's a great player and works hard for that team. A-Rod? I laughed when they showed him scowling in the dugout. I am SO freakin' happy the Yankees aren't in the Series. :D :D :D

Buddy Blaze Lover
10-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
THERE IS A GOD!!!!!! :D :D :D

I usually feel sorry for the losing team in the playoffs, but I can honestly say that the only person I felt sorry for last night was Derek Jeter, and that's because he's a great player and works hard for that team. A-Rod? I laughed when they showed him scowling in the dugout. I am SO freakin' happy the Yankees aren't in the Series. :D :D :D

Same here!! I couldn't believe how terrible Jeter and A-Rod played too...made me feel KINDA bad for them, but SO happy for the Red Sox! Damon finally got into the game! :D

RICHARD
10-22-2004, 11:40 AM
The series is Red
the Yankees are Blue.
just seven more games,
and the season bids adieu!!

If anyone needs anything from the baseball god, let me know!
:rolleyes:

RICHARD
10-23-2004, 02:16 PM

Please give us a series with ohhs and ahhs,
Extra inning games, great pitching, offense and defense.
Give us the energy and courage to watch the end of each game.
Please keep our score cards legible and the announcers bearable.
Keep the scores close, the chips and salsa fresh and
Let all the good plays happen when I am in front of the set-

Not while I'm getting rid of the "used" beer in the bathroom.

Amen.

tatsxxx11
10-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Amen to that Rich!:D By the way, just how much is used beer going for on the open market these days?:D:D:D

Too bad Clemmens couldn't have had one more shot at a title. But the Cardinals are awesome and it should be a good series.

More importantly, let's hope and pray, no more rioting or violence as happened the other night. The entire city was stunned and sickened over the death of that young college woman, Victoria Snelgrove, Thursday night as the police attempted to break up the rioting with mace pellets...she was struck in the eye and died:( Over turned trucks were set on fire, traffic lights torn down, beer bottles, and trash set ablaze, were thrown at the police:( A young man was killed last year in Boston after the Patriot's Super Bowl win last year. The mayor was thinking of banning the sale of alcohol within a certain perimeter of the stadium, but has have settled upon a very visible police presence and no cameras in bars.

Enjoy the game!

RICHARD
10-25-2004, 11:35 AM
The mayor was thinking of banning the sale of alcohol within a certain perimeter of the stadium, but has have settled upon a very visible police presence and no cameras in bars.

Enjoy the game!

I heard that some 'beer broker' company said that the beer wasn't at fault.....it was the teenagers.....

If teenagers can't drink????

Very disturbing.......
------------------------

What great baseball. Sat's game was fun to watch.
last night's was good too.....

Halfway there....don't count the chickens tho...;)

RICHARD
10-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Baseball is just a sport...but it's fun to 'live and die' a little each day with your team.....It's wonderful that the world has caught 'baseball fever' with this quirky sport.....

I can see young kids from all around the world particpating in this great game.......or maybe not ;)

Back in 1984 the Lost Angeles Olympics were the games where baseball was introduced as a part of the whole experience!!

The opening ceremonies were held before the first pitch of a double header!!

Italy, Chinese Tapei, the US and Canada were on the schedule that night....

I browsed thru the catalogue and saw some names like Mark Mcguire, Will Clark, Chris Gywnn and Barry Larkin.....A bunch of college kids that were supposed to be pretty good...;)

The first game was fantastic......During the intermission between games I took a walk to grab a drink and use the restroom.....

As I approached the facilities I saw the Italian team congregated
by the elevators, signing autographs and taking time to mingle...

I wanted to show my appreciation for the show they put on. As I walked by one of the players I patted him on the shoulder and said, "Nice game!" For a split second I thought this guy wouldn't understand what I was talking about.....He turned and said to me, in English better than mine...."Thanks alot!!!"

:confused:

It wasn't until later on that I found out that many college and minor league players used their dual citizenship to play for their 'home' countries!!!!

To this day, when I see a foreign baseball player being interviewed, I laugh and remember that day back in 84.

-------------------------------------------

One other nice coincidence about that '84 team was a kid by the name of Flavio Alfaro..He was a neighborhood kid that played with my brother....He brought his silver medal back to the 'hood and let everyone share it!!! A very nice gesture!!:D

RICHARD
10-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Robert Merrill passed away.......

:(

He's singing with the angels now!

tatsxxx11
10-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Very sad indeed Richard. Robert Merrill sang the Natl. Anthem many times at Yankee stadium during his amazing career. He was a dear man with an amazing voice and much loved by New Yorkers, Yankee fans and people all over the world.

RICHARD
10-26-2004, 07:26 PM
LOLOLOLOLOL....

I was listening to the player intros....the stadium organist kept playing the "budweiser" theme over and over again.....

I almost put a pencil in my ear...

Martina Mcbride.......Good job on the National Anthem...

:)

Here we go!!!!!

Good luck!

The baseball god has a day off today!

RICHARD
10-27-2004, 04:25 PM
My Ralph Garr story.

Since baseball season is winding down I thought I'd tell the story of how 4 guys took a Major League baseball player out of a game.

Towards the end of the school year we were looking for something to do, kind of a last fling before summer vacation.

We decided to go to a Dodger game.....

We picked up some tickets for the left field pavillion and settled in for the game. The Atlanta Braves were in town and we thought it would be fun to rag on the guy in center field...Ralph Garr.

Bottom of the first......

RALPH! One guy yelling..

Ralph was a slang term for throwing up at the time, example?? He ralphed all over his jeans

Bottom 2,

RRRaalph! Two guys yelling. While he trotted out to his position.

Bottom 3,

RRRRAAAAAAALLLLLPPPPPPPPHHHHH! All four of us....

Bottom 4

RRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPHHHHH.

All four of us, every other pitch.

Poor dude would turn around and look toward the area where we were sitting. We'd stop when he looked....and start right up again when he'd turn back around.

As we warmed up for the last few inninngs we looked for Ralph and he wasn't there......

We spent the last part of the game ragging on the new center fielder, but no one was as special as Ralph Garr.

I don't know if he took himself out of the game or if the manager did....

The next season he went to play for the Chicago White Sox.

I have often wondered if he asked to go to Chicago, knowing he'd never have to come back to Lost Angeles again!!!

Karen
10-27-2004, 11:05 PM
The Red Sox Rule!

The Boston Red Sox have just won the World Series! Whaaahoooooo!
Yay! Wheeeeee!

(Joke all you want about certain warm places freezing over - I don't care! The Red Sox won!!!)

gini
10-27-2004, 11:16 PM
As a kid growing up in Ohio.........everyone in my family used to root for the Boston Red Sox. That influenced me. So as I grew up I always rooted for the Boston Red Sox.

Tonight............all of these years later..........my rooting finally paid off.

YAY...........RED SOX...........THE BEST!

Buddy Blaze Lover
10-28-2004, 07:42 AM
The Red Sox Rule!

The Boston Red Sox have just won the World Series! Whaaahoooooo!
Yay! Wheeeeee!

(Joke all you want about certain warm places freezing over - I don't care! The Red Sox won!!!)

WOW, I still can't believe they won! I was going for the Cards, but that's ok for the sake of the Red Sox. Wow!:)

RICHARD
10-28-2004, 03:46 PM
CONGRATULATIONS Sox and fans...

Good Job and great baseball......

It was fun to become a fan again.
--------------------------------

Hey, baseball god?

Thanks for all the fun.
It was great-the drama, the history, the hits, runs, catches, players and the fans......Never say die..

Keep everybody safe and let them party on!

P.S.

One more thing baseball god????

I think that you do have a sense of humor. Scheduling the Yankees on opening day at Fenway, 2005 is a stroke of genius...;)

----------------------------------------------

Now that baseball season is over it's time to pray to the football god.

http://store.yahoo.com/bobbleheadworldstore/footjesbobhe.html

Football Jesus,

Are you there??? Since the Raiders aren't doing anything this year, can you at least make them competitive??

Amen.

tatsxxx11
10-28-2004, 05:52 PM
Richard....:p:p:p And with any luck, it'll be Pedro Martinez on the mound, for the Yankees:p Yes, he'll be a free agent and is considering talks with "George!":rolleyes: Thanks for being my baseball bud, walking down memory lane with me, the past few weeks! I thoroughly enjoyed you sharing your memories with us! A true fan for sure!:) Hey, Spring training's just what, 3-4 months away!

Freckles
10-28-2004, 06:36 PM
The only bad thing about winning four straight is NO MORE GAMES UNTIL NEXT SPRING!:(

Logan
10-28-2004, 06:41 PM
I totally agree, Joan!!!! :(

RICHARD
10-28-2004, 07:28 PM
Richard....:p:p:p And with any luck, it'll be Pedro Martinez on the mound, for the Yankees:p Yes, he'll be a free agent and is considering talks with "George!":rolleyes: Thanks for being my baseball bud, walking down memory lane with me, the past few weeks! I thoroughly enjoyed you sharing your memories with us! A true fan for sure!:) Hey, Spring training's just what, 3-4 months away!

LOLOLOL, Thank you..

I still have some Fernando Valenzuela stories left for opening day.

3-4 months...

Just think about next spring.

The fresh young arms will start unfurling and the vets with start
working out their kinks. The grass will look a little bit greener and smell sweeter in one stadium in the north east.

All us fans will be sharpening our scoring pencils, looking for familiar names and strange people in new uniforms.

Some captains will move on to helm new ships, some old salts will remain at the wheel-and the dream starts all over again..

A date in October.

With the 'fat lady' singing your song!!

IT was fun......but do we dare do it for a whole season???:eek: