PDA

View Full Version : Do you use litter additives?

NoahsMommy
10-12-2004, 12:18 AM
I add "Fresh & Clean" Cat Litter Deodorizer (Arm & Hammer) to the cat litter each time I add new litter to the cat boxes. It works really well to extend the life of the cat litter we buy (Fresh Step).

It seems like its just scented baking soda and I'm wondering if I added that if it would do the same thing?

Anyone else add anything to their litter boxes? If so, what?

:)

Kater
10-12-2004, 03:55 AM
At my house we sprinkle in a bit of baking soda when we add litter to Nipo's box. At 99 cents a box, it's a great deal! :D
Maybe you could do plain baking soda in one box and compare the results to your Cat Litter Deodorizer. You might be pleasantly surprised! :)

nibblets
10-12-2004, 07:19 AM
I use Fresh Step with the deodorizing crystals mixed in it and that seems to be enough. I have only one kitty using though so that makes a difference too.

cruisetime
10-12-2004, 08:51 AM
My kitty stinks! So I have tried adding the baking soda to the litter. Seems to help some. I'm thinking that maybe it is the antibiotics my kitty in on - she is off now so I'm waiting to see - smell! YUK! I do used Fresh step Cedar (first box) and will try the regular Fresh Step next time. I also have the clay litter mixed in as she likes to dig and bury her stuff and it seems like good filler instead of all Fresh Step (very expensive!). Also the clay doesnt' track so bad and seems to help. Debbie

jazzcat
10-12-2004, 09:18 AM
I voted no, just litter because normally that is the case but now with the kittens their box is a bit stinky so I add just a tiny bit of baking soda to the bottom. It seems to help.

Felicia's Mom
10-12-2004, 09:29 AM
Since I always have baking soda, I add that. I never think of adding it as often as I should, so it probably doesn't do much good.

mina'smomma
10-12-2004, 10:42 AM
I use Fresh Step with crystals for Mina. Basically because she doesn't like anything else. Its not bad for her is it?

shais_mom
10-12-2004, 12:31 PM
I use baking soda or the Arm and Hammer Carpet Cleaner deoderizor. It is the same stuff as the Arm and Hammer litter deoderizor.

sirrahbed
10-12-2004, 01:36 PM
I voted no but I have used thr Arm & Hammer litter prodict and it worked very well - but like you, I wondered if it was simply scented baking soda! I will have to give the plain inexpensive soda a try. We also use Fresh Step exclusively now - feel it is the best after much trial and comparison. I never notice any smell. Well, except when someone leaves a fresh one:o

slick
10-12-2004, 02:00 PM
I just use plain old No Name brand baking soda. I sprinkle a bit at the bottom of the pan before putting in new litter. Usually done once every 2 weeks.

Don Juan's mom
10-12-2004, 02:10 PM
I use a scoopable, flushable litter, and I've found that a little baking soda really helps to get more mileage out of each container. :p

I did try the Arm and Hammer litter deoderizer once, but Don Juan doesn't seem to like that as much. I suspect it smells a little "girly" for him. :D

Liz

RedHedd
10-12-2004, 04:10 PM
I use the Arm & Hammer litter product. I know plain old baking soda should be just as good, but I like the scent and it does seem to help keep the litter a bit fresher.

AmberLee
10-12-2004, 04:35 PM
I use a store-brand litter additive between box changes. I was told baking soda isn't good for cats by a cat-loving friend, but wasn't told why ... sounds like she didn't know what she was talking about?

I do use baking soda when I'm low on the litter additive and it seems equally effective. Maybe I should just switch over again.

catmandu
10-13-2004, 09:28 AM
Just good Old Fashioned Baking Soda!

NoahsMommy
10-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks for your input, guys! Its good to know some use the same thing and have tried Baking Soda. I think I'll try that when this box runs out. :)