PDA

View Full Version : Homework Help..

Amber
10-11-2004, 04:37 PM
In Language arts, my teacher is making us write a essay on "What service to my country means to me" and theirs also a contest to enter, but I'm having a hard time writing it. I'm not much of a writer, so this is hard.

Does anyone have ideas what I can write about? I just need some topics. I have about 167 words so far, but I need 300-400 due Wednesday.

Thanks! :)

lizzielou742
10-11-2004, 05:41 PM
"What service to my country means to me"

Hmmm...I bet she's trying to get you to think outside the box - not just military service, but honoring our Constitution/Bill of Rights/forefathers, that type of thing. If I were you, I'd write one long paragraph each on:

*Exercising your right to vote

*Supporting the causes that are important to you/Campaigning for things/candidates you believe in

*Standing up for what's right - be it for yourself or for others (defending the rights of others)

...etc. and then another paragraph for the conclusion. I bet you could do 300-400 words altogether. That really isn't that much.

I hope I'm interpreting the assignment right!! :D

If you think about it, it's really an opinion she's asking for - she's just looking for it to be laid out in a clear and logical way. She can't fault you for your opinions, right?

Good Luck! :)

Karen
10-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Talk about the sacrifices the military members - AND their families who are separated from them - make every day.

Talk about the work that small-town politicians - your mayor or your town council members do. Call up your ton hall and "interview" whoever answers. Ask them why they work for the local government, what it means to them.

Talk to a teacher you admire - even one from elementary school. They serve our country as much as anyone.

Call you animal control officer - even local service benefits the country as a whole, right? Ask people why they do it!

Talk to family members. Ask them about voting - do they, and why or why not. Ask them what they think are the average citizen's responsibility to serve their country.

Want to use up your word limit in no time? Talk to any World War, Korean War, Vietnam War or Gulf War veteran and ask him or her about serving their country.

Amber
10-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Thanks!

Now I'll have something to write more about. Thanks again! :D

AmberLee
10-11-2004, 06:46 PM
I could also see an environmental focus that would work as a theme, if you're interested.

Ranging from recycling to river/beach reclaimation or re-forestation efforts supporting the local community/country.

You could go a lot of ways with this assignment, but perhaps you'd be better off seeing what sort of focus your teacher has in mind for it... :rolleyes: :p