PDA

View Full Version : book review..Stephen King

RICHARD
10-11-2004, 01:48 PM
I picked up Stephen King's latest collection of short stories a week ago.....

Yikes,

They were pretty bad.

I have always been a HUGE SK fan. I have re-read most of his books.......

When I found that I couldn't get thru most of the stories his latest offering, I picked up 'Four Past Midnight' and saw that he might be scraping the bottom of the barrel......FPM was far and away better writing and more 'story telling'.....

There were two or three stories that were OK but save your time and pass this one up.
:eek: :(

puppyluvs
10-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the advice ;)

DJFyrewolf36
10-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks, Richard! Ive been kind of un-impressed with everything after Green Mile

Im not sure if thats just me being picky though ;)

Twisterdog
10-11-2004, 07:14 PM
My sister and I were having this EXACT conversation this morning ... trying to remember the last thing of King's we read that made us say, "Wow!" It's been a LONG time. We are (were?) both huge SK fans ... and it's been very depressing lately.

I just finished "The Dark Tower" yesterday ... seventh and last in the Gunslinger series. I used to LOVE that series (as I suppose you can see from my avatar), but I'll tell you (without any spoilers, I promise), if you are not immensely and totally devoted to the fate of Roland and ka-tet, you may not want to bother plowing through three 900 pages books. He got WAY out of league with those books, way over his head, IMO ... and it shows. Wolves of the Calla is tolerable, Song of Susannah is deplorable, and The Dark Tower is well .... somewhere in between, with a bad, bad ending. But endings have never really been his best quality.

Plus, the fact that he blatantly copied the entire idea of the series from Tolkien does NOT suit well with me, either. :mad: Have to say, my loyalty to Tolkien will always far, far outweigh mine to SK. I used to adamantly defend SK when people called him nothing more than a mediocre writer of mushy pulp. Now .... I'm rethinking that a bit.

:( Sad. It's a bit like getting a divorce.

K9soul
10-11-2004, 08:47 PM
I used to read a lot of SK too, but I think about the time he published The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon, it just seemed to lose its appeal. The books didn't grab me and pull me in and make it hard to put it down. I'd say The Green Mile was the last book of his that did that to me. I remember reading it, it was the last time I was truly seriously sick with the flu and a high fever, but I just couldn't put it down and I read it almost all in one day.

I read the 3rd book in the Dark Tower series and enjoyed it but didn't read any more after that one. I think I just sort of lost interest in his writings, they started to feel formula.